Wing T Offense is Not a 6a State Title Offense.

64NB95

Are you a coach? Have you been to a practice at Portland? How many games did you attend this year?

I 'll ask you this, was Coach Crabtree a bad coach this year because they lost 5 games and got beat in the first round by a team that Portland beat in their first fall scrimmage and they were fully healthy? Of course he is a good coach, but they had lost several good players by the end of the season. Portland lost theirs in the second scrimmage and in the week 2 game with White House.

It is amazing that people would give Coach Crabtree the benefit of the doubt, but not the coach or coaches at Portland.

You don't know who I am or what I know, yet act a if I know nothing and didn't see portland at all. Coach Aric is a fine man and a good coach, however I stand by the fact that Bradley's offense was bad. It doesn't matter what you say or throw out, that offense was terrible! Six points per game.

You are grossly misinformed. Bradley was wrong for Westmoreland just like the single wing is wrong for Portland...

You are grossly blinded by your dislike of Coach B and your Westmoreland homerism to admit he was done wrong. I know him and have appreciated the work he has done with my son. As a parent, I can say Portland did not have the horses to compete this year, especially given the injuries they had.

You don't know who I am or what I know, yet act a if I know nothing and didn't see portland at all. Coach Aric is a fine man and a good coach, however I stand by the fact that Bradley's offense was bad. It doesn't matter what you say or throw out, that offense was terrible! Six points per game.

That us why I asked you if you were a coach or had attended any practices. Do you know how many turnovers they averaged this year? How many drive killing penalties they had? A lot if things go into a bad season. People on the outside who don't know are better off just remaining silent. Also, you did not answer my question regarding Coach Crabtree. I used him because I know of their injury situation.

That us why I asked you if you were a coach or had attended any practices. Do you know how many turnovers they averaged this year? How many drive killing penalties they had? A lot if things go into a bad season. People on the outside who don't know are better off just remaining silent. Also, you did not answer my question regarding Coach Crabtree. I used him because I know of their injury situation.

I am not a coach and I have seen a couple if practices.

Crabtree is not a bad coach because of 5 losses. 6 points per game is different. SIX points. Turnovers, while most often being the players fault aren't always. Turnovers are often the result of poorly set up plays, bad play calls, lack of preparation, putting your players in unfavorable situations, etc.

Injuries happen and cause "bad" years. Injuries don't cause 6 points per game. I'm certain other OCs could have scored many more.

All I'm saying is quit putting it all on the kids. It's a team sport and part of that team is the staff. 0-10 while scoring 60 points in a season is more than "we're a little school" with "no talent". Just tired of hearing it. It's a shared responsibility.

I am not a coach and I have seen a couple if practices.

Crabtree is not a bad coach because of 5 losses. 6 points per game is different. SIX points. Turnovers, while most often being the players fault aren't always. Turnovers are often the result of poorly set up plays, bad play calls, lack of preparation, putting your players in unfavorable situations, etc.

Injuries happen and cause "bad" years. Injuries don't cause 6 points per game. I'm certain other OCs could have scored many more.

All I'm saying is quit putting it all on the kids. It's a team sport and part of that team is the staff. 0-10 while scoring 60 points in a season is more than "we're a little school" with "no talent". Just tired of hearing it. It's a shared responsibility.

As a parent of a player it saw many practices. I saw what went on most very day. And yes, if you best players get injured it can lead to a lack of offensive production. It is a team sport, it is also a game. And until you have walked in the shoes of the people involved then you have no basis to critize them on. Finally, it does come down to the kids as they are the ones who have to make the plays. No coach calls a play thinking, hey we can fumble this one, or throw an interception. Don't have a double standard for one group and not another.

As a parent of a player it saw many practices. I saw what went on most very day. And yes, if you best players get injured it can lead to a lack of offensive production. It is a team sport, it is also a game. And until you have walked in the shoes of the people involved then you have no basis to critize them on. Finally, it does come down to the kids as they are the ones who have to make the plays. No coach calls a play thinking, hey we can fumble this one, or throw an interception. Don't have a double standard for one group and not another.

A coach may call routes that are going to put the QB in a no win situation. Running into 9, 10, 11 in the box with "inferior and smaller" athletes could lead to more fumbles. Have you ever though that maybe the FB spin series leads to more fumbles with "no" talent? Perhaps everyone knowing you're running (with no athletes) so the defense can load up the box could be detrimental to offensive production.

I feel this is futile, in that you refuse to let any of the blame sit on shoulders of the staff and particularly the OC. There are a lot of great men that are good practice coaches (know football and/or prepare well), that are terrible with game management and play calling.

I will concede that Portland was hurt by injuries and had lessor talent than most of their opponents, but 0-10 with the lack of production has to be shared. Sorry you disagree, but I will not change my mind.

We've gotten a little off the subject.

I think any offensive scheme can win at any HS level. Picking the set that fits your personnel best is the key. You have to be able to mix pass and run, but that can be done out of the Wing T. The Wing T is really a philosophy focusing on blocking angles and gaining an advantage through that. It doesn't mean you have to be a run only offense.

A coach may call routes that are going to put the QB in a no win situation. Running into 9, 10, 11 in the box with "inferior and smaller" athletes could lead to more fumbles. Have you ever though that maybe the FB spin series leads to more fumbles with "no" talent? Perhaps everyone knowing you're running (with no athletes) so the defense can load up the box could be detrimental to offensive production.

I feel this is futile, in that you refuse to let any of the blame sit on shoulders of the staff and particularly the OC. There are a lot of great men that are good practice coaches (know football and/or prepare well), that are terrible with game management and play calling.

I will concede that Portland was hurt by injuries and had lessor talent than most of their opponents, but 0-10 with the lack of production has to be shared. Sorry you disagree, but I will not change my mind.

Then we will have to part on friendly terms, agreeing to disagree on this issue. As I said, I saw on a daily basis the work put in by the coaches and players at Portland. It was tough, demanding, and structured. Just a whole lot went wrong and it is hard when I look back the season for me to blame the coaches or the players.

Good luck to my Portland Panthers as you rebuild. That is my final word on it, so let it be written, so let it be done.

Edited by BURebels

Take Maryville's talent and put in the wing T...they still win the state

There is no way of knowing but I will say this. Maryville ran the wingt before George Quarles showed up as an assistant in 1995. Maryville still ran the wingt in 1995 while ammasing a 10-0 regular season. Maryville sqeaked out a couple of games that year. In 1996 Tim Hammontree let George change the offense. 1996 was a 5-5 season. Some of those kids weren't used to the new offense. In 1997 Maryville improved to a 13-2 record and a state runner up. The rest has been history.

My nephew played quarterback for George and he told me this a long time ago. George Quarles offense puts you in position to make plays. It is also a offense that is fun to play in. You get to throw the football and run the ball also. All those athletic kids who only ran track and played basketball started playing football because they thought playing in George Quarles system would be fun.

There is no way of knowing but I will say this. Maryville ran the wingt before George Quarles showed up as an assistant in 1995. Maryville still ran the wingt in 1995 while ammasing a 10-0 regular season. Maryville sqeaked out a couple of games that year. In 1996 Tim Hammontree let George change the offense. 1996 was a 5-5 season. Some of those kids weren't used to the new offense. In 1997 Maryville improved to a 13-2 record and a state runner up. The rest has been history.

My nephew played quarterback for George and he told me this a long time ago. George Quarles offense puts you in position to make plays. It is also a offense that is fun to play in. You get to throw the football and run the ball also. All those athletic kids who only ran track and played basketball started playing football because they thought playing in George Quarles system would be fun.

Very Well Said.  Let Athletes in the School help you.  Don't be fighting with Basketball Coach, Baseball Coach, Track Coach.  Let Athletes be Atletes and help the School win games.  An Athelete does not have to be in the Weight Room everyday to perform on the Football Field either.  Lineman is a different story.  Need to be in the Weight Room.

Very Well Said.  Let Athletes in the School help you.  Don't be fighting with Basketball Coach, Baseball Coach, Track Coach.  Let Athletes be Atletes and help the School win games.  An Athelete does not have to be in the Weight Room everyday to perform on the Football Field either.  Lineman is a different story.  Need to be in the Weight Room.

I have to disagree, I want my football players playing football and that's it. we should get rid of the rest of the sports for men other than football. That's my opinion. Everybody has their own.