Mt. Juliet Christian Academy

WARBOSS

My comment is saying this hire may be the worst decision he has made. I do not understand it at all. 

What makes it a "worst decision" type of choice?  Do you know Davis personally to make that judgement?  Are you aware that someone, for instance Bobby Bowden, applied for the job that we are unaware about?  Hmmmmm......

What makes it a "worst decision" type of choice?  Do you know Davis personally to make that judgement?  Are you aware that someone, for instance Bobby Bowden, applied for the job that we are unaware about?  Hmmmmm......

I said, "may be". That is my opinion. You have your's and I have mine. You obviously know him ,so enlighten me .

AD is full of bad decisions so trying to rank them would be kinda difficult.  I dont know new coach but just feel for him, hes set up for failure.  Probably a good guy, probably a good coach but they have hired several good guys and coaches but AD screws that up over and over and over again. 

While the AD can be blamed, the administration of the school is at fault as well.  Their lack of leadership at Headmaster should also be looked at.  They need fresh blood, a go-getter, and someone who can capitalize on their location.  Their tuition is on the cheaper side and they should be able to get a lot of kids that want to play.  Why they haven't done that is anyone's guess, but is starts there.  They need fresh ideas, and a visionary for the school.  They have had several good athletes leave just because they know their high school career would be wasted.  

My comment is saying this hire may be the worst decision he has made. I do not understand it at all. 

I believe the decision is multifaceted- 1 and unfortunately the biggest reason is he fit the teaching spot they only had HS History and Ele PE.  Hopefully he gets other one for his staff.  He comes from a program that has had good success especially recently.   That part impressed the AD.  He is and has a solid christian background, a major factor there.  He is a good coach and his references supported that - hence the new HC.

They will have a new headmaster in three more years when Tim Bell gets his 30 years in on state retirement and the last of his kids graduates from MJHS.He is a lifetime member of the church there and he is way too close now to the benefits of 30 yrs. to walk away. NonUTFan, correct or not?

AD is full of bad decisions so trying to rank them would be kinda difficult.  I dont know new coach but just feel for him, hes set up for failure.  Probably a good guy, probably a good coach but they have hired several good guys and coaches but AD screws that up over and over and over again. 

While the AD can be blamed, the administration of the school is at fault as well.  Their lack of leadership at Headmaster should also be looked at.  They need fresh blood, a go-getter, and someone who can capitalize on their location.  Their tuition is on the cheaper side and they should be able to get a lot of kids that want to play.  Why they haven't done that is anyone's guess, but is starts there.  They need fresh ideas, and a visionary for the school.  They have had several good athletes leave just because they know their high school career would be wasted.  

These two posts sum up just about everything about MJCA and its athletics. At the end of the day though, as long as this guy is a good Christian role model and gets the kids to work hard, he'll be a good hire. Regardless of changes or lack thereof, that's what its about at the end of the day.

It is about the experience and I agree if he is a good role model and example then they made a good hire.  BUT you can have that and be competitive at the same time like many of the other private schools they compete against.  If this is all they want then they need to quit claiming they want to change and athletics to be better. 

It does start at the top and unfortunately noone over there has a BIG vision.  Headmaster is an associate pastor and their hires in administrative positions are from small vision schools.  I would like to see it change and I dont even have a dog in the fight.

I have son that will be playing for coach Davis next year and forward to supporting him and his wife as he starts his new career at MJCA. I was very impressed with him and his vision of where he would like to take the football program. I do agree with some people that he will need the full support from the AD to the students at the school.  We have athletes that choose not to play football that could help in many ways. I believe he has seen that when he walked the halls and will try to address that issue. He is a big believer in the weight room and the team took to that very well when coach Harrison was at MJCA.  We will be young this year but if a coach Davis will stay he has talent that will work hard for him. I believe he will see that!!!! Good Luck Coach Davis

I always chuckle when the experts come out to find fault with a program in which they have absolutely no investment and, just as bad, proceed to tell everyone what said program must do to "fix" itself.  

The fault in MJCA v. Webb (in football as well as in other sports) lies not with MJCA, but with Webb and the TSSAA for its absurd classification system.  MJCA has (according to the TSSAA classification numbers) 123  total students in 9th through 12th.  That is boys and girls. and averages to about 15 boys per high school class, (60 total in the entire high school). That is not many boys to make up a football team.  By contrast, Webb has (again, according to the TSSAA classification enrollment figures) 453 students, about as many as BA and 31 more than Ensworth.  That does not take into account the "5-star" players that seem to populate Webb's roster.

Under the current TSSAA classification system, both BA and Ensworth could also play against schools like MJCA.  Instead, they choose to "play up" against similar schools - both in size and philosophy.  Webb is one such similar school - in fact,  Webb used to "play up" as well - their last year in D2-AA, they did not win a single divisional football game.  Webb addressed this by choosing to move down to "play in their class" (i.e. against schools like MJCA) and have won the gold ball just about every year since.  I think something is far wrong here, and I don't think the problem lies with schools like MJCA who simply want to offer their students the opportunity to play traditional 11-man football while maintaining the integrity of their school.  I don't get the impression that they (unlike Webb) are "in it to win it", so criticizing them for not playing for championships is, in my humble opinion, ridiculous.  

Cheers to the MJCAs of the world - they truly represent the ideal of athletics bolstering the educational environment that the school seeks to offer.  Brickbats to the Webbs of the world.

Edited by RedRobin1

2minutedrill

I believe you are a Friendship alumn/ supporter, do you feel this hire will take away a few players who otherwise would wind up at Friendship? This should be a big rival game due to how close both schools are to each other.

They will have a new headmaster in three more years when Tim Bell gets his 30 years in on state retirement and the last of his kids graduates from MJHS.He is a lifetime member of the church there and he is way too close now to the benefits of 30 yrs. to walk away. NonUTFan, correct or not?

I am not sure if that is the plan, but I believe it is a possibility.   From my understanding he was contacted in the past for both the principals position and the Headmaster position, but obviously stayed and I am sure it was to get to retirement.  Would he want to double dip as Headmaster at MJCA regardless of his ties?  Time will tell.