Public/Private Split

dawg101

Too many differences. One group wants something separate academic and spiritually, but wants the same in athletics..makes zero sense.

+1. Exactly. The public school curriculum isn't the same so THEY CHOOSE to do things differently. Public schools for the most part are bound by the tax payers scholastic laws. Does every public school educate the same NO but they are bound by many of the same things. Time restraints funding etc. You don't think a fully funded private school has an advantage over a small rural school in 1 a or even aa. Really? It's a choice THEY made right or wrong to seperate not the public schools. So on top of the many advantages a private school has they should also dictate who does what in after school activities? Their choice in the matter was made by the definition of the word Private School. You want privacy. All for it but don't expect it when you step into a public world.

Edited by anotherback

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

+1. Exactly. The public school curriculum isn't the same so THEY CHOOSE to do things differently. Public schools for the most part are bound by the tax payers scholastic laws. Does every public school educate the same NO but they are bound by many of the same things. Time restraints funding etc. You don't think a fully funded private school has an advantage over a small rural school in 1 a or even aa. Really? It's a choice THEY made right or wrong to seperate not the public schools. So on top of the many advantages a private school has they should also dictate who does what in after school activities? Their choice in the matter was made by the definition of the word Private School. You want privacy. All for it but don't expect it when you step into a public world.

I want to understand your statement, "It's a choice THEY made right or wrong to seperate not the public schools".  I did not know the history of the split until the other day.  As I understand it, the public schools in D1 A-AA wanted the privates out due to football in mid 90's.  The Board of TSSAA voted for the split and put in the rules covering tuition and playing in D1 with public schools.

To be academically certified, private schools have to meet certain criteria just as the public schools do.  You can't just open a school and teach what you want.  Privates do not receive federal funding but have to follow certain federal guidelines.

Edited by QSouth89

I want to understand your statement, "It's a choice THEY made right or wrong to seperate not the public schools".  I did not know the history of the split until the other day.  As I understand it, the public schools in D1 A-AA wanted the privates out due to football in mid 90's.  The Board of TSSAA voted for the split and put in the rules covering tuition and playing in D1 with public schools.

You have to go back a few years to understand the split thing. The deal we are now in is just the latest installment.

To be academically certified, private schools have to meet certain criteria just as the public schools do. You can't just open a school and teach what you want. Privates do not receive federal funding but have to follow certain federal guidelines.

Yes. You're correct but are all the restraints are the same. I actually think the public schools should follow their lead academically but the money isn't there to have the best of whatever you need. They pull resources from the same pool. Private schools have a larger choice in many areas. From lunch to teachers All I'm saying is it was Their choice at some point to do things different than public schools. So it shouldn't bother them that the majority of public schools want this change. It's right there In the definitions of the words public / private. Seperate. No right or wrong just different.

Edited by anotherback

I want to understand your statement, "It's a choice THEY made right or wrong to seperate not the public schools". I did not know the history of the split until the other day. As I understand it, the public schools in D1 A-AA wanted the privates out due to football in mid 90's. The Board of TSSAA voted for the split and put in the rules covering tuition and playing in D1 with public schools.

My bad. What I'm saying is. Whoever decided to build the school at some point said we don't want to be under the same guide lines or we want to do things this way or however you want to phrase it so we won't take your public funding. And that's great but right then the choice was made to seperate. The atheletic thing. the split that's a result ,whenever it occurred the split may not of been by their choice ,the fact that the school is private is.

Edited by anotherback

Yes. You're correct but are all the restraints are the same. I actually think the public schools should follow their lead academically but the money isn't there to have the best of whatever you need. They pull resources from the same pool. Private schools have a larger choice in many areas. From lunch to teachers All I'm saying is it was Their choice at some point to do things different than public schools. So it shouldn't bother them that the majority of public schools want this change. It's right there In the definitions of the words public / private. Seperate. No right or wrong just different.

Private schools usually pay less then public schools.  Most teachers go to privates schools to work for peace of mind.  I teach at an alternative school for kids with behavior issues and let me tell you, it can stress you out.

this is not meant to be insulting but it may sound that was when you read it.  Our kids would rather have a better quality of food than they get from the food service at our school.  something about hospital and coach-class airplane food is an improvement.

The teachers' pay for privates is for the vast majority lower than public schools.  the distinction between public and private has to do with the atmosphere and philosophy that a private school can adopt. 

How did you arrive at the conclusion that the private schools need the TSSAA? Since the argument/debate on CoachT is they have all this money couldn't they afford to go independent? I mean after all there is only 22 private schools playing D1 and the majority of those are single A why do they need to hold on?

That's a good question. Why do they? So if they don't need the T$$AA why stay? Cause there are private schools in the state that don't belong to the T$ $AA. Some belong to a national affiliate but still schedule local Teams. Hamilton Heights in Chattanooga is one and their boys team is loaded. Not unbeatable but loaded and the majority of them are overseas kids. They chose to be private and then chose to have a large number of foreign players. Again not right or wrong just what they chose.

In the first round of the boys state tournament there were six public versus private matchups. The poor ole publics went 5-1 against the evil private empire. Next up on the list of complaints is rural publics having to play against urban publics or open zoned publics.

5-1. 1st round of the state. That's one way to look at it. Here's another. It was stated I believe that their are currently 22 private schools competing against public schools for championships. So 6 of them made it to state. That's over 25 %. But they make up a much smaller percent of total participants. Pretty good.

That's a good question. Why do they? So if they don't need the T$$AA why stay? Cause there are private schools in the state that don't belong to the T$ $AA. Some belong to a national affiliate but still schedule local Teams. Hamilton Heights in Chattanooga is one and their boys team is loaded. Not unbeatable but loaded and the majority of them are overseas kids. They chose to be private and then chose to have a large number of foreign players. Again not right or wrong just what they chose.

But Hamilton Heights isn't apart of the TSSAA. They play games to play games. They are not D1 or D2 so can you give me a better example of why the privates need the TSSAA. If anything privates and publics need them to play for state titles or am I missing something?