New Classification Idea

rebelboy121

I am sure, in baseball only the top 2 from each district advance. It makes the district tournament that much more important....

True in baseball only the top 2 advance, but then baseball is also double elimination. You can make up for that in basketball by having 3 teams from each district advance.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True in baseball only the top 2 advance, but then baseball is also double elimination. You can make up for that in basketball by having 3 teams from each district advance.

Baseball is double elimination that way one or two pitchers doesn't win you the state tournament, it helps assure the winner has a complete team. I just mentioned what I did because it would eliminate the possibility of playing the same team 5 times on the way to a state championship.....

Kentucky has the right idea!!!! Check out how they do it. Our many classifications are for money. Football is even crazier with different classifications within same region. It's really not as difficult as TSSAA makes it. If you want classifications, go back to the two classifications, small and large!!!! That's how I feel!!!!

Edited by tnwareagle

I have coached in AL & TN and I have been at the ahsaa state tournament all week. Great atmosphere!!!!! The biggest issue here is classifications! How anyone can justify giving 6 teams rings in football and 3 in other sports is beyond me. Btw football has less teams than basketball and way more kids per team that get a chance at a state championship. Why are football players more deserving than everyone else, other than the fact that we basketball coaches etc.. just set back and take it! Last time I checked our state wasn't exactly putting out lots of 4 and 5 star football players anyway. That said, I would like to see what would happen if someone proposed only 3 classes in football! Pretty sure they wouldn't stand for it! Alabama is going to 7 classes across the board next year to "make things more fair." I ran the numbers and adjusted for AL only counting 10-12 for classification numbers and found that a some teams in our district would be THREE classes smaller than the majority of the other schools in our district according to Alabama's areas. Absolutely amazing! The BCAT (basketball coaches association of TN) which I know has already proposed 6 classes was all but laughed at! Their best bet for change would be to take all the money they make on great clinics and pay the football association to make a 6 class proposal across the board! Because football is the only sport with enough backbone and influence to get anything done!!!!!

The fact that the TSSAA creates 6 classes in football and 3 in everything else is absolutely pathetic. Our system is outdated and utterly embarrassing. When coaches/officials/fans from other states hear about this they can not believe how far in the past we are in Tennessee. It is the right time for the TSSAA to step up to the plate and fix the classification issue!

Wish the tssaa would take a look at how Alabama does their classification and their tournaments, The basketball tourney is going on right now. Their region tournaments made more than our state tournaments. Six classes in all sports would mean all schools playing teams that are closer in size.  Makes sense to some its up to the schools to make it happen.

Word around is that the NFHS was at the Alabama state tournament all week because they are so impressed with the format.

Baseball is double elimination that way one or two pitchers doesn't win you the state tournament, it helps assure the winner has a complete team. I just mentioned what I did because it would eliminate the possibility of playing the same team 5 times on the way to a state championship.....

No, in Division 1 baseball, it is not double elimination, and one pitcher can (and sadly, usually does), gets a school to the state tournament.  In baseball (and softball), the district champions host the runner ups from the adjoining districts on Monday.  That game is one and done, win or go home.  The winners meet on Wednesday and all that games determines who stays home and who travels on Friday.  Friday determines who makes the state tournament and who goes home for good.    One good pitcher wins on Monday and Friday.... 

No, in Division 1 baseball, it is not double elimination, and one pitcher can (and sadly, usually does), gets a school to the state tournament. In baseball (and softball), the district champions host the runner ups from the adjoining districts on Monday. That game is one and done, win or go home. The winners meet on Wednesday and all that games determines who stays home and who travels on Friday. Friday determines who makes the state tournament and who goes home for good. One good pitcher wins on Monday and Friday....

In tennessee the state tournament is double elimination, that's what I was referring too. In 2006, I believe that is the correct year, Friendship lost the first game if the tournament and then went on to win the state tournament....