2014 Class 4A Coaches Poll

AllRegion

Exactly ..... but financial aid is given thru the Church see MountaonTroll post

it happens, and people get jobs to relocate so kids can play for schools. You will never have a true level playing field. Only way to get close is full split public and private like most states. Go back to 4 public classes so its not as watered down.Keep the 1.8 multiplier for open zoned schools pulling kids from out of county. I would also do the 50 mile rule on transfers or sit a year. If I kid wants to leave and play for another school fine, but do it from jr to hs. Don't let a team count on you going into your jr or sr season, then daddy get a apt 10 miles down the round and bam, your playing for a district rival. UT wouldn't release Jalen Heard to go play another rival in the SEC.

If they don't give schoolarships, if prefectly ok for them to recruit students and play public schools under TSSAA current rules. That doesn't mean they don't recruit. It just means if they lose a lot off the OL and don't have quality backups, the can conveince(recruit) a few familys with 6'5 280 pounds kids of the bennifits of their "educational" program despite what public zone they are in. Plenty of big boys in Oak Ridge,Knoxville and Loudon for them to go after. Austin East and Fulton can't do that.

I beg to differ. I think you might find several players on both Fulton and AE rosters that aren't actually zoned for that school. Kids from anywhere in Knox County can choose to attend those schools.

Mountain Troll I can't speak for Notre Dame (the team you seem to dispise) but if a kid at Catholic receives church assistance they are not allowed to play varsity sports. That's the schools choice because it could be deemed as receiving a scholarship. They are allowed to play JV. And you guys talking about not recruiting by public schools...please. They're are numerous athletes at Fulton, AE and the such zoned for others schools but when you guys get athletes it's because of tradition when Catholic and Alcoa get kids it's because they cheat. Give me a break. When my son played youth football schools were after him, pulling him out of class and talking to him to at his middle school without talking to his mom or me. I chose Catholic because we are catholic and the academics speak for themselves. This isn't in good nature it's whining. I hope they do force a split. From what I've been told the privates will form their own association and then the publics will really cry when recruiting becomes rampant and you can't do ANYTHING to stop it but whine. Alcoa you guys have my respect because kids truly go there to be apart of a real winner. Good luck this season except when you come to Cedar Bluff in October.

Edited by QSouth89

Mountain Troll I can't speak for Notre Dame (the team you seem to dispise) but if a kid at Catholic receives church assistance they are not allowed to play varsity sports. That's the schools choice because it could be deemed as receiving a scholarship. They are allowed to play JV. And you guys talking about not recruiting by public schools...please. They're are numerous athletes at Fulton, AE and the such zoned for others schools but when you guys get athletes it's because of tradition when Catholic and Alcoa get kids it's because they cheat. Give me a break. When my son played youth football schools were after him, pulling him out of class and talking to him to at his middle school without talking to his mom or me. I chose Catholic because we are catholic and the academics speak for themselves. This isn't in good nature it's whining. I hope they do force a split. From what I've been told the privates will form their own association and then the publics will really cry when recruiting becomes rampant and you can't do ANYTHING to stop it but whine. Alcoa you guys have my respect because kids truly go there to be apart of a real winner. Good luck this season except when you come to Cedar Bluff in October.

Does that apply to the "Standard Parish Tuition Subsidy" or just to the "Need-based Financial Aide"?

You seem like an honest guy, and I think you are sincere; but, it is hard for me to believe that no varsity athlete at a Catholic high school is receiving tuition assistance from the church.

The TSSAA By-Laws state,

"Article II, Section 16. If tuition is charged, it must be paid by parent, bona fide guardian or other family member.

3. Any loan program, grant program, educational foundation or similar program that is established and/or

administered, in whole or in part, by a school or official of a school is considered financial aid.

All records pertaining to financial aid or tuition assistance shall be open to TSSAA upon its request. Each school

shall be responsible for securing necessary authorization to allow TSSAA to review or audit such records."

Notre Dame's non-compliance with these rules has been brought to the attention of the T$$AA, but they refuse to audit the financial accounts of the varsity athletes.  I think that Childress boy (who I don't like so much, by the way) is afraid of a legal battle with the Catholic church.

I have nothing against private schools.  I just think that if a church or any other organization is providing tuition assistance to a school's students, the school should be playing in Division II.

Sorry we have gotten off topic here.  I believe Knox Catholic is the team to beat in 4a this year.  Y'all have great facilities, good coaches, great athletes, and supportive families.  I just think you are in the wrong Division.  I hope Sissy Mountain gets a re-match with y'all this year come playoff time.  Last year's loss still stings.  redthumb.gif

Edited by MountainTroll

Does that apply to the "Standard Parish Tuition Subsidy" or just to the "Need-based Financial Aide"

You seem like an honest guy, and I think you are sincere; but, it is hard for me to believe that no varsity athlete at a Catholic high school is receiving tuition assistance from the church.

The TSSAA By-Laws state,

"Article II, Section 16. If tuition is charged, it must be paid by parent, bona fide guardian or other family member.

3. Any loan program, grant program, educational foundation or similar program that is established and/or

administered, in whole or in part, by a school or official of a school is considered financial aid.

All records pertaining to financial aid or tuition assistance shall be open to TSSAA upon its request. Each school

shall be responsible for securing necessary authorization to allow TSSAA to review or audit such records."

Notre Dame's non-compliance with these rules has been brought to the attention of the T$$AA, but they refuse to audit the financial accounts of the varsity athletes. I think that Childress boy (who I don't like so much, by the way) is afraid of a legal battle with the Catholic church.

I have nothing against private schools. I just think that if a church or any other organization is providing tuition assistance to a school's students, the school should be playing in Division II.

Sorry we have gotten off topic here. I believe Knox Catholic is the team to beat in 4a this year. Y'all have great facilities, good coaches, great athletes, and supportive families. I just think you are in the wrong Division. I hope Sissy Mountain gets a re-match with y'all this year come playoff time. Last year's loss still stings. redthumb.gif

Like I said before, I don't know what Notre Dame does but here in Knoxville you have to show need base. I am Catholic, my son started varsity football and basketball as a freshman and we get nothing. You have to be Catholic to receive consideration so the non catholic athletes are left out to dry. And to be honest these parents of the actual catholic baptized kids have very deep pockets. The way Catholic Charities is set up today you would have to be way below the poverty line to get aid and it's only a 1,000 dollars at that. Our Mr. Sompayrac won't allow athletes receiving assistance to play varsity. So many leave. There are plenty of Sacred Heart kids at West and Bearden or St. Joseph kids at Central because of that. With all that's going on in communities I have a hard time believing that churches are funding athletes in high school when they can barely pay their mortgages or feed the people in their parishes. Come on now people. I honestly believe if recruiting was going on, parents would tell, to some of those parents it's truly about their kid. Not the team. Some one would tell because their kid wasn't playing. It's all about status Edited by QSouth89

I can say this about Catholic they play the hand they're dealt. Any one with athletic commons sense realizes that you get a cycle of athletes and you're down. If Catholic was recruiting the coordinator should be fired because from 2009-2012 our football team was average at best. Our basketball team was 9-20 last year, (14-14 in 2013, 16-14 in 2012) does that sound like a recruited team? But year after year I see kids zoned for other schools helping Fulton win titles. Speaking of which, until someone beats them they are the team to beat. Catholic, Sullivan South, Greeneville, Elizabethton, etc etc are just chasing them. Until they lose it's all talk but I'm positive the Fulton faithful will make sure they're heard. They will have the excuses handy too when someone finally does beat them.

Edited by QSouth89

Like I said before, I don't know what Notre Dame does but here in Knoxville you have to show need base. I am Catholic, my son started varsity football and basketball as a freshman and we get nothing. You have to be Catholic to receive consideration so the non catholic athletes are left out to dry. And to be honest these parents of the actual catholic baptized kids have very deep pockets. The way Catholic Charities is set up today you would have to be way below the poverty line to get aid and it's only a 1,000 dollars at that. Our Mr. Sompayrac won't allow athletes receiving assistance to play varsity. So many leave. There are plenty of Sacred Heart kids at West and Bearden or St. Joseph kids at Central because of that. With all that's going on in communities I have a hard time believing that churches are funding athletes in high school when they can barely pay their mortgages or feed the people in their parishes. Come on now people. I honestly believe if recruiting was going on, parents would tell, to some of those parents it's truly about their kid. Not the team. Some one would tell because their kid wasn't playing. It's all about status

If Dickie is doing it all above board, I hope Howie don't corrupt him.  ;)