Mt. Juliet Christian Academy

WARBOSS

I always chuckle when the experts come out to find fault with a program in which they have absolutely no investment and, just as bad, proceed to tell everyone what said program must do to "fix" itself.  

The fault in MJCA v. Webb (in football as well as in other sports) lies not with MJCA, but with Webb and the TSSAA for its absurd classification system.  MJCA has (according to the TSSAA classification numbers) 123  total students in 9th through 12th.  That is boys and girls. and averages to about 15 boys per high school class, (60 total in the entire high school). That is not many boys to make up a football team.  By contrast, Webb has (again, according to the TSSAA classification enrollment figures) 453 students, about as many as BA and 31 more than Ensworth.  That does not take into account the "5-star" players that seem to populate Webb's roster.

Under the current TSSAA classification system, both BA and Ensworth could also play against schools like MJCA.  Instead, they choose to "play up" against similar schools - both in size and philosophy.  Webb is one such similar school - in fact,  Webb used to "play up" as well - their last year in D2-AA, they did not win a single divisional football game.  Webb addressed this by choosing to move down to "play in their class" (i.e. against schools like MJCA) and have won the gold ball just about every year since.  I think something is far wrong here, and I don't think the problem lies with schools like MJCA who simply want to offer their students the opportunity to play traditional 11-man football while maintaining the integrity of their school.  I don't get the impression that they (unlike Webb) are "in it to win it", so criticizing them for not playing for championships is, in my humble opinion, ridiculous.  

Cheers to the MJCAs of the world - they truly represent the ideal of athletics bolstering the educational environment that the school seeks to offer.  Brickbats to the Webbs of the world.

While all true should Webb be the bad guy because TSSAA is clueless and not about kids but all about money?

I always chuckle when the experts come out to find fault with a program in which they have absolutely no investment and, just as bad, proceed to tell everyone what said program must do to "fix" itself.  

The fault in MJCA v. Webb (in football as well as in other sports) lies not with MJCA, but with Webb and the TSSAA for its absurd classification system.  MJCA has (according to the TSSAA classification numbers) 123  total students in 9th through 12th.  That is boys and girls. and averages to about 15 boys per high school class, (60 total in the entire high school). That is not many boys to make up a football team.  By contrast, Webb has (again, according to the TSSAA classification enrollment figures) 453 students, about as many as BA and 31 more than Ensworth.  That does not take into account the "5-star" players that seem to populate Webb's roster.

Under the current TSSAA classification system, both BA and Ensworth could also play against schools like MJCA.  Instead, they choose to "play up" against similar schools - both in size and philosophy.  Webb is one such similar school - in fact,  Webb used to "play up" as well - their last year in D2-AA, they did not win a single divisional football game.  Webb addressed this by choosing to move down to "play in their class" (i.e. against schools like MJCA) and have won the gold ball just about every year since.  I think something is far wrong here, and I don't think the problem lies with schools like MJCA who simply want to offer their students the opportunity to play traditional 11-man football while maintaining the integrity of their school.  I don't get the impression that they (unlike Webb) are "in it to win it", so criticizing them for not playing for championships is, in my humble opinion, ridiculous.  

Cheers to the MJCAs of the world - they truly represent the ideal of athletics bolstering the educational environment that the school seeks to offer.  Brickbats to the Webbs of the world.

I'm completely with you on Webb, they're more cowardly than MJCA obviously by playing down. 

While all true should Webb be the bad guy because TSSAA is clueless and not about kids but all about money?

Not really trying to demonize Webb, just pointing out the other end of the athletic spectrum to those who seem to think that MJCA should drop everything to pursue the gold.  Webb played five region regular season games last year on their way to the gold ball; the scores were 36-7, 38-15. 38-6, 49-7 and 42-6.  Pretty exciting stuff there - that trophy must seem like quite the accomplishment to the Webb community.   btw,as noted before, Webb's TSSAA enrollment is 453; the enrollment numbers for the schools that they steamrolled during their regional rampage last year were, in order, 217, 237, 324, 230 and 168.  Pretty tough to compete against the Webbs of this world with numbers like that.  

If I had to venture a guess, I bet the MJCA kids learned a whole lot more about life during their season than did the Webb kids.  Two completely different philosophies; no one will ever convince me that the Webb approach is in any way superior to that of MJCA.

Edited by RedRobin1

All of this is true and don't think anyone would argue about Webb. I will say that MJCA approach does need to change. Take Webb out of the equation and they can't compete with DA, BGA, friendship, DCA, or FRA either. No doubt kids learn a lot about life and facing adversity these are great life lessons. But they must change something if they wanna compete in their region. Maybe this coach can help change the culture/mindset over there, only time will tell.

Warning: memcache_connect() [function.memcache-connect]: Can't connect to internal.memcached.coacht.net:11211, Connection refused (111) in /mnt/wwwroot/boards/ips_kernel/classCacheMemcache.php on line 90

2minutedrill

I believe you are a Friendship alumn/ supporter, do you feel this hire will take away a few players who otherwise would wind up at Friendship? This should be a big rival game due to how close both schools are to each other.

At this time, I don't think this will be much of a rivalry.  I hope success for Coach Davis, but on the Wilson County side MJCA is looked at as an afterthought right now.  However, there are folks that consider MJCA, but for one reason or another choose different schools.    I don't think it will take any players away from FCS.  FCS has much more tradition and have won state titles in all 3 sports in the last decade.  MJCA is lucky to win a conference game.  

However, back in the 90s, FCS was pretty much middle of the road in football.  Their district was Ezell, DCA, CPA (all of which who had won state titles) and they were just beginning to gain some recognition.  They picked up steam and came into some good athletes.  All the schools on the east side are competing against each other for students.   Probably all of them have the capablility to handle more enrollment, but getting students and parents to have to come up with the discretionary income for private school is always a challenge.  

I wish the best for MJCA as I believe they have untapped potential.  I question the administration to be aggressive enough to sell the product they have, but hopefully things can change.  I applaud MJCA for hiring in a real football coach.  Not that the guys before them were bad, they had a lot of things going against them, and I think the day has come where MJCA has to make a decision to be competitive.  When your football is competitive, everything else will fall into place in my opinion.  Parents want to send their children to a program that has a chance to be competitive during their high school career, and there are a lot of kids that miss out on the opportunity to enjoy a high school athletic career at a AAA school where they could contribute at a private school.

It would be nice if this could happen at MJCA. Truth is ,this is what the school is. It has not changed since football began 11 or so seasons ago. It is not going to change now. Nothing else matters,facilities,new coach,new AD,none of these matter . MJCA has had coaches that know football and know how to coach. The new coach you have has never had to coach like he will have to now. He has been where talent is all you need. Do not think for one minute that coaching  has made PC a very good team. Real good players are not coming to MJCA,I am not sure even players at programs where they can not play will come either. This new coach will not be able to change the culture, attitude ,or get more players in the school to play. MJCA is what it is and always will be.

It would be nice if this could happen at MJCA. Truth is ,this is what the school is. It has not changed since football began 11 or so seasons ago. It is not going to change now. Nothing else matters,facilities,new coach,new AD,none of these matter . MJCA has had coaches that know football and know how to coach. The new coach you have has never had to coach like he will have to now. He has been where talent is all you need. Do not think for one minute that coaching  has made PC a very good team. Real good players are not coming to MJCA,I am not sure even players at programs where they can not play will come either. This new coach will not be able to change the culture, attitude ,or get more players in the school to play. MJCA is what it is and always will be.

Unfortunately true. This is not the first "real football coach" to have been hired by MJCA either 2minute.

I have to agree with this post. I have enjoyed watching MJCA play football on several occasions. Every coach there has been hardworking and knowledgeable  of football and all cared about the players and  wanted them to succeed. I am partial to coach Roberts. We worked together and know how he cared for the players and they cared for him. He would still be there if not for a family decision. This is a very tough job and  wins should not be the only criteria used to measure success. In terms of importance this has been a very successful program and the players have benefited from it greatly.My hat is off to all the coaches and players. 

2minutedrill

Just my opinion, but the problem at MJCA isn't the coaches they hire.  It's the ineptness of the administration to attract more students to the school.  They are located in a prime area that can draw from several elementary and middle schools.  Unless they can get some depth, it doesn't matter who the coach is.  They are going to have an uphill batter against Webb, FCS, DCA, etc.

"Changing the culture" needs to happen from the top-down.  I don't see how an athletic director who literally hasn't done anything relevant in any sport since joining the TSSAA can be looked at as a visionary.  The mentality over there is "we are a poor little private school against the others in the region", and that attitude is what needs to change if anything is going to.

I have never ever voiced an opinion on this awesome forum before but will add my two cents. I really enjoy several of the posters and in particular 2minutedrill who always has intelligent opinions and great insight. You seem to understand sports, athletics, coaching, programs and the like.

With that said, the above post in my opinion is 99% accurate. You stated that the problem at MJCA isn't the coaches they hired and I say its both the coaches they had hired and the ineptness of the administration to attract more students to the school. The proof is in the details but first look at the peripherals. For the historians, they can verify that in roughly 13 years of football at MJCA, the teams have won something like 25 games and lost 125 games. That's a 20% win clip if accurate. The question should be, who is evaluating who? and who is evaluating what?

With that said, the new coach Dan Davis seems like a go-getter. Talked football with him briefly while employed by PC in the past and really like the guy. IMO, he should be the beginning of huge changes over there and not just in football.

Here's something Im trying to understand.

Ezell-Harding has 2-wins last year in football and they fire and hire a new coach. They have 24 replies on coach T mostly positve.

Davidson Academy has 3 wins last year in football and they fire and hire a new coach. They have 77 replies on coach T mostly positve.

MJCA has 3 wins last year in football and the coach leaves because of family issues and they hire coach. They have 105 replies on coach T mostly negative.  

If MJCA is such a bad school to have a football program and will never be competitive. Why is their so many people willing to get on coach T use fake call names and bash the AD, Coach's and players? I was taught by great parents as a small child, if you can't say anything good don't say anything at all. Maybe some adults should keep their opinions to yourself and not worry so much about this school.  

Why is there so many MJCA Haters!!!!!!!!!!

Here's something Im trying to understand.

Ezell-Harding has 2-wins last year in football and they fire and hire a new coach. They have 24 replies on coach T mostly positve.

Davidson Academy has 3 wins last year in football and they fire and hire a new coach. They have 77 replies on coach T mostly positve.

MJCA has 3 wins last year in football and the coach leaves because of family issues and they hire coach. They have 105 replies on coach T mostly negative.  

If MJCA is such a bad school to have a football program and will never be competitive. Why is their so many people willing to get on coach T use fake call names and bash the AD, Coach's and players? I was taught by great parents as a small child, if you can't say anything good don't say anything at all. Maybe some adults should keep their opinions to yourself and not worry so much about this school.  

Why is there so many MJCA Haters!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe some MSU fans should understand how a message board works. It isn't always rosy. The truth hurts sometimes, but it is still the truth.