GP WEST

MatWiz

As a Centennial parent, I AM disappointed. I understand there were several kids sick and a few injuried. I personally don't think the right choice was made, but whatcha gonna do ... Hope the coach learns and makes better choices as he continues his high school coaching career? This is the difference between a middle school coach and a seasoned high school coach. Why would you not take the kids you have and let them wrestle? Over the break we wrestled against a team in a duals tournament that showed up with just five kids. It's not like you can replace this tournament with another one. I have to say what is most disturbing is that I have a senior who was beyond disappointed that he had no control over this decision and a coach who just doesn't get it.

As a Centennial Parent, shouldn't you air your disappointment to your coach in a private setting than air it out in a public forum. Sounds like a middle school parenting move to me...

• Upvote 1

thanks for starting some 45 years ago, where at Hillwood, Hillsboro or where?

Maplewood '69-'70 (1 yr.); Hillwood '70-'71 thru '79-'80 (10 yrs.); Whites Creek '80-'81 thru '86-'87 (7 yrs.); Brentwood '87-88 thru '13-'14 (27 yrs).

Brief historical trivia of Tennessee's 3 longest running invitationals: 

School year 1868-69; Coach John Farr held an invitational at Red Bank; School year _?_, Coach Farr transferred to Chattanooga Central and continued the tournament there.  It has has been set up annually* through each succeeding coach from its beginning.

*There have been a couple of cancellations beyond the control of school and tournament personel because of weather-related schoolboard regulations.

School year '69-70:  The NIL tournament, which the mid-state coaches had held for three years, was cancelled after the January 1969 event.  This opened up the possibility for invitational tournaments in the mid-state

Maplewood held an invitational in December 1969.  See above in this entry.

Father Ryan held an vitational during January 1970.  The tournament was first held at the school on Elliston Place and continued uninterrupted when the school moved to the current location.

Although, weather-related school closings have occurred at the time of both mid-state tournaments, both have enjoyed the good fortune of being able to continue with all tournaments.

Wow.....Im sure there is something to that..... you don't want to finish low, so you screw the few that were healthy enough to wrestle....shaking my head !

I think the coaches didn't want to finish low in the standings. I saw a Lipscomb team there with 5 wrestlers, and I think Page had maybe 7. Seemed selfish to me

You got me great job. We took 8 to beech, 6 to Indy and 9 to soddy but I'm really worried about team scores. The only thing I am worried about is trying to take this team to the state tournament. I am sure you have coached many to that so you have all the answers. We have 0 back ups in most weight classes so if any of the ones we went go hurt then the whole team goal is gone. And of the 5 or so I would have sent one hasn't practiced all week because he is hurt. If trying to take the team to a state tournament is selfish then I guess I am. I would think that getting the team healthy is more important than 1 or 2 guys placing at a individual tournament but I guess I'm not a seasoned high school coach like all of you with your opinions. I appreciate all of your opinions though let me know when you guys are going to have a coaches clinic so I can attend.

Great tournament, Blair. Well run and very efficient. As for the "hoopla" about Centennial and their coaching decision to look out for their wrestlers when the flu is running through their room, I'm sure it was tough not to go. Centennial has gone to several tough tournaments this year and without a full line up from what I've seen. Selfish, I think not. Looking out for the health of their team and others on other teams to not drag a bug to a tournament, call it what you want. Centennial also wasn't the only team absent. Where was Union, KY?

Biggest tournament in middle Tennessee. You go with what you got. It is an individual tournament, not a team tournament. I guarantee Becker would not have missed

Coach Becker is no longer with the team and he is off living his life so can you say what he would have or would not have done? Also you are absolutely incorrect.. Coach Becker believes in team and not just individual!! Taking 4 kids to a tournament and out of that 4 1 having an injury and another being back to practice for 3 days since early October makes sense to you? If it does then i feel bad for your wrestlers and team and you as a man that having your TEAM so up so that 1 kid may or may not place. I am disappointed that you and several other people are talking about a poor showing when we took our TEAM to Tullahoma with 9 kids and had a bad showing losing to teams that we should never lose to. We are 2-0 in our district for the first time EVER and beat Indy for the first time EVER and your telling me that Becker would have wrestled in a tournament that is not harder than the one we wrestled in last week, to please one or two parents/wrestlers and not allowed that 2 who are 100% not get prepared for a very tough week of Ravenwood and Franklin and possible make it to State Duals which by the way was ALWAYS the ultimate goal. So while you are here throwing Coach Becker's name around as is you guys were associates; you obviously didn't know him all that well.

Imo, Centennial is good, but you will not beat Ravenwood, Franklin, nor Brentwood. The win against Independence proves that Indy is down. Have fun dreaming.

I guess you didn't know Centennial beat Brentwood last year and they had no seniors wrestlers and that over the past weekend at centennial went 5-0 vs Brentwood including a win vs Chip Brothers. Not my opinion, but the facts!

As a Centennial Parent, shouldn't you air your disappointment to your coach in a private setting than air it out in a public forum. Sounds like a middle school parenting move to me...

I completely agree BenAround. I am disappointed that this matter was not directed towards coaches that are involved, but displayed on a forum. I guess I am disappointed in every aspect, because when a wrestlers gets hurt and they sit out a tournament or don't go to a tournament on their own will it's all good and no questions should be asked, but when the TEAM does not go to get rejuvenated and ready to complete a feat that has not been done in forever and that's make state duals, better yet region duals its a bad decision and the coach doesn't know what he is doing.

I guess that I am just disappointed all around because when parents wear their emotions on their sleeves then their child tends to do the same and while we believe we are helping our child or standing up for him/her we really are hindering them because now they know no matter what daddy/mommy will take my side and say something be it true or false. 

Maybe it just me and knowing how exciting it is to be apart of a good team and compete as a TEAM until february and then start wrestling as individuals, which by the way we never had to do because we focused so much on TEAM that we would take 10+ kids to state and when we got there we still wrestled for  team goals. Maybe team doesn't mean anything anymore and I understand how the kids now are so arrogant and full of themselves. But like my name says I'm just a coach so what do i know.

Wow.....Im sure there is something to that..... you don't want to finish low, so you screw the few that were healthy enough to wrestle....shaking my head !

I completely agree BenAround. I am disappointed that this matter was not directed towards coaches that are involved, but displayed on a forum. I guess I am disappointed in every aspect, because when a wrestlers gets hurt and they sit out a tournament or don't go to a tournament on their own will it's all good and no questions should be asked, but when the TEAM does not go to get rejuvenated and ready to complete a feat that has not been done in forever and that's make state duals, better yet region duals its a bad decision and the coach doesn't know what he is doing.

I guess that I am just disappointed all around because when parents wear their emotions on their sleeves then their child tends to do the same and while we believe we are helping our child or standing up for him/her we really are hindering them because now they know no matter what daddy/mommy will take my side and say something be it true or false. 

Maybe it just me and knowing how exciting it is to be apart of a good team and compete as a TEAM until february and then start wrestling as individuals, which by the way we never had to do because we focused so much on TEAM that we would take 10+ kids to state and when we got there we still wrestled for  team goals. Maybe team doesn't mean anything anymore and I understand how the kids now are so arrogant and full of themselves. But like my name says I'm just a coach so what do i know.