2014 Class 4A Coaches Poll

AllRegion

I can say this about Catholic they play the hand they're dealt. Any one with athletic commons sense realizes that you get a cycle of athletes and you're down. If Catholic was recruiting the coordinator should be fired because from 2009-2012 our football team was average at best. Our basketball team was 9-20 last year, (14-14 in 2013, 16-14 in 2012) does that sound like a recruited team? But year after year I see kids zoned for other schools helping Fulton win titles. Speaking of which, until someone beats them they are the team to beat. Catholic, Sullivan South, Greeneville, Elizabethton, etc etc are just chasing them. Until they lose it's all talk but I'm positive the Fulton faithful will make sure they're heard. They will have the excuses handy too when someone finally does beat them.

who  are they Q ??? and give me example of when excuses were given when getting beat ... you might have had a fan or 2 on some board try to make excuses .. but never will you hear a coach .. Fulton has accomplished quite a feat with 5 gold and 2 sliver balls  in 12 years ... I would only like for the privates and open zone tuition schools to at least admit that have an advantage . I dont blame them for taking advantage of rules .. if I was a fan of Alcoa or Catholic I would welcome any kid from Blount or KNox or Loudon Co who was a  good player ..rule allows that and still play in public playoffs .. the fact is all the public schools are playing to a disadvantage and the private and open zone schools just wont admit it ...  

who are they Q ??? and give me example of when excuses were given when getting beat ... you might have had a fan or 2 on some board try to make excuses .. but never will you hear a coach .. Fulton has accomplished quite a feat with 5 gold and 2 sliver balls in 12 years ... I would only like for the privates and open zone tuition schools to at least admit that have an advantage . I dont blame them for taking advantage of rules .. if I was a fan of Alcoa or Catholic I would welcome any kid from Blount or KNox or Loudon Co who was a good player ..rule allows that and still play in public playoffs .. the fact is all the public schools are playing to a disadvantage and the private and open zone schools just wont admit it ...

I never said they didn't have an advantage. If that's the case you could say that about every school. Heck your AD/head coach is on the TSSAA board of control that's the biggest advantage any one could have. Talk about double standards. But for people to get on here (and yes you've done it too) and accuse schools of cheating, to me is ridiculous. Especially those Fans who know nothing about Knoxville yet been there. I've said all along that Fulton has a great program. As much as I cheer for the Irish and want them to win I've mentioned (numerous times) that the Falcons are the team to beat. And for excuses how about some of these: the catholic game was out worse played of they year, or the silliest one was they practiced at UT inside before the game (they practiced outside in the freezing cold and on Thanksgiving day to get use to the cold) I was at the game, Catholic gave up three touchdowns because of mental break downs. One could argue that Catholic didn't play their best on offense either with the interceptions, and guys running the wrong routes, players falling down, missed tackles on 4th downs that led to TD's etc etc. Sounds like excuses. Then the back and forth with Alcoa. I grew up where if you lost, you lost no should have would have could haves. I try to give credit where credit is due but people (not you Tadvol) get on here and blast people who support their teams. Privates do have an advantage, they have people at those schools with money who wants the best for their kids. The school can't say "hey only so and so's kid can use this" all benefit. Until the TSSAA splits the privates then they're in D-I. The Coach T soap operas blame the schools. Blame the TSSAA, they gave privates the option and each school took advantage of those options provided. But apparently those few privates are preventing all these schools from winning titles. It gets old man, sorry for the long response. Edited by QSouth89

How about this for advantages/recruiting, the Catholic game with Fulton sparked some high interest in Catholic football. Their were 60 plus kids (transfers and 8th graders) with their parents showing up at Catholic wanting to play football. When these parents found out there were no scholarships available they took their kid elsewhere. 60 kids. That's a lot to turn away if you're recruiting.

How about this for advantages/recruiting, the Catholic game with Fulton sparked some high interest in Catholic football. Their were 60 plus kids (transfers and 8th graders) with their parents showing up at Catholic wanting to play football. When these parents found out there were no scholarships available they took their kid elsewhere. 60 kids. That's a lot to turn away if you're recruiting.

Thats alot to turn away .. sure families love the education at private schools too .. but being realistic if there 2 or 3 really special players in that group im sure some more conversations would have taken place .. the public / private issue is more relevant and publicized in Middle Tn .. alot of unhappy publics down there .. im sure there were families coming to Catholic interested in kids playing football .. but I know of at least 2 that were approached by Catholic . So if Catholic was playing Public or Private that would stay the same .. they will continue to search out the best talent and gauge interest .. which dont blame them .. but schools that loose kids that are zoned for them to say a Catholic or CAK or Grace shouldnt have to compete with them when the private just plucked their best player. I guess TSSAA dont want the privates to form their own  organization and loose a bunch of money. But have to say I enjoyed watching some of the Fulton vs Catholic games in past .. watching Harrison Smith and Dennis Rogan battle  .. and 2 years in a row they each knocked each other out of playoffs when both teams could have went on and won State Championships .. Catholic did it to us in 2005 I think and we did to them in 2006.        

Thats alot to turn away .. sure families love the education at private schools too .. but being realistic if there 2 or 3 really special players in that group im sure some more conversations would have taken place .. the public / private issue is more relevant and publicized in Middle Tn .. alot of unhappy publics down there .. im sure there were families coming to Catholic interested in kids playing football .. but I know of at least 2 that were approached by Catholic . So if Catholic was playing Public or Private that would stay the same .. they will continue to search out the best talent and gauge interest .. which dont blame them .. but schools that loose kids that are zoned for them to say a Catholic or CAK or Grace shouldnt have to compete with them when the private just plucked their best player. I guess TSSAA dont want the privates to form their own  organization and loose a bunch of money. But have to say I enjoyed watching some of the Fulton vs Catholic games in past .. watching Harrison Smith and Dennis Rogan battle  .. and 2 years in a row they each knocked each other out of playoffs when both teams could have went on and won State Championships .. Catholic did it to us in 2005 I think and we did to them in 2006.        

That could be said about all schools, public, private or opened zoned looking for talent. Those games with the Smith and Rogan teams were some CLASSIC battles.  Great teams going at it and they respected each other as well.  As far as I can tell there will be a split.  I know some schools are wanting to form their own association but in the end is really good for high school sports?  It does sound like forming their own association is a way of trying to get back at the other schools and the TSSAA.  I like someone's idea about letting them play together (privates and public's) then splitting them up for the playoffs.  Their could be 5 classes with at least 8 teams per district. That would satisfy the need to make bigger districts, while generating great games (the crowds at Catholic and Fulton back in 2006, 2007, 2008 were mind-blowing) and then from a competitive stand point allow the public's and privates to play in separate post season tournaments. The TSSAA would benefit because in football you'd have 8 championship games 1A through 5A in D-1  and 1A through 3A in football.  Then have 6 state championships in everything else.  Sounds like it makes too much sense.

That could be said about all schools, public, private or opened zoned looking for talent. Those games with the Smith and Rogan teams were some CLASSIC battles.  Great teams going at it and they respected each other as well.  As far as I can tell there will be a split.  I know some schools are wanting to form their own association but in the end is really good for high school sports?  It does sound like forming their own association is a way of trying to get back at the other schools and the TSSAA.  I like someone's idea about letting them play together (privates and public's) then splitting them up for the playoffs.  Their could be 5 classes with at least 8 teams per district. That would satisfy the need to make bigger districts, while generating great games (the crowds at Catholic and Fulton back in 2006, 2007, 2008 were mind-blowing) and then from a competitive stand point allow the public's and privates to play in separate post season tournaments. The TSSAA would benefit because in football you'd have 8 championship games 1A through 5A in D-1  and 1A through 3A in football.  Then have 6 state championships in everything else.  Sounds like it makes too much sense.

Q .. I think that makes most sense ... I think the Middle TN teams that are upset would be able to accept that if they thought they would be playing public schools in  playoffs .. and the travel would be minimal if the publics and privates played during regular season .. the travel would start for privates come playoff time ...