A/AA State Tournament

DIIA

The ref in the Signal vs CAK game came over to the Signal fans after the clock malfunction and said he'd keep it on the field and add 2 1/2 minutes.  Either they added the time to the clock somewhere in the 2nd half, or he just forgot as he sounded his whistle to end the game as soon as the clock ran out.  The empty net strategy almost payed off because CAK didn't understand that not being offsides requires 2 players between you and goal before the ball is passed.  We got a few good looks late, but CAK dominated possession for most of the game.  They won the game fairly.  17-1-2 isn't a bad season and now we can get back to IB exams.

Was a tough 1st round draw for Signal, but heck, you have to beat the best team at some point. A refreshing point, I asked my freshman who played most of the game for an injured senior on the ride back what he thought about the game.  He said, "I played as hard and as smart as I could.  #11 was on my side and sometimes he won, and sometimes I did.  I hate for our seniors to lose!  But I thought we played decent and we left nothing on the field."  

He also said the game wasn't mouthy and that the players were good sports on both sides afterwards.  That's refreshing isn't it.  

I will also say the ref in signal game did a poor job in the game, never knew what, if any, would be called and let them play too much. after CAK scored 2nd goal they should have stopped the clock, because there was some sort of delay for about a minute or 2, and ref said he would keep time, but he ended it when scoreboard did even though there should have been another minute or so.

I thought Signal would equalize too but number 10 for Signal had a really time getting past the outside defender for CAK.  I've seen him play before and he can usually beat the defender and turn the corner and get into the box but last night he pretty much got shut down.  I agree with Knightsfan about the ref.  The ref in the Hume Fogg game called it very close but he was very consistant and the one in the Signal game was the exact opposite and CAK pushed the limit, and most of the time it wasn't called.

He also said the game wasn't mouthy and that the players were good sports on both sides afterwards.  That's refreshing isn't it.  

I’m sorry I can’t let that go….If it “refreshing†(i.e., rare) for the Signal Mountain players to experience sportsmanlike behavior after the game, it is probably because it is such common practice for your student fans to harass and mock the opposing players during the game.  After putting up with that crap for a while, most teams are probably not in the mood to show your team a whole lot of sportsmanship.  Unfortunately, soccer is not the only sport where your “spirited†or "enthusiastic" student fans suck sportsmanship out of the game.

I’m sorry I can’t let that go….If it “refreshing†(i.e., rare) for the Signal Mountain players to experience sportsmanlike behavior after the game, it is probably because it is such common practice for your student fans to harass and mock the opposing players during the game.  After putting up with that crap for a while, most teams are probably not in the mood to show your team a whole lot of sportsmanship.  Unfortunately, soccer is not the only sport where your “spirited†or "enthusiastic" student fans suck sportsmanship out of the game.

Very well said.  I don't know anything about Signal Mountain, but I have witnessed this type of behavior so many times, at soccer games.  It is so embarrassing, and unbelievable that there is not more done to prevent the way "student sections" act toward opposing teams.  Some of the things that are said are really bad.  Like really bad.  And apparently they are free to act like this.

Something the little darlings at your Catholic school would never do.  Give me a break.  :rolleyes:

Something the little darlings at your Catholic school would never do.  Give me a break.  :rolleyes:

They must be from the squatchie county side of the mountain.  There's no way a spoiled little rich brat from the Hamilton county side of the mountain would run their mouth. 

Hey troll, are the boys able to get some good tee times at the country club since their season is over?