Baylor-McCallie and what else?

oldster

I did not see the match so I have no idea if it was a good call or not.  However I have been told that at  the NCAA Championships the officials have been instructed to to SWALLOW their whistles the last 20-30 seconds of the match and allow the wrestlers to decide the match. 

Summers didn't I tell you to delete your account? Congrats on your 13,000 worthless posts and your boring copy and paste noise thread as you call it which is probably the biggest accomplishment of your life. In what way did Parker do what he had to do as you put it? It was tied and with only seconds remaining the ref did what he had to do and give Baylor a free point for the match win and the dual win for the second year in a row. Tate hung on by the grace of the officials despite Connell doing what he had to do to win. Just keep to viewing your pride and joy thread you keep bragging about and stay out of the grown up conversations. You can have that one just stay off the other threads. Yes its exactly what happened last year at state.

your observation is correct. 

They were on the edge when Parker took the shot, he down blocked/sprawled which forces a backward motion and TaterTots give Baylor the point for the win. Its that simple. All year I've seen backing up on the whistle and all throughout the match repeatedly with no calls with the cream of TN officials crop. Like I said before CONSISTENCY!

It seems like we have some revisionism here- the shot was taken in the center of the mat. A down block and sprawl doesn't cause the shooter to get behind you as you move the action out of bounds with the shooter dragging his feet working for a takedown. It was the right call.

Edited by mtnrasslin

Youthcoach16, you are right. You cannot compare the McCallie match with the Ryan match because Baylor won against McCallie. I believe had McCallie won, we would have heard from the gallery. You state fleeing is fleeing, so is stalling. When a wrestler continues to back up and the first thing off the mat is his back side constantly, it is stalling. This works both ways, not only when you lose.

I'm not sure if there is a hidden meaning there but if you are referring to the Father Ryan match again then you have no credibility. In the one match in particular you are referencing there were two takedowns( both by Baylor) , there was one set of back points ( by Baylor), there was one reversal by Father Ryan ( initiated by Baylor again being the aggressor and trying for more back points) . There is a difference in stalling and your opponent trying to make it look like you are stalling by pushing out of bounds and not allowing you to re enter the mat. You don't call three stalls in the last period and 2 in the last 10 seconds when the winner sprawls and is on top and just got a takedown a minute before that. . I would think a ref really paying attention would have called stalling the other way. That is all a moot point and has nothing to do with the match last night. The Baylor fans probably would have been complaining if it had gone the other way because two calls would have been missed. The fleeing was fleeing without a doubt and had to be called , the takedown was close and I think the absolute perfect call but like I said it wouldn't have shocked me to have seen a takedown awarded too early due to the excitement and energy in the room. I think the refs did an incredible job remaining unbiased and not getting caught up in the moment. Another example you are failing to mention is the celebrating penalty on Parker. It was the same call made against you in the state duals. I didn't agree with the call against you guys last year and I didn't agree last night but fortunately it didn't cost us the match. If it had I'm sure our fans would be extremely upset. The officials called a perfect match in my opinion in an incredibly tough environment. We will have a rematch next week I'm sure and hopefully it will be as exciting as last nights . Good luck to both teams the rest of the year.

What fun reading all the scrapping this morning! Sure beats cleaning up the garage! Great atmosphere for wrestling last night. And while most of the posts and posters seem to be both knowledgeable and passionate, we could do without some of the personal attacks.

The kids work very hard. Coaches work hard. And yes, champstrain, the officials work hard. All of us watch matches with our tinted glasses on. And officials know that most every close call they make is wrong with half the gym. That's just how it is. And yes, sometimes they get it wrong. But much more often they get it right. We all get unlimited looks on every call using whatever digital media we choose, rewinding and forwarding countless replays. Great for fans, but......

The official gets one look in real time. Cut him some slack. The two calls generating all the rage in the 138 and 182 matches can be debated in favor of either side. The fact that the calls were made, not passed on, is evidence that the official was involved, engaged and focused.

And Sommers, disregard the personal rants of those few folks hiding behind the anonymity of their board names to disparage all you do to promote educational athletics. I for one appreciate you.

• Upvote 1

It seems like we have some revisionism here- the shot was taken in the center of the mat. A down block and sprawl doesn't cause the shooter to get behind you as you move the action out of bounds with the shooter dragging his feet working for a takedown. It was the right call.

Yes it does. It wasn't in the center it was on the edge. He sprawled and then came back up to his feet but his opponent had a leg so he turned and was kicking out just like any wrestler would do but since they were already on the edge the kick out forced him farther out.

The referees for the match are two of the best in the state and southeast for that matter. The Tate/Adam match could have been called either way. Parker/Hoodenpyle match; if (H) had sprawled or went over the top of Parker catching his ankles, they run out the clock or a stalemate is called. This is a huge event for these kids, and he turned trying to step out of Parker's grasp and walked off the mat pulling Parker, never intending to flee and lose a point, but it happened. If they are in the center of the mat Hoodenpyle likely steps free and the match is in overtime. Unfortunately, he was near the edge and called for fleeing. I think this is what Coach Gable meant when he said matches are won and lost on the edge of the mat.

Best in the state....well that's just sad. Best in the southeast....you obviously haven't been outside Tennessee. Tennessee refs would still be in training at youth beginner tournaments in other states. He didn't walk off the mat, he was kicking out of a single leg. Most refs in Tennessee would have called it out before he ever began kicking. Matches are won and lost in the hands of mediocre referees.

I gave you a positive vote for that ScottOsters, check's in the mail too!

I love the sport and those who sacrifice to make it all the better! Like you said about officiating you can't make everyone happy, and I know as an official in the 80's,,, it takes a lot of time to be the best, or even average. Tater and Donnie are two of the best.

In the mean time, I personally know Gossett, Hunt, Mo, BBB and have spoken with each of them in the last week. Many of them know I've been associated with the Tennessee Press Association since 1987 and actually worked for them for 6 years.

The Noise Makers thread gives their articles more attention (500-600 Viewers per day) than CoachT's home page and it's a convenient tool for many, although some dislike.

Again, thanks for the kind words. I have friends/parents (and foes) on both sides that go back over 40 years. Could have sat on either side comfortably,,, actually saw a big foe sit three rows in front of me that made me smile. Like an old family feud to me sometimes. REALLY, It's about the kids and our Great Sport!

Youthcoach16, the credibility issue is with you.  When a wrestler backs up and it sounds like a UPS truck backing up, it is stalling.  When a wrestler wants to get to the middle of the mat, he can.  Do not blame another wrestler for a wrestler playing the edge.  You keep pointing out moves and scores, and then you state the Baylor wrestler sprawled.  He did not.  He kept backing up while the Ryan wrestler was going forward.  The issue here is in the truth.  You ranted when it did not go Baylor's way and you even deleted a post taking a shot at a wrestler.  Now the calls go in Baylor's favor and you agree.  Well, I reviewed the tape on coacht and one wrestler is moving forward and the other is moving backward.

As for last night, I thought the fleeing call was incorrect.  I believed the wrestler was just trying to get away.  Maybe Baylor should have been called for stalling because the McCallie wrestler was not allowed to go back to the middle.

Hopefully McCallie will see Baylor again next week in the State Duals and live through it again.

Edited by facenthecrowd