Shelby County 2014 Pre-Season Thread (Districts 14, 15, & 16)

kwc

What little I have seen this spring Millington has looked fairly experienced.

They had a scrimmage against Dyersburg  and Houston and handled both rather well. The QB Rob_M is talking about is Eldon Tymes. He got some starting time as a freshman due to Millington's 1 & 2 QBs going down to injuries early in the 2012 season. He was the starter in 2013 as a sophomore and did very well. So this is his third year starting and he's a Jr.  He scored several TDs a variety of ways last year and in the 2 spring games this year. They have a senior LB Patrick Macon that has been recording double digit tackles almost every game since his sophomore year and I personally think he will have his best year this year if he keeps his head on straight. WR Damarius Curry is small in size but has that big time play ability every time he touches the ball and I look for him to contribute big this year. The OLine is where Millington has been weak the last couple of years and that has seemed to have gotten some size to it this year. 

The coaches and players may not agree with this analysis but this is all just my opinion from what I've seen through spring practice and scrimmage.

Edited by TNHSFOOTBALLFAN

What little I have seen this spring Millington has looked fairly experienced.

They had a scrimmage against Dyersburg  and Houston and handled both rather well. The QB Rob_M is talking about is Eldon Tymes. He got some starting time as a freshman due to Millington's 1 & 2 QBs going down to injuries early in the 2012 season. He was the starter in 2013 as a sophomore and did very well. So this is his third year starting and he's a Jr.  He scored several TDs a variety of ways last year and in the 2 spring games this year. They have a senior LB Patrick Macon that has been recording double digit tackles almost every game since his sophomore year and I personally think he will have his best year this year if he keeps his head on straight. WR Damarius Curry is small in size but has that big time play ability every time he touches the ball and I look for him to contribute big this year. The OLine is where Millington has been weak the last couple of years and that has seemed to have gotten some size to it this year. 

The coaches and players may not agree with this analysis but this is all just my opinion from what I've seen through spring practice and scrimmage.

Thanks TNHSFOOTBALLFAN for your input. I take it you think that Millington will be in the hunt for the 5A title. You've read what I think about Ridgeway, East, and Melrose. How do you envision the 5A quad four playoff situation setting up?

Edited by kwc

kwc, I do believe Millington will reload this year better than I thought. East beat us in the first rd last year by 5 in a great competive game. And from what you said about them bringing back most of that team they could be dangerous. They'll make a deep run in the post season.

I'm not sure if this is the year for Melrose but they are definitely headed back to the top with their program. Ridgeway is always a top preseason pick and they've been knocking on that State Titles door the last few years. They will be up there but I believe East is the better team this year.

kwc, I do believe Millington will reload this year better than I thought. East beat us in the first rd last year by 5 in a great competive game. And from what you said about them bringing back most of that team they could be dangerous. They'll make a deep run in the post season.

I'm not sure if this is the year for Melrose but they are definitely headed back to the top with their program. Ridgeway is always a top preseason pick and they've been knocking on that State Titles door the last few years. They will be up there but I believe East is the better team this year.

I take it that you are thinking like I am that Ridgeway, East, Melrose, and Millington are going to be the top 4 in 5A coming out of Quad 4 in the post season. What about Dyersburg, Dyer County, Bartlett and the rest?

Edited by kwc

I know nothing about Dyer co. We handled Dyersburg fairly easy but it was a spring scrimmage so who knows come Aug. I'm hearing Bartlett is picking up a talented senior from Arlington that would no doubt be a huge contributor at QB but not sure that he's not going to sit out football this year and concentrate on baseball. Probably trying to protect that 92 mph fastball he has. In saying all that  is why I asked about Arlingtons QB situation in a earlier comment.  Arlington lost a lot to graduation this year but they are always loaded so I'm sure this year will be no different.  Sorry I don't have more for you but I just haven't kept up with it as much this year,,yet.  Sounds like Whitehaven is ready to make another run at Maryville this year.  Good luck to y'all  

Let me chime in. .. Melrose ain't ready. All they have is J.J..a couple of guys with speed but no skill. Their OL/DL is totally suspect. .. central massive line and QB have fits last year and could pose a problem this year but as always we will find a way to win a tough game. .east and Ridgeway both have QB's that can see over defenses and cause fits with their passing game but with that locomotive (JM) coming off the edge and the play of out hard hitting LB's they may not have much time to work with so we make up for tough times. ..we (whs) has some tough games but Jordan Williams is smarter and better than the rest. If he stays healthy, we head back to cookeville!!!!

Let me chime in. .. Melrose ain't ready. All they have is J.J..a couple of guys with speed but no skill. Their OL/DL is totally suspect. .. central massive line and QB have fits last year and could pose a problem this year but as always we will find a way to win a tough game. .east and Ridgeway both have QB's that can see over defenses and cause fits with their passing game but with that locomotive (JM) coming off the edge and the play of out hard hitting LB's they may not have much time to work with so we make up for tough times. ..we (whs) has some tough games but Jordan Williams is smarter and better than the rest. If he stays healthy, we head back to cookeville!!!!

Well, last year it wasn't East or Melrose who prevented us from advancing deep into the playoffs; it was our old nemesis, White Station. I'm not discounting Melrose, East, nor Ridgeway for that matter because we don't want to lose to any of those guys but Whitehaven's main concern will be Central and White Station. Both were drastically improved last year and I don't see that changing this year. I know White Station graduated a lot of guys, but they always reload. This year will be interesting indeed because District 16 is one of the deepest, toughest districts in the state .. if not THE toughest.

I can't wait!

Well, last year it wasn't East or Melrose who prevented us from advancing deep into the playoffs; it was our old nemesis, White Station. I'm not discounting Melrose, East, nor Ridgeway for that matter because we don't want to lose to any of those guys but Whitehaven's main concern will be Central and White Station. Both were drastically improved last year and I don't see that changing this year. I know White Station graduated a lot of guys, but they always reload. This year will be interesting indeed because District 16 is one of the deepest, toughest districts in the state .. if not THE toughest.

I can't wait!

I agree. First time in a while that I think the best district in the state does not reside from Middle TN. 16-AAA has 4 teams that got a chance at making a deep run in the playoffs

• Upvote 1

I can't wait!

Injuries and EGOS prevented a deep playoff run imho

Injuries and EGOS prevented a deep playoff run imho

The injury issue is a part of the game. Egos on the other hand is a horse of a different color. I hope last year's dissappointing end to the season has rooted out that particular cancer. The best way to destroy a team from the inside out is by allowing overblown egos and arrogance to have reign. Confidence is key ... but arrogance goes before a fall. Some folks can't tell the difference sometimes. I truley believe that some people think that humility is a weakness, when it is actually one of the biggest strengths that a person can posses. Walking in humility comes before exaultation. I'm convinced that a lot of folks have it backwards just from observing their actions. The recommended way to get rid of contention that comes from the pressence of arrogance is to cast out the scorner.

Edited by kwc

Of course white station is the most important game. But they won't have what they had last year by graduation and the loss of 2 other key players.. they won't have enough to beat us this year. They shouldn't have last year. In all big games Jordan Williams will show why he is one of the best we ever had!!!