Darel Middleton-Maryville Rumors?

JSamson7

Your right Jake, about  Not everyone's goal in life is to get their kid to MHS, believe it or not.  There have been some in the past with special athletic skills and the parents with the financial means to just pick up and move over here because they felt their kid would have a better chance of catching the eye of a good college playing for Maryville and in most of those situations they panned out right.  For the average kid to move over would be a much harder task which gets back to your comment which is right.

As usual Barney, you are right.....my bad.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How old were you 91 in 1997 ? 6? is that where 91 comes from ? Anyway , Maryville has been to the State Championship Game every year since 1997 except for 99 & 03 .... That's a pretty long time for just " at this time "

well yes but trends can last for a long time, but they won't last forever. At some point Quarles and/or Rankin will retire or move elsewhere. I personally think Quarles will eventually move to the next level even though he says otherwise. It may seem like it but this will not go on forever. Who knows? Try to imagine a decade into the future... Suppose Quarles has moved on and maryville has returned to earth.Maybe WB or Heritage make a homerun coaching hire and are now the big dogs in the county. Or maybe Quarles is still at maryville but community support has waned and the talent pool has dried up and they are still above average but not great. You can laugh about it now but it will happen eventually.

well yes but trends can last for a long time, but they won't last forever. At some point Quarles and/or Rankin will retire or move elsewhere. I personally think Quarles will eventually move to the next level even though he says otherwise. It may seem like it but this will not go on forever. Who knows? Try to imagine a decade into the future... Suppose Quarles has moved on and maryville has returned to earth.Maybe WB or Heritage make a homerun coaching hire and are now the big dogs in the county. Or maybe Quarles is still at maryville but community support has waned and the talent pool has dried up and they are still above average but not great. You can laugh about it now but it will happen eventually.

Governors91 your a young man and you need to hear this from someone that is very much older and wiser than you. First of all I would love to commend you for pulling for your school which is great and I really like someone like that. The only problem you don't realize about Alcoa and Maryville is that they have been in a pissing contest for decades and not years. Those two schools have just enough people in the right places that pull the trigger to make things happen for those two schools football teams. Do you really think in your right mind for two schools that played a game on ESPN and have won championships one after another will one day just dry up. Maryville winning tradition goes back into the early forties and four different coaches have won championships there. Alcoa also has a good tradition since the early fifties and has won championships under six different coaches.

The big differences between the city and county schools are night and day on how their run. I'm much older than you and I was at the very first game between MHS and WB which Maryville won 17-0 on WB's home field back in 1979 and I've seen many more years earlier the schools that went into the consolidation that made WB and Heritage, Many of those schools that went into those two schools were because the county just turned a blind eye and let most of those buildings turn into rubble over being to cheap to keep them up which forced the county into having to build two large schools. Now forward the clock thirty something years and the same thing keeps going on with the county and nothing will ever change. The county could care less about how the football program or any program runs as long as it don't cost them any money. When a coach is hired at either school he can't bring in his own staff, he has to utilize the coaches left over from the past head coach and that is just one of the reasons the county will never get to the point you are hoping for so bad.  I do love your spirit and I hope you do see the day WB wins it all but I don't think it will be in my lifetime.

Governors91 your a young man and you need to hear this from someone that is very much older and wiser than you. First of all I would love to commend you for pulling for your school which is great and I really like someone like that. The only problem you don't realize about Alcoa and Maryville is that they have been in a pissing contest for decades and not years. Those two schools have just enough people in the right places that pull the trigger to make things happen for those two schools football teams. Do you really think in your right mind for two schools that played a game on ESPN and have won championships one after another will one day just dry up. Maryville winning tradition goes back into the early forties and four different coaches have won championships there. Alcoa also has a good tradition since the early fifties and has won championships under six different coaches.

The big differences between the city and county schools are night and day on how their run. I'm much older than you and I was at the very first game between MHS and WB which Maryville won 17-0 on WB's home field back in 1979 and I've seen many more years earlier the schools that went into the consolidation that made WB and Heritage, Many of those schools that went into those two schools were because the county just turned a blind eye and let most of those buildings turn into rubble over being to cheap to keep them up which forced the county into having to build two large schools. Now forward the clock thirty something years and the same thing keeps going on with the county and nothing will ever change. The county could care less about how the football program or any program runs as long as it don't cost them any money. When a coach is hired at either school he can't bring in his own staff, he has to utilize the coaches left over from the past head coach and that is just one of the reasons the county will never get to the point you are hoping for so bad. I do love your spirit and I hope you do see the day WB wins it all but I don't think it will be in my lifetime.

well I have to disagree because the meadows era proves otherwise. He had a good staff in place, good community support,and everything else. In 07 he had a team that was very capable of winning it all but they didn't . I think WB could get back to that level again if the people in charge pull their heads out of their rears . From what I have heard the AD at WB doesn't care about football and the rumors appear to be true. Last I heard they don't even have pep rallies for games anymore. When I went to wb school spirit was a big deal. Edited by Governors91

well I have to disagree because the meadows era proves otherwise. He had a good staff in place, good community support,and everything else. In 07 he had a team that was very capable of winning it all but they didn't . I think WB could get back to that level again if the people in charge pull their heads out of their rears . From what I have heard the AD at WB doesn't care about football and the rumors appear to be true. Last I heard they don't even have pep rallies for games anymore. When I went to wb school spirit was a big deal.

I'm not saying that WB won't ever win period because they will just like they did with Scott Meadows but those times will be few and far in between. They went 2-9 this year and had they not got the kid out of Sevier County  they would have went 1-10. Now what looks bad is that there was a very heavy graduation rate on this team and I don't see any better next year either because of it.

I'm not saying that WB won't ever win period because they will just like they did with Scott Meadows but those times will be few and far in between. They went 2-9 this year and had they not got the kid out of Sevier County they would have went 1-10. Now what looks bad is that there was a very heavy graduation rate on this team and I don't see any better next year either because of it.

well that remains to be seen but i wouldn't doubt it. However I will say that there is a lot of young talent in the pipes now. We will just have to see what the coaches are able to do with it .

The big differences between the city and county schools are night and day on how their run. I'm much older than you and I was at the very first game between MHS and WB which Maryville won 17-0 on WB's home field back in 1979 and I've seen many more years earlier the schools that went into the consolidation that made WB and Heritage, Many of those schools that went into those two schools were because the county just turned a blind eye and let most of those buildings turn into rubble over being to cheap to keep them up which forced the county into having to build two large schools. Now forward the clock thirty something years and the same thing keeps going on with the county and nothing will ever change. The county could care less about how the football program or any program runs as long as it don't cost them any money. When a coach is hired at either school he can't bring in his own staff, he has to utilize the coaches left over from the past head coach and that is just one of the reasons the county will never get to the point you are hoping for so bad.  I do love your spirit and I hope you do see the day WB wins it all but I don't think it will be in my lifetime.

Barney, I have not been around here nearly as long as you, but in the time I have been around, I see a lot of truth in your post.......Central office needs to figure out that a football program is important and make the strides necessary to help their coaches.

I'm not saying that WB won't ever win period because they will just like they did with Scott Meadows but those times will be few and far in between. They went 2-9 this year and had they not got the kid out of Sevier County  they would have went 1-10. Now what looks bad is that there was a very heavy graduation rate on this team and I don't see any better next year either because of it.

I will go on a limb and say that they will actually be better next year....they have some good pieces to work with, if they get them put in the right places.  JV only lost two games, I think, to Maryville and Farragut last year.  I have already made a couple of posts on the WB thread and I won't type it all again, but I think they have a chance to be much improved next year. JMO

I will go on a limb and say that they will actually be better next year....they have some good pieces to work with, if they get them put in the right places. JV only lost two games, I think, to Maryville and Farragut last year. I have already made a couple of posts on the WB thread and I won't type it all again, but I think they have a chance to be much improved next year. JMO

any word on the new uniforms yet ? Lol