How Did Goodpasture Drop to Single A?

bobcatfan300

Two points:

1. I understand the rul of not jumping two classifacations in football. Not saying its fair or right, but I at least understand the rule its self. With that being said, they weren't going to jump two classifacations. THEY WERE ALREADY AA!!! (AAA play-off) I don't care if it was their choice to play up or not. The fact of the matter is that they were already there.

2. It was mentioned earlier that they had 1A enrollment even with the multiplier. That is wrong. According to the enrollment numbers presented by the TSSAA at the time of classifacation changes, Goodpasture has an enrollment (with the multiplier) of 603, which is larger than 22 schools which are AA (AAA play-off.)

But who's keeping count anyways?

If I'm not mistaken, Memphis Mitchell (public) was playing AA in basketball last year, as well as 4A in football. They dropped all the way down to 2A in football, and A in basketball.  So with what your saying, they should not have been able to drop either, even though the numbers say otherwise? 

PS: I'm for a split, probably for different reasons than you, but I can't wait until a public/private split. 

Edited by reaction

Don't forget you are multiplying their enrollment by 1.8 so they actually have about 335 kids or somewhere in that range. The multiplier doesn't mean they have 603 kids.

No I'm not forgetting that. Their real enrollment doesn't matter. The only thing that matters when it comes to how the TSSAA classifies then is their enrolment WITH the multiplier, wich is 603. Larger than almost 1/5 of AA.

If I'm not mistaken, Memphis Mitchell (public) was playing AA in basketball last year, as well as 4A in football. They dropped all the way down to 2A in football, and A in basketball. So with what your saying, they should not have been able to drop either, even though the numbers say otherwise?

PS: I'm for a split, probably for different reasons than you, but I can't wait until a public/private split.

I'm not positive on that situation. But what I do know is that Mitchel WAS a AA school by enrolment in 2009. Now as for playing 4A play-off football, I don't know if they were playing up or if that what they really were. But the did have the numbers of a AA school. By 2013 their numbers had dropped enough be bumped down to A. Fair and square.

So the two situations are not the same. In 2009, both Goodpasture and Mitchell had AA numbers, and were where they belonged. By 2013, Mitchell's enrollment decreased, and they went to A, which by the numbers is where they belong. By 2013, Goodpasture's enrollment INcreased, yet they dropped down to A, which by the numbers is NOT where they belong.

Btw, when I was younger, I used to think that there should be a public-private split. I don't believe that anymore. I think the multiplier system works fine WHEN the TSSAA doesn't create loop-hole rules so certain private schools practicly don't have to abide by the rules already set forth. I mean how is that fair to schools like CAK or CPA who have to abide by the rule and play up?

I'm not positive on that situation. But what I do know is that Mitchel WAS a AA school by enrolment in 2009. Now as for playing 4A play-off football, I don't know if they were playing up or if that what they really were. But the did have the numbers of a AA school. By 2013 their numbers had dropped enough be bumped down to A. Fair and square.

So the two situations are not the same. In 2009, both Goodpasture and Mitchell had AA numbers, and were where they belonged. By 2013, Mitchell's enrollment decreased, and they went to A, which by the numbers is where they belong. By 2013, Goodpasture's enrollment INcreased, yet they dropped down to A, which by the numbers is NOT where they belong.

Btw, when I was younger, I used to think that there should be a public-private switch. I don't believe that anymore. I think the multiplier system works fine WHEN the TSSAA doesn't create loop-hole rules so certain private schools practicly don't have to abide by the rules already set forth.

I'm actually the opposite. I use not want a split, but now I do. 

I think the total split will happen very soon. I know of at least one county that already has that proposal in the works. Their once public only region took on a new flavor this year.

I actually think the split is coming very soon.Should have happened when they did the multiplier, but its better late ,than never.

This year will be the year that decides the publics and privates need to split... With the likes of Goodpasture, Boyd from the East, CPA, etc. once private schools start dominating things need to change... This hurts small private schools doing it the right way but there is just no other way.... This doesn't happen in AAA... Private schools of that size are nonexistent.... Also how hard would it be to "unenroll" several students when it is time to count and then "reenroll" them later... For schools on the edge a small number of students could make a difference... It may not happen this year, but in the near future the divisions will split.

OK, rant over.

Private schools should be made to play at the highest classification level if they are in Div I. This would solve all the issues as the playing field would be a lot closer to level. If that were to happen you would see a mass exodus by the privates from Div I because they wouldn't win as much and we all know that is paramount to some programs. There is no quick fix and teams like GP and CPA are playing by the rules that TSSAA wrote so until a split happens everyone will just have to deal with it and get better. I don't believe TSSAA should allow a private school to flip flop every 4 years like some do though.

Private schools should be made to play at the highest classification level if they are in Div I. This would solve all the issues as the playing field would be a lot closer to level. If that were to happen you would see a mass exodus by the privates from Div I because they wouldn't win as much and we all know that is paramount to some programs. There is no quick fix and teams like GP and CPA are playing by the rules that TSSAA wrote so until a split happens everyone will just have to deal with it and get better. I don't believe TSSAA should allow a private school to flip flop every 4 years like some do though.

We will be gone soon. Then you won't have to worry any privates in Div 1. Its coming...

The TSSAA will have a split soon, I hear that football will go back to 5 and possibly 4 divisions, 3 in all other sports status quo. For privates, due to number , this will increase to 3 potential classes in football , 2 classes in other sports.

This should satisfy the outcry on private vs public for the SHORT TERM. Once the privates get settled in playing each other, the arms race will start. Public school talent will be recruited like never before and public team quality will drop off to a new low. Privates will have to keep putting more and more cash into sports in order to keep up with the other privates. As an example, CPA, Ensworth, Brentwood Academy, BGA, FRA are within a 10 to 20 mile radius, they will go hard after public kids to keep up with each other. Sorry, I should have thrown in Father Ryan and MBA as well. The small county schools that traditionally have great programs(Trousdale Cty for example) will be hit. A player like K Harper would be targeted by several schools to come there. Why would parents not allow their son or daughter to get a private education if recruited? Who could blame them?

The TSSAA will have a split soon, I hear that football will go back to 5 and possibly 4 divisions, 3 in all other sports status quo. For privates, due to number , this will increase to 3 potential classes in football , 2 classes in other sports.

This should satisfy the outcry on private vs public for the SHORT TERM. Once the privates get settled in playing each other, the arms race will start. Public school talent will be recruited like never before and public team quality will drop off to a new low. Privates will have to keep putting more and more cash into sports in order to keep up with the other privates. As an example, CPA, Ensworth, Brentwood Academy, BGA, FRA are within a 10 to 20 mile radius, they will go hard after public kids to keep up with each other. Sorry, I should have thrown in Father Ryan and MBA as well. The small county schools that traditionally have great programs(Trousdale Cty for example) will be hit. A player like K Harper would be targeted by several schools to come there. Why would parents not allow their son or daughter to get a private education if recruited? Who could blame them?

This poses a question and that is what IS the private christian schools' message? If I read your post correctly, it sounds like you are saying the private schools you are referring to have the mentality of win a gold object at all cost not spread the word of God which is very disturbing if you ask me. I don't believe that is the case with all programs but there are a select few that fall close to that category. Edited by UCSportsFan