CPA beats JPII by 50?

BigENS

UC was not at state last year...They got upset in Region semis..They had a verrry bad night and let a avarge team upset them..I think they are wayy better than Humboldt as they were last year..They are very well rounded with excellent coaching..Marty Sisco is a legend in is own with 3 aa state titles being the underdog in 2 of them..maybe CPA and UC can hook up next year because UC will have everyone back but one.

I wasn't there, so only know what others have posted. I know few agree, but here are my thoughts:

1. It is the opponent's job to stop the other team, not the winning team's job to hold down the score. Just because you win big does not mean you are bad sports.

2. This year on CoachT CPA was soundly criticized for taking a knee with 3 minutes to go in the Fairview football game. Posters complained that it was a slap in the face to Fairview seniors who should have been allowed to play the game out. CPA players took a lot of licks trying to take a knee. They voluntarily gave Fairview another possession, put in the 2nd string, and Fairview went down and scored a meaningless TD. So, it appears you cannot win in this argument.

3. I find that fans worry a lot more about a team getting blown out than the players do. Most players, and I was one, want both teams to play at their best the whole game. No player wants their opponent to lay down.

4. Even though this was a blowout, remember Cascade is not a terrible team. They are a good team with a good record that ran into a buzzsaw that night.

5. I don't think any Cascade coach, player, or fan has complained about how CPA played the game. Maybe they did and I didn't hear it.

6. All teams win some games big and lose some games big if they play long enough.

That is my view since you called me out for a response. It won't change your view, but maybe the next time your favorite team wins big and you are criticized for being a bad sport, you will see this differently. Have a blessed day.

I wasn't there, so only know what others have posted. I know few agree, but here are my thoughts:

1. It is the opponent's job to stop the other team, not the winning team's job to hold down the score. Just because you win big does not mean you are bad sports.

2. This year on CoachT CPA was soundly criticized for taking a knee with 3 minutes to go in the Fairview football game. Posters complained that it was a slap in the face to Fairview seniors who should have been allowed to play the game out. CPA players took a lot of licks trying to take a knee. They voluntarily gave Fairview another possession, put in the 2nd string, and Fairview went down and scored a meaningless TD. So, it appears you cannot win in this argument.

3. I find that fans worry a lot more about a team getting blown out than the players do. Most players, and I was one, want both teams to play at their best the whole game. No player wants their opponent to lay down.

4. Even though this was a blowout, remember Cascade is not a terrible team. They are a good team with a good record that ran into a buzzsaw that night.

5. I don't think any Cascade coach, player, or fan has complained about how CPA played the game. Maybe they did and I didn't hear it.

6. All teams win some games big and lose some games big if they play long enough.

That is my view since you called me out for a response. It won't change your view, but maybe the next time your favorite team wins big and you are criticized for being a bad sport, you will see this differently. Have a blessed day.

Sportnerd:  I give you kudos because at least you responded to the question and while I don't agree with most of your assertions- I appreciate the fact that you responded!  We will just have to agree to disagree- I have heard the argument a lot "it is the opponent's job to stop the other team, not the winning team's job to hold down the score" - however- some coaches choose to go the compassionate route and they don't run up the score, or keep their starters in with a 46 point lead and let the starters that they have left in the game continue shooting 3's- to me that is the difference.  I prefer a coach that uses the compassionate route instead of the one who asserts- it is the opponents job to stop us.. Just a basic difference in philosophy  That game was over at halftime and there was no reason to add to the beat-down- except that it made Jake's stats look really good for the night and it provides another article for the Tennessean to write about CPA basketball.

I hear ya, but did you read my point about the football game? I don't know how long you have read CoachT but if you have you know that CPA will get criticized no matter what they do. And I believe this situation also depends on if you are playing a team that gets beat down all the time, or a good team.

I remember one year in FB we played a small Christian school who asked us to put them on their schedule. It was a total mismatch. After the first quarter CPA had the 2nd team in, fair caught every punt and kickoff, never threw the ball, etc.. and still won by 50. They got blasted on CoachT.

The other thing is that we are taking one game and one player shooting 3's with a big lead (against a sagging zone) and painting a school as being unsportsmanlike with a broad brush. That is wrong. Again, let's try to not be so judgmental (everyone can be criticized for something), especially when there are many sides to every story and it's not like trash talking and throwing punches. He was just shooting the ball and having a memorable night.

How about it CPA fans? Why? How about it Dad, others? Give me one good reason other than trying to pad stats, you would allow him to be in the game much less shoot more 3s. It's like being ahead 40 points in football and still throwing TDs with your 1st team QB in the game. This explanation should be entertaining.

I am not a CPA supporterbut does the team need any other reason than to help is kid pad his stats? The player wanted to pad his stats. So what. If it bothered the other team as much as it bothers some of the non CPA fans, the coach should have played a box and 1 on this kid. Since he didn't, why should you care? Are you a fan of JPII or just a hater of CPA?

I guess if it was one of the first two subs, it would not beaproblem shooting3's up by 40?

Do you think its the christian thing to do when you run up the score on the other young men playing the game? Are you showing your true christian beliefs by leaving your starters in and up 46 points in the second half? I think not

Are you showing your true Christian beliefs when you cast judgment and question the beliefs of others you don't even know in a game you didn't even see? I think not.

As I have posted before "let no corrupt communications proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers".

We all have beams in our eyes that we need to remove before we worry about the splinter in others eyes.

To just troll these boards waiting for any opportunity to slam CPA is certainly not a very good way to love your neighbor, and is quite frankly getting tiresome to those who want to discuss sports.

BTW, I've followed CPA sports for over 20 years, and I saw many games in the early years where we were on the other end of a blowout. How did we respond? We shook hands and pledged to get better. We didn't accuse the other team of lack of sportsmanship.

Edited by sportsnerd

Are you showing your true Christian beliefs when you cast judgment and question the beliefs of others you don't even know in a game you didn't even see? I think not.

As I have posted before "let no corrupt communications proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers".

We all have beams in our eyes that we need to remove before we worry about the splinter in others eyes.

To just troll these boards waiting for any opportunity to slam CPA is certainly not a very good way to love your neighbor, and is quite frankly getting tiresome to those who want to discuss sports.

BTW, I've followed CPA sports for over 20 years, and I saw many games in the early years where we were on the other end of a blowout. How did we respond? We shook hands and pledged to get better. We didn't accuse the other team of lack of sportsmanship.

Instead of answering a question with a question why not just answer it honestly. i am not bashing CPA i just asked if you or anyone else thought it was the christian thing to do. You have venom in your posts and thats too bad, since you do represent a christian community. I will pray for you my brother.

Do you think its the christian thing to do when you run up the score on the other young men playing the game? Are you showing your true christian beliefs by leaving your starters in and up 46 points in the second half? I think not

LOL.  I knew your "Newfound Christian Born Again Life" wouldn't last long.