Sevier County Smoky Bears 2014

gobears89

• Replies 755
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now you're right about that. Maryville had a terrible field. Oak Ridge has a good one and maintains it well until late fall when the grass turns brown. Always had good drainage on our field, thankfully.

A lot of people never knew this but Maryville's field ran downwards from the street going towards the weight room and that's why it's sticking out of the ground so high in that area. That was another thing the new field addressed.

Turf is awful, but it is cheaper long term and you don't have to paint it every week!

The worst thing I've saw regarding the turf are the little pellets that are made of fine ground up tires that are so small that look like a flea but stick to your arms when your sweaty. When a kid rubs his eye's with that on their hands it will be sensitive and take water to clean it off. The good side of it is when you hit that field hard it's not going to hurt as bad as hitting the ground.

I am not a turf fan either.....something missing in the game without dirt and grass stains, and the smell of the grass......but, it does look awesome, and I can understand that in the long run it is cheaper.   I guess it is just one of those changes called "advancement" that we better get used to.  Just glad that it wasn't around during my playing days.

I prefer a grass field as well. When the field turns yellow you know it's the playoffs, and that's just a special thing for me to see.

However, one great thing about turf is the flexibility for practice. Teams do not need a separate practice field anymore nor do they have to worry about messing up their game field due to overuse. Plus, if the weather has been bad and a grass field would be muddy and present an injury risk, teams can continue to practice on turf anytime (as long as no lightning is present, of course).