1A next year.

Galilee

I've got three who stand alone...Dean Smith, Pat Summitt, and Tom Landry. All three changed the way the game was played, watched, and governed...and who's character is beyond question. There are more with an argument, but I stand by these three alone...you talkin 'bout Roy Williams or Roy Dillard???...LOL!!!

Are you serious? John Wooden, Vince Lombardi, and Red Auerbach to name three. Would put these three above any of yours. And we are leaving out Krzyewski, Bear Bryant, Rupp, and Phil Jackson.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you serious? John Wooden, Vince Lombardi, and Red Auerbach to name three. Would put these three above any of yours. And we are leaving out Krzyewski, Bear Bryant, Rupp, and Phil Jackson.

I don't like either but I'll give you Krzyewski and Bryant , but Rupp invented the recruiting violation , and I have a goldfish that could have coached those Bulls and Lakers teams Jackson had to championships,

I don't like either but I'll give you Krzyewski and Bryant , but Rupp invented the recruiting violation , and I have a goldfish that could have coached those Bulls and Lakers teams Jackson had to championships,

So you don't believe John Wooden belongs? 10 Championships, 7 straight when no one else has one more than 2. Geno over Pat any day, she won most of hers when the field was really weak.

So you don't believe John Wooden belongs? 10 Championships, 7 straight when no one else has one more than 2. Geno over Pat any day, she won most of hers when the field was really weak.

Wooden won most of his when the field was weak if you want to argue that. I love John Wooden though. His best coaching and teaching had nothing to do with basketball which is what I thought made him great. Geno over Pat??? I hope your smart enough not to say that in public anywhere in TN. Geno gets the best players with promises of being on SC when no other womens program gets that much air time. He is an arrogant #### in my opinion. Pat IS the John Wooden of womens basketball.

Don't have a problem with Wooden or Lombardi on your list just thought Jackson was an awful choice. Had the two best players in the league on his teams both times he won multiple championships. Greg Popovich coaches circles around Phil Jackson.

The thing with Wooden is that no one won more than two before his seven or after . Don't think we will ever see someone like him again. He was a great man and very humble. I agree with your comments on Geno, wouldn't want my daughter playing for him. I think his ego will keep him going until he passes Pat.

Adamsville could be a contender. Probably should have went farther this year. I heard Campbell opened some eyes this past weekend in AAU tourney in MS. As I said before Mitchell and Union City would have to be the favorites. I also think Trinity would have to be mentioned in a group of 10 that might make state tourney. I think they return everyone.

All good coaches...no argument against any on your list, I just like mine better! Dean's four corner offense forced the NCAA to implement the shot clock, and yes...I was a fan before ol' #23 came along. Smith was humble when he won, gracious when he lost, and a brilliant play caller.

Landry "invented" the 4-3 defense while an assistant at NY, the shotgun offense and the nickel defense at Dallas, and modified the 4-3 into what he called "flex"...nobody else has "evolved" the way the game was/is played like Landry. No offense to the rest, but best football coach ever.

Pat Summitt...best coach ever...any sport...any era...any gender. Took a whole sport that was irrelevant to national prominence, at an irrelevant school in that sport. Lacked nothing...she coached offense, defense, mental toughness, pride in yourself and your school, great recruiter, and graduated every player to ever wear the orange. The 1996 championship team was the best coaching job ever done, in my opinion, and had her health not been a factor, Wooden's championship record may have been in trouble...1,500 wins was almost certain.

Wooden has a place on the list, he was a great teacher and motivator, but always had the best team. Pete Carril (Princeton) was also great...some of the best teams ever assembled had trouble with Pete's very average athletes due to his offensive brilliance. The list could go on, but I'm happy with my original three.

WTNHOOPS,

MHAS and KIPP will be vastly better. I think they will excel better than BTW and TCA. They return a lot of players. With Tim Thompson as the new football coach at KIPP they will have some athletes to mix with thier basketball players.

Edited by Galilee