Wing T Offense is Not a 6a State Title Offense.

64NB95

I hope your being sarcastic? You would not be a good high school coach if you believe that.

I'm not being sarcastic and I never said I'd be a good high school football coach but seems Portland should learn from the best coach they've ever had that you should focus on football to be championship caliber at portland. I really believe that as well.

The Wing-T can win in 6A. Virtually any offense can win with the right players and coaching. Take a team with superior talent and execution and they can win with anything. Is it the best offense? I don't prefer it because it has a limited number of home-run options and high-school football offensively is about hitting the big play. If you closely watch a game, very few teams consistently and successfully complete 10-15 play scoring drives. That is where the wing-t falls behind to me. It is easy to get off schedule and then you become limited and predictable, thus the same problem Hendersonville had. The wing-t hybrid zone read teams are what are scary. Especially in Tennessee where a ton of teams run a two high safety look, they put a ton of pressure on the safeties to come down hill and support the pull while having to be careful of the p/a pass.

my.02

There is nothing wrong with the wing-t. Just like any other offense, if you have the right players, you will be successful. Hatfield has taken Hendersonville to the state championship game 4 different times running it.

I do agree that they should try to pass a little more out of it, simply because their QB is a heck of a player, but the offense itself is not inherently bad. Heck, their style of play alone has won them a ton of games, and is a big reason why they've made it to state so many times to begin with.

Running the wing-t can work for anyone with a quick line, qb that knows how to read and pitch, and backs that aren't scared to hit the hole; however, many defenses are learning how to defend it. If a defense is playing gap responsibility, it can be shut down in a hurry. I suggest running a zone read offense to spread things out because it allows more holes to open up and helps the qb get better reads over the whole defense as opposed to being under center. When under center, the qb cannot fully see the defense, but if he is in gun or pistol, he can see the entire defense, which makes the zone read a better option style offense than running the triple option from the wing-t.