New Classification Idea

rebelboy121

UC, I don't turn a blind eye, never have, never will. But what I do is turn my focus on what I can do to help make my team better. And complaining and hollering about unfair unfair is not how to make my team better. And if school X had the facilities and academics, there would be no transfers.

Curious about why no comments on JC moving to AAA to make it fair to the other A class teams obviously, they have something better at that school that makes them so dominate.

DavidL, I don't know the history and that's why I was asking. What is easier, is to write, "unfair, unfair, they give scholarships. That's so unfair to us poor public schools". What's hard is doing something about it.

Call it what one will, but this conversation about splitting public and private is nothing more than (pun intended) class warfare. The rich private schools stealing the students and beating the poor public schools. Bool hooo

The reason we win a lot in girls basketball is mainly because we have a great coach. Look at our record before he took over and you will agree. We were everyone's home coming. Now look at all of our other sports and our record in those sports and then tell me how ridiculous your statement is for us to move to AAA. When is the last time CPA had a losing season in men's basketball? Baseball? Softball? Football? Golf? Soccer?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is what I would prefer, I came up with this for basketball:

Four Classes, no private schools

Class A to Hampton at 429

Class AA to Crockett County at 782

Class AAA to Knoxville West at 1244

Class AAAA to Blackman at 2381

These numbers could go up or down slightly each year or classification period. It might seem unnecessary to go to four classes but if you stuck with three and did it equally, Class A would rise to about 575 and Class AA would go to about 1150.

I'd also do football dividing by only football schools, and take a look at dividing other sports just by the schools participating, not the number of schools as a whole in the TSSAA.

I think more could be done. Take a look at the proposal on the first page, it would be tremendously better.

These sample classes would average five teams per district which would be ideal around here-likely Sequatchie, Bledsoe, Grundy, Marion and Signal Mt together in basketball. Any more classes than that and you may have three or four team districts or regions spread out 2-3 hours apart.

DavidL, I don't know the history and that's why I was asking. What is easier, is to write, "unfair, unfair, they give scholarships. That's so unfair to us poor public schools". What's hard is doing something about it.

Call it what one will, but this conversation about splitting public and private is nothing more than (pun intended) class warfare. The rich private schools stealing the students and beating the poor public schools. Bool hooo

Far from class warfare. Some felt a total lack of fairness, and not a level playing field. 

The history of the split?

1995 was the tipping point.

5A (5 classifications then) football championship game:

Brentwood Academy 27

Riverdale 16

Several players on Brentwood Academy's team lived in Rutherford County, some zoned Riverdale.

1996:

Brentwood Academy 28

Jefferson County 7

1997?

D1 and D2 playoffs....

High School sports by its nature is inherently 'unfair'.  As my late papa said, "Fair" is where they judge the pigs.

Some argue how is it fair for a 2831 student Blackman High School to compete for a state title against a 1306 student Columbia High School?  

No two schools have the same facilities, commitment from administration, tax base, community support, number of students or zoning regulations.

High school sports is a way to get kids involved. To teach them some life skills.  99% of high school players (sadly, not their parents) will forget most of the details of the games they played in, but will remember the memories of being part of a team and the job and people skills they learn. 

First off; our school travels around 1.5 hours plus for 4 out of 6 district games and the other two are close to an hour so I understand travel. Also, we have had to drive over 3 hours for one game in the first rd of region. If that's the issue, then why not do it like football? Play two classes together in the regular season and then split them up into 6 classes for the tournament? Travel stays the same and basketball gets the same amount of rings and opportunity as football. Please now, coaches in schools at the upper end of classifications and football people tell me why this idea is so far fetched???????? Btw- this makes more sense in a tournament sport than even football!

Loretto lost three times

Yesterday was Loretto's 4th loss in the tournament. They lost twice in the district. Lost in the regional finals and then yesterday. Their tournament record was 4-4 after yesterday. There should never be a team that loses that many tournament games and gets as deep in the tournament as they did. It isn't Lorreto's fault, this is squarely on the TSSAA format.

Far from class warfare. Some felt a total lack of fairness, and not a level playing field.

The history of the split?

1995 was the tipping point.

5A (5 classifications then) football championship game:

Brentwood Academy 27

Riverdale 16

Several players on Brentwood Academy's team lived in Rutherford County, some zoned Riverdale.

1996:

Brentwood Academy 28

Jefferson County 7

1997?

D1 and D2 playoffs....

High School sports by its nature is inherently 'unfair'. As my late papa said, "Fair" is where they judge the pigs.

Some argue how is it fair for a 2831 student Blackman High School to compete for a state title against a 1306 student Columbia High School?

No two schools have the same facilities, commitment from administration, tax base, community support, number of students or zoning regulations.

High school sports is a way to get kids involved. To teach them some life skills. 99% of high school players (sadly, not their parents) will forget most of the details of the games they played in, but will remember the memories of being part of a team and the job and people skills they learn.

Well said. Doug has no clue beyond the end of his nose

Six would not work. If you're talking three regular season classes then split for playoffs, you'd run into the same problems football has but even more with teams playing out of state tournaments and having more games to figure in to the mix. If you are talking six classes in the regular season, you have either 16 districts averaging 3.5 teams or 8 regions with some or most way too spread out. Region 1 in Class A would probably go from Knoxville to the northeast corner. It is different than football when games are played on Fridays.