New players at CPA

Hater247

I will give coachrus an A for effort, it is actually one of the more intelligent posts he has done on this topic in quite some time.  It had potential, but.... Course the way he threads his words and blends scenarios and past posts together actually takes it out of context and thus is not truthful.  Got to love when people try to convince others what I have said without using even one direct quote or post from me.  And if history is any indicator, the response will be something to the effect, "you know what you said."  Welcome to the world of coachrus. 

I wish my experience could say he is an isolated example of representation of the community.  Sadly, he is an example of an element the wields power and influence and has blurred the lines between faith in Christ, good works and pushing forth an agenda when it serves the purpose that any action or behavior can and will be justified or excused.  And now those of you who may have wondered know why things can happen there that seem so contrary to the professed value and belief system of the school. 

If you really cared about the community and the kids, coachrus, you would stop posting because all you are really doing is revealing elements no one there wants exposed and making sure things only stay within the community clearly seems to fit within your definition of ethical behavior.  And once again, you would be hard pressed finding Scriptural support for that approach, but hey, who needs Scripture when we have Teddy Roosevelt, state and coachrus's profession's ethics?

I'm just curious. I know there are some hard feelings that seem to go back and fourth between several of you and Brooks. I don't really want to hear from the Coach but all of you CPA supporters that have a chip on your shoulder, why was he replaced? Was there something more than they wanted to give Maddux the job?

Brooks verbally berated and abused his coaching staff and players during more than one occurence while at CPA.  He lost the confidence of his team and employer and was fired. 

As for Maddux, I'm personally no fan of his although he is a very good coach, has the respect of his players, develops his players and wins games.  Is it any wonder that parents and players from far away want to play for him?  If your son or daughter had the talent to be developed by  a highly sucessful and respected coach, wouldn't you want that opportunity for them?

That's it really and it's nothing new going on.  Parents want the best for their kids and if they have a chance to succeed by going to a private school to a coach with a proven track record of getting players scholarships, wouldn't you do all you could do to make that happen?  Sure you would.

Now, Brooks will reply to this and say that parents moving their kids to CPA or any other school because they have a chance to be better players and college players some day is nonsense.  But he has to say that.  If he agreed with it, he would also be agreeing with the fact that Maddux is a far better coach than him.  And that's the only reason he's here in the first place.  He just can't get over the fact that he got wacked because he wasn't good enough.

Brooks verbally berated and abused his coaching staff and players during more than one occurence while at CPA.  He lost the confidence of his team and employer and was fired...

Like I said Hater247 you will not get an honest, accurate or intelligent comment on the subject.  This statement from ICM is no where near the truth.  In fact, the first time I ever heard this was when I read it today.  This just keeps getting better and better... 

Coachrus are you a coach or a wannabe? I think rule follower is right. How many CPA moms really get on here and then lament about these message boards?

Ice cream man what kind of Popsicles are you selling? Maddux does a great job developing players? That statement says to me he takes the young players that are there and makes them better. He's done a great job with the mop up boys! He did a great job of developing Mason after he left the school for a year. Where would Brooks last team have been with Mason and where would Madduxs first team have been without him?

Would Bradshaw have signed with Belmont if he stayed at Greenbrier? Yep! Bradshaw was a good player already. Probably got the idea somewhere that CPA would vault him to the SEC.

Allsmiller could have played at Brentwood for a much better coach and still signed at Georgia state but his dad couldn't set on the bench.

Don't want to mention bonds. Don't want to rattle dad1's cage and wake him up.

Lindsey....... He was already being recruited by providence so why should he leave such a great developer of players? Maybe the director of admissions hurt the families feelings with not wanting basketball players to play baseball. Word is the little brother is a stud baseballer!

If you're the number one 8th grader in the country, somebody must have already been developing you!

Blackwell, funny he would leave the most prestigious private school in the state and jump ship to CPA just in time to join the dynasty. Wait, you're right, he was terrible when he got there. NOT!

Rulefollower you have some really interesting posts! You may be doing some insider trading!

Didn't brooks take a team to the state semis? Who were the big DI players on that team? I sure don't know!

Brooks, stop posting! EVERYONE knows your side, point of view, perspective............

Nothing you say or do will make a difference to people on this website.

If no one there (CPA) now wants to speak up it doesn't matter! Nothing will change until the wrong kid fails to take developing and falls under the bench.

My apologies to all the teary-eyed CPA moms! Your sons are great players and I'm sure great young men!

This ought to be a rap on this topic!

Coachrus are you a coach or a wannabe? I think rule follower is right. How many CPA moms really get on here and then lament about these message boards?

Ice cream man what kind of Popsicles are you selling? Maddux does a great job developing players? That statement says to me he takes the young players that are there and makes them better. He's done a great job with the mop up boys! He did a great job of developing Mason after he left the school for a year. Where would Brooks last team have been with Mason and where would Madduxs first team have been without him?

Would Bradshaw have signed with Belmont if he stayed at Greenbrier? Yep! Bradshaw was a good player already. Probably got the idea somewhere that CPA would vault him to the SEC.

Allsmiller could have played at Brentwood for a much better coach and still signed at Georgia state but his dad couldn't set on the bench.

Don't want to mention bonds. Don't want to rattle dad1's cage and wake him up.

Lindsey....... He was already being recruited by providence so why should he leave such a great developer of players? Maybe the director of admissions hurt the families feelings with not wanting basketball players to play baseball. Word is the little brother is a stud baseballer!

If you're the number one 8th grader in the country, somebody must have already been developing you!

Blackwell, funny he would leave the most prestigious private school in the state and jump ship to CPA just in time to join the dynasty. Wait, you're right, he was terrible when he got there. NOT!

Rulefollower you have some really interesting posts! You may be doing some insider trading!

Didn't brooks take a team to the state semis? Who were the big DI players on that team? I sure don't know!

Brooks, stop posting! EVERYONE knows your side, point of view, perspective............

If no one there (CPA) now wants to speak up it doesn't matter! Nothing will change until the wrong kid fails to take developing and falls under the bench.

My apologies to all the teary-eyed CPA moms! Your sons are great players and I'm sure great young men!

This ought to be a rap on this topic!

You don't have a clue what it means to develop someone from the time they are 12 years old to when they graduate HS.  How long did you play basketball and for which college?  Nonetheless, it's you perogative to get on here and gripe and I support your right to do so.

But it's these "grown men" who get on here and whine and cry because life didn't turn out like they wanted.  All these years of gripping and bitching and what has it gotten Brooks and Rulefollower (the Church elder)??  A segment on 60 minutes?  A special story on Outside the Lines on ESPN?  A Kennedy Center honor?  Anything?  Nope.  There's a reason why Brooks hasn't had a coaching job in a decade.  He got canned at CPA because of whatever reason and he's not man enough to accept it and move on.  It's that easy.

...There's a reason why Brooks hasn't had a coaching job in a decade.  He got canned at CPA because of whatever reason and he's not man enough to accept it and move on.  It's that easy.

There is a reason, but not the one you are implying.  And it's never that easy, grown men would understand that, course I certainly can't put you in that category.  You are part of the element I describe, willing to do or say anything when it it convenient to push forth your agenda, doesn't matter to you whether what you say is true or not.  Doesn't matter if it violates or compromises a stated belief or value system, you will find a way to justify it.  Hide behind the scenes, hide behind a screen name, never grown up enough or man enough to confront face to face.  I say it is time to get over your arrogant self because you really do not know what you are talking about.  

And since you are the one who brought it up (and no matter what you and the rest say or think, not the reason I post on this subject), I guarantee you, coachrus and the rest of those like you had happen to you what happened to me, you would feel differently.  You may handle it differently, but you would feel the same, you would know it was wrong.  No one is ever required to sit idly by when unjust acts are committed.  Look at Paul, when he was let out of prison, did he go quietly?  Of course not, he exercised his rights as a citizen.  I have done nothing more. But there I go again, using Scripture to support a position, I am funny that way.

BTW, you use the same old unsubstantiated argument that "what parent wouldn't want to come play for a coach, winning program, increase chance at college scholarship, etc., etc., blah, blah, blah to justify what has happened within CPA boys basketball.  The fact is though they may want to it rarely happens.  Why?  Because they are unwilling to make the sacrifice and uproot family for those reasons alone, it is normally going to take something more.  This is why you can't point to other successful programs and coaches where it consistently happens.  And yes, I did play high school basketball and college basketball coached at both levels, 23 years in fact.  How I made it that long by constantly abusing and berating players and assistants, I will never know... Funny, how I ran into a former player's mom just this week, started for both me and Coach Maddux and she made it a point, out of the blue, to let me know of all his coaches, I was his favorite to play for...I guess you don't know everything. 

...Brooks, stop posting! EVERYONE knows your side, point of view, perspective............

Just like we know your side, point of view and perspective (and I will say you demonstrate some knowledge).  Could care less if it makes a difference or not, not a prerequisite to post on a public forum.  If you don't want me to post, don't start threads I have an interest in. 

This thread is very entertaining! However, reading Christians go back and forth over a sport, the way y'all gripe, attack, and downgrade each other...no wonder many non-Christians stay away from church! I love sports more than anyone but it's not or does it consume my whole life. Can we move on and talk about something else? If you don't like the way CPA runs their program, don't talk about it or go to games. Or, maybe you can institute some of their practices in your program! Maybe we'll just agree to disagree on this topic but some just need to chill! There's more to life than CPA boys basketball.

We know that coach Brooks has violated of the Tennessee Teacher Code of Ethics and we know that TSSAA employees believe that coach Brooks conduct has been unprofessional. However, while there is not a Tennessee Coaches Code of Ethics, other states have indeed adopted such codes. Texas is one of them. Let's review what the Texas Coaches Code of Ethics say from http://thsca.pointstreaksites.com/files/uploaded_documents/386/THSCACodeofEthics.pdf:

* In selecting the coaching profession, coaches must be dedicated to rendering service to humanity.  In selecting the coaching profession, the individual assumes an obligation to conduct himself in accordance with its ideals. These ideals should be set forth in a Code of Ethics. Any coach who is unwilling or unable to comply with the principles emphasized in the Code should have no place in the coaching profession

* Because of the unique place which the coach holds in the educational organization, it is highly important that he/she support the administration in all its policies, rules and regulations, which may be from time to time enacted. Differences of opinion should be discussed behind closed doors and not aired through the public media.

* The coach must remember that he/she is a living example for all boys and girls in the school's community. Therefore, it is important to the coach and to the coaching profession that actions and behavior always bring credit to the profession and to the coach. 

* On and off the record, criticism of players or the public shall be considered unethical

* While talking to the media (coaches), should refrain from making any derogatory, disparaging or critical remarks, statements or observations about a fellow coach

* It should be questionable practice for coaches to stress players injuries, disciplinary measures, academic difficulties or eligibility problems to the press, radio and television. Disciplinary problems should be a "family affair" solved between the coach and players involved. Eligibility is a matter for the principal. Injuries are essentially for the team physician or family doctor. No good purpose can be served by emphasizing these matters. 

The Tennessee Teacher Code of Ethics state that they are the HIGHEST of any that exist. Should Tennessee Coaches have ethics that are lower than the Texas Code of Ethics? Do ethics cease to apply to a coach who leaves a school? Is a coach free to publicly embarrass and disparage middle school and high school kids just because he has a personal vendetta? Even if the information is true (which it usually is not) does that excuse the violation of the Ethical Code? 

It is entertaining and the merry-go-round continues.  Let's get ready for the 9th round.  I post for 4 reasons:

1.  I have a strong belief system and opinion related to how a Christian athletic program should and should not operate.

2  From an athletic/competitive standpoint, never have and never will be impressed with anyone who creates all the advantages and wins games and championships.

3.  Related to my basketball experience both as a player and coach.

4.  When needed, set the record straight.

Like it or hate it, agree or disagree, does not matter, it is a public forum.  Anyone who refuses to believe my comments are related to those 4 reasons is the blind one and anyone who falsely judges my motives will most likely get a response (see #4) because my past history has nothing to do with my motive for posting.  I have never made a false statement on any of these threads over the years and anyone who can produce one, that would be one reason I would stop posting immediately.  Why, because the truth is important to me and I would be willing to hold myself accountable.  Too bad some others don't have that same standard.

1  Do ethics cease to apply to a coach who leaves a school?

2. Even if the information is true (which it usually is not) does that excuse the violation of the Ethical Code? 

1  True ethics should never cease to apply, but obviously as a poster who hides behind a screen name, certain true ethics must not apply for you in these situations.

2  Anytime you can produce an actual statement of mine that is not true, I will stop posting.  Come on coachrus, you keep saying it and you have had 8 years to produce just one, one would think it wouldn't be that hard if you are actually speaking the truth.