Early predictions for 8-AA 2014

Before the pre-season I would have said DC would have a legitimate shot at the district with Livingston being the favorite. After watching some practice and the jamboree I think we will be competitive and in the top half of the district but I would say winning the district may be a poor bet to make.

Our lack of team speed is obvious. We do not have any real deep threat and while our running game looks to be solid it does not look explosive enough to force the safeties to cheat up. From what I have seen holes in the opponent's secondary are lacking (unlike what was created from speed with Sonny a couple years ago and Devonte last year drawing attention at the line). Jennings will be a really good QB (and our receivers have pretty good hands) but the ball is being forced into tighter spots and those risks often don't pay off.

I think Coach Trapp will find a way to spread the opposing defense out a bit more during the regular season but we will have to grind out yardage this year much more than in the past few. As much as we have pushed the pace on offense under Coach Trapp, this year may be one that the defense (albeit thin) must lead and pace likely should slow. I am not sure how the DC faithful will like that as we have gotten accustom to big numbers on the scoreboard but W's are never easy to come by and we have to adjust to what we have.

Is that you UCM? There may not be explosive speed in our WR's and RB's, but that's only a small portion of the team. Going off of a interview, Coach Trapp said something along the lines of this. " I like our team speed as a whole. We look good in our pads".

We (Dekalb) will learn a lot this week with Warren County coming to town. After WC beat Giles handily (even Giles thread admits it and they the kings of trash talk), this will be a true test. WC seemed to handle the Giles 4 star receiver pretty well and have some big boys up front that will test our line.

Vanilla - YES; crisp - NO; explosive - not even close. I hope we are ready for a war come Friday and can get the season started with a "W". 

Is that you UCM? There may not be explosive speed in our WR's and RB's, but that's only a small portion of the team. Going off of a interview, Coach Trapp said something along the lines of this. " I like our team speed as a whole. We look good in our pads".

not me but sure knows what he is talking about. LA will be the opposite. QB is speedy and shifty with a fair arm. Hollars and Linder have speed. Blodge and Eldridge have size to stretch the field. What LA won't be able to do is just line up and run the ball down your throat. Not seen that ability out of the OL yet. Defense at LA is ok, but might have to out score some teams to win.

We (Dekalb) will learn a lot this week with Warren County coming to town. After WC beat Giles handily (even Giles thread admits it and they the kings of trash talk), this will be a true test. WC seemed to handle the Giles 4 star receiver pretty well and have some big boys up front that will test our line.

Vanilla - YES; crisp - NO; explosive - not even close. I hope we are ready for a war come Friday and can get the season started with a "W".

great post. I have always said Warren had plenty of talent walking the halls. Hard for a school with 850 to compete with a school of 2000 once you equal out the coaching and community passion. It might be not be this year, but could be in the future if they can keep things going there. No one has been able to in the past is what scares me. Edited by UpperCumberlandMan

agree, but compared to the beatdown LA took last jamboree, wasn't a lot of good that came out of it for them. I don't see but one team on LA's regular season schedule that has anything close to what CHS has and they handled themselves pretty well. LA OL and DL looked a little weak but with 2 being out, might be more soild than we seen. Depth will be an issue for them if certin players get banged up. I remember watching Beech a few years ago in jamboree at TC, everyone knew leaving that contest Beech was the team to beat in 5a. I didn't get that feel from either sqaud Saturday. Same as with UHS-White or White-Macon...didn't feel than any of those three will make any noise this season. Haven't seen SC,DC,YI yet but will each by week 4. I stll stick with LA as the favorite, but DC aint far behlnd.

Like I said before UCM you couldn't tell anything from the White co./ Macon scrimmage. First string hardly played. Just watch a real game, you might be surprised...... 

We'll see what WC has soon enough. I'm betting it's not as good as people are making it out to be. Improved? Most likely, but not quite there yet. FYI Ordway is being recruited as a a CB, those 3/4 stars you see by his name isn't for WR.

We'll see what WC has soon enough. I'm betting it's not as good as people are making it out to be. Improved? Most likely, but not quite there yet. FYI Ordway is being recruited as a a CB, those 3/4 stars you see by his name isn't for WR.

Look out for Warren...would not be surprised if they beat Dekalb.

UCM may be right on LA being the front runner from all that I gather (Coaches picked them). However, I think Smith County has a better QB, RB and just as good WR's (Both can dunk a basketball easily) as LA. I think it will come down to the line play. I believe LA QB only had a 1000 yards last year with the best WR in the district last year and a better O line. Our QB had two very small receivers (5'6") and about 2 seconds to throw the ball and still had 1000 yards. If our line can stay healthy and give our QB/WR time, it should be fun to watch. As far a RB.....If there is a better back in our district than Milan...I will be surprised. Either way in a few weeks we shall find out.

UCM may be right on LA being the front runner from all that I gather (Coaches picked them). However, I think Smith County has a better QB, RB and just as good WR's (Both can dunk a basketball easily) as LA. I think it will come down to the line play. I believe LA QB only had a 1000 yards last year with the best WR in the district last year and a better O line. Our QB had two very small receivers (5'6") and about 2 seconds to throw the ball and still had 1000 yards. If our line can stay healthy and give our QB/WR time, it should be fun to watch. As far a RB.....If there is a better back in our district than Milan...I will be surprised. Either way in a few weeks we shall find out.

Quals is an ok qb, but a pretty good db at only 5'9-5'10. Very quick feet. I think Linder is as good on the outside as Milan, but better inside runner. I will give you SC line probably is better than the LA that I seen in CHS jamboree, but it was two players short. Might still be better though. In no way shape or form can SC match Blodge, Eldridge and Hollars who have all made all-district at wr. Hollars made all district as a freshman. Hollars and Eldridge can take those two you mentionn in bball two. And SC can't match the three returning all-district line backers LA has. We shall all see soon enough. Edited by UpperCumberlandMan

UCM may be right on LA being the front runner from all that I gather (Coaches picked them). However, I think Smith County has a better QB, RB and just as good WR's (Both can dunk a basketball easily) as LA. I think it will come down to the line play. I believe LA QB only had a 1000 yards last year with the best WR in the district last year and a better O line. Our QB had two very small receivers (5'6") and about 2 seconds to throw the ball and still had 1000 yards. If our line can stay healthy and give our QB/WR time, it should be fun to watch. As far a RB.....If there is a better back in our district than Milan...I will be surprised. Either way in a few weeks we shall find out.

You evidently don't know who LA's WR's are if you are bragging about your WR's basketball skills! I'll take our guys at WR and QB. Our RB has potential to be very good too. LA always brings out the best in SC so it should be a great game! You guys beat us when we had the best 3A team in the state in 2005 so you never know what will happen.