Mt. Juliet Christian Academy

WARBOSS

As a parent of a student athlete at MJCA, I have heard all of these comments regarding the football program, head coaching changes, athletic director, athletic department and more.  However, I know for a fact there are more people than are represented in any of the negative comments in this post that believe in the way the school runs its athletic programs and the leadership in place currently.  I don't think it is possible to determine at this stage of the game (the resignation of Roberts due to family issues coming just last week) who the next head football coach will be, but I know that the AD and staff always work diligently to find the right fit for the school.  Making assumptions about who the next football coach is or stating as fact the reasons that previous coaches and their contracts with the school ended is only hearsay.  Working in an administrative capacity in the business world, I have often found that what happens behind closed doors is never truly represented in the public.  So, I would like to give the school's admin team the benefit of the doubt.  

The truth is MJCA does work with a small enrollment and competes for the same kids with a few other private schools in the area, and at the end of the day, the kids who put those uniforms on and compete on a Friday night work hard, care about getting better, and deserve the best coaching staff the school can afford.  Any coach considering the job will find a family atmosphere with a supportive fan base, and a staff that really cares for the kids.  I've experienced that firsthand with my student athlete, and as a parent, that is what I am paying for.  And lastly, longevity in leadership was attractive to me as a parent.   In a world that places little value on commitment, I actually like the fact our AD has been around that long, and having been around this area for a long time, I have seen firsthand how far he has taken the athletic program during his time.  Look forward to seeing what the new guy can do. 

As a parent of a student athlete at MJCA, I have heard all of these comments regarding the football program, head coaching changes, athletic director, athletic department and more.  However, I know for a fact there are more people than are represented in any of the negative comments in this post that believe in the way the school runs its athletic programs and the leadership in place currently.  I don't think it is possible to determine at this stage of the game (the resignation of Roberts due to family issues coming just last week) who the next head football coach will be, but I know that the AD and staff always work diligently to find the right fit for the school.  Making assumptions about who the next football coach is or stating as fact the reasons that previous coaches and their contracts with the school ended is only hearsay.  Working in an administrative capacity in the business world, I have often found that what happens behind closed doors is never truly represented in the public.  So, I would like to give the school's admin team the benefit of the doubt.  

The truth is MJCA does work with a small enrollment and competes for the same kids with a few other private schools in the area, and at the end of the day, the kids who put those uniforms on and compete on a Friday night work hard, care about getting better, and deserve the best coaching staff the school can afford.  Any coach considering the job will find a family atmosphere with a supportive fan base, and a staff that really cares for the kids.  I've experienced that firsthand with my student athlete, and as a parent, that is what I am paying for.  And lastly, longevity in leadership was attractive to me as a parent.   In a world that places little value on commitment, I actually like the fact our AD has been around that long, and having been around this area for a long time, I have seen firsthand how far he has taken the athletic program during his time.  Look forward to seeing what the new guy can do. 

How far has he taken the program? From the sound of it and if you look at past records, it seems as though the school has never really had a good team in any sport.

Just a few observations & comments from someone on the outside looking in:

1. All of the people at MJCA appear to be very nice and sincere

2. It is a family atmosphere and there are few discipline problems with the students

3. The students work hard in the classroom and will do anything that the coach ask within reason

Now for the less than desirable points:

1. The schools academics are good but not great. They are not close to MBA, McCallie, Baylor, Harpeth Hall, GPS, et...

2. MJCA does not have the financial where with all to go out and hire a top tier coach and bring in a top tier coaching staff ($300,000 per year not counting benefits)

3. Why would a young coach want to take a chance on ruining their career by taking the head coaching job at MJCA if they will not be given the tools to be successful?

Overall the school & the families that attend are great but if your goal is to win a state championship I am not convinced that everyone is on board with that type of commitment.

This is a scenario that plays out far too often, and always at schools that don't succeed athletically.  When they don't, they don't attract a bigger student base, and the catch-22 never goes away.  "You can't win unless you have the players, but you can't get the players unless you win."

It's very simple; schools AND their athletic administrations with vision understand that high schools in the South are driven by football.  They commit the resources to hire quality staffs (not just a Head Coach), build winning programs, MAKE MONEY, gain notoriety, and fund the other athletic programs.  They put political correctness in it's place and make the necessary choices to achieve what is time-proven.  

I've never understood how it's more Christian or more academically minded to lose football games and run an underachieving athletic department.

How far has he taken the program? From the sound of it and if you look at past records, it seems as though the school has never really had a good team in any sport.

Their soccer program has a brand facility.  It's pretty nice.  

The AD isn't a bad guy, he has been there for 15 years.  There is no headmaster, always a headmaster in waiting, or if there is he lets "PC deal with athletics".......which is why for 15 years they have completely been horrible in pretty much everything.  They are decent in basketball and had a pretty good record a couple years back with cupcake scheduling, but got bounced out in the region after starting out 16-1 or something.  

Their programs are terrible and it starts at the top.  Yes, they have great people and decent facilities, but it's the mentality that matters.  And it starts at the top.  

If you want to coach just to win,it will be a tough job. If you want to coach football players to be the best they can it can be very rewarding. There are obstacles at every job whether it be facilities,admin, or talent. All any coach can do is play the hand dealt, coach the players the best you can with what you have and do not worry about the things you have no control over.

Wise words. A lot of coaches forget this. The problem is the expectation to win because many there think the resources exist, so it seems there's been a short leash for coaches through the years. Last I knew though, that locker room isn't taking the field on Friday nights. Instead its a roster that's always low on numbers compared with the teams they play. I agree the facility could help attract new students, but until there's financial aid or work study made available, most students are going to end up elsewhere and they're going to stay in the low 20s on their roster. I've said for years they should move to 8-man with Sewanee, Riverside, Hendersonville Christian, Webb-Bell Buckle, etc. Several of the other teams they'd play are always on their other sports' schedules already. If they did that, they could be a power because they'd be the same size or bigger than the other fish in the pond, as opposed to being the smallest.