Coalfield Baseball

FridayMainEvent

And some refs/umps need to adjust their attitudes on the field.  I agree the player was out of line and should be punished.  My point is the ump is not as innocent in this matter as some people claim he is.  Some refs/umps are great, some have a major attitude problem and seem to look for confrontation.  This ump is telling parents to shut up and he'll throw their ####'s in jail anytime at anyplace.  That was way out of line....all parties were out of line and the ump needs to be disciplined too.

If he was saying that then he needs to be suspended for umping for a year...but the punch being thrown is inexcusable. I do hope the young man learns a lesson from this. I also hope the Coalfield coach will talk to the team...especially the young man that was interviewed & let them know that there is no justification for acting this way & that there are major consequences in the real world for these actions!!!

Is there another video out there that I have not seen yet? I watched one and didn't see any umpire acting any where near out of line. After the punch was thrown the field ump did get more agitated, but who the heck wouldn't? I'm sure he will have a disscusion with someone in Hermitage about being the bigger man and not acting out because of some kid. The coach needs some serious discipline as well. He should have gotten his players away from the umpires exit and tried to do some crowd control. He knew things were heated. Too many coaches out there have the maturity level of a teenager when calls don't go there way. I hate to see innocent players being punished because of the one hot head, but apparently there are a lot of issues with this school and they have seemingly gone unaddressed by administrators. The coach needs the harshest punishment, no doubt.

No there is not another video. I believe everyone agrees that the player and fans were out of line and the punishment is justified.

I also think the umpire made some bad choices. Umpiring 101, do not engage the fans. The only thing that can occur is enticing the crowd.

For the record I am not a umpire hater. Umpires make good calls and bad calls. It is what it is. As a spectator, player, or coach..... Live with it.

One person does not create an incident like I saw on the video.

Coalfield's coach was obviously trying to usher the ump away from the situation, as the crowd and players were too far gone to control...should have a more disciplined team than to be involved in such a mob scene though.

The ump was out of line with his comments...shut the **** up should not come from the mouth of a TSSAA sanctioned official, and the threat of throwing people in jail because he is an "almighty" law enforcement officer is just sickening. Mind the fact that he implied it as a threat and not as a deterrent to the situation. He had every right to be where he was exiting the field and waiting for his fellow official.

The player who threw the punch reacted to the comment directed to his mother...no excuses here, it's not to be done at all, never ever(even though provoked).

Parents...REALLY???...it's a ballgame!!! Nice example to set for the kids...no wonder that there have been incidents already.

Administrators...third incident this year, should have been a precedent set already. If unacceptable behavior goes unpunished it will be repeated.

TSSAA...official's actions are under more scrutiny than ever before...if allowed to behave in any manner that they choose, this type incident will be repeated. Under no circumstance should they allow officials to speak in such a manner...guidelines suggest that they not even acknowledge the crowd, much less curse and make threats in return. Punish this guy as well as the school and player who threw the punch.

From what I saw the umpire was trying to walk away. Either way he shouldn't have put himself in that position, but on the other hand under no circumstances should a 17,17, or 18 yr old kid put himself in the position of an adult in that situation. And under zero circumstances should a kid throw a punch at a grown man (unless one of his family members was getting beat up, different story then.) Put your tough guy ego to the side, swallow your pride and live to fight another day.

Can someone clarify this. Everything I have read on here says the player to a swing at the umpire but didn't hit him. The Tennessean is reporting that the player actually hit the umpire.

I don't believe he would have been arrested if he didn't actually get the guy. Edited by orngnblk

There are indeed two seperate videos of this incident. One taken by a Wartburg parent/fan from up on the hill and another taken by a Coalfield parent/fan taken from maybe 3 feet away. You can see her using her cell phone to record the whole thing in the wartburg parents video. The second video is much more damning for the ump. He clearly loses his cool and starts towards people screaming and pointing his finger. Within seconds of pointing his finger the player throws a hay maker that clearly misses. The local Knoxville news even showed it still framed and the punch clearly misses. The swing was so hard that if he had hit him he would have probably knocked him out. The ump is just as guilty as the player and should never ump another baseball game. The school should be glad their punishment wasnt worse.

Edited by tnbassman