Wing T Offense is Not a 6a State Title Offense.

64NB95

this discussion is amazing, the answer is what ever the coach knows what to the coach and what plays to the strengths of your team in a particular year.  Looking at the game and looking at the Maryville team it really did not matter what offense or defense the opposing team was using.  We can all go back in time and using prior knowledge and make better decisions but that is not the way it goes in coaching.  Nothing trumps coaching to the strengths of year team and your coaching style.  Hendersonville had an awesome year and i know over 300 coaches sitting at home watching the game on tv that would love to be in their exact same position.  every once in while a good coach can make up for a lack of talent but when you combine great talent with great coaching you have an almost unbeatable combination.  I have a coaching buddy who works at maryville and it is amazing what those kids do to get better and to not be the class that lets all the other classes down in not winning the state championship.  He tells me how often he sees the kids led by the quarterback throwing the ball around without a coach anywhere around, that they set up their own time and do it on their own dime becauase of the pressure and will to win.  If i had a dollar for every time i saw the wing-t rape opposing teams i would not be coaching now, actually i would, and seen the wing-t score 80  or 90 points and everyone next year trying to run that unstoppable offense...no one that coaches would have started this thread i have to believe and i am the first to state that this forum is here for everyones opinion

Wing-t teams aren't putting up 80 plus points in championship games, because they aren't making it to the championship games in 6A. Hendersonville had a good season, but probably would not be there on the other side of the bracket. Why is it that the wing-t isn't ran by more big colleges and NFL teams.

What Auburn runs is nothing more than the wingt out of the gun. Anyone that can't see that is just a wannabe!

You need to go back.and watch some wing t football my friend. You can look up some article that will tell you what kind of offense auburn runs. A lot of people are calling it the power spread. 258 passing attempts are also not normal in a wing t offense either

The WingT is great if you have a speed advantage on everybody and a great line. If you don't then it won't work. 1A&2A it works well. It can be dangerous in bigger schools with the right players but again they better be able to scoot. Too much speed across the board for if in bigger schools. Best to just run right at them. I'm just keeping it real

Edited by TyroneBiggums

Ive been a wing t coach for several years. I love it. The ability to adapt to different personal makes it great. The wingt is still being used in the major collage level just watch on sat and if you no the wing t you will see such plays as the buck, belly, down  and fb trap. Gus does use lots of wing t principles, why they are winning. yes the wing t can win at any level including 6a in Tennessee. If Maryville or Alcoa run the wing t the would still win the state because they have the best studs.  The wing t cannot be stopped if run correctly. To many variations to defend.

I love Maryville's zone read offense. I think the most important reason Maryville has won so many championships is because they have been able to throw the football. I am not just talking about throwing the ball deep. Maryville throws so many screens,Crossing Patterns,Curls,passes in the flat, Those Maryville kids work so hard on the passing game. I know that those kids throw a lot during the summer. You drive by the high school on a tuesday and thursday evening you will see at least 70 kids there. In todays football you have to have a balanced attack.

Balance is indeed needed for an offense to succeed v. opponents with equal or superior talent. Add midline, jet, rocket, quick passing game, boots, waggles, screens, inside and outside veer, along with various funky sets to traditional wing series and championships can be won at any level. Trouble is, there aren't enough young coaches who understand the proper blocking schemes to implement the offense properly. And the playcaller must understand the blocking as well as the opponent's defense.

So, all you guys that are down playing the Wing-T offense, What offense is best to win the state?  I figure it has more to do with coaches coaching and players making plays with a lot of between those 2.  Example:   HARD WORK, DISAPLINE, TEACHING & LEARNING from both Coach/Player, weights/Conditing/Agility, Commitment (Wo, that's a big 1)