Best QB's in Tennessee you have ever seen?

SweetScience

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Connor York Upperman. Took a traditional below 500 team to semi finals in 2013 and set the state record with 72 tds in 14 games. 37 rushing,34 passing 2535 passing 2673 rushing. Had 711 yards and 9 td's verse Tyner in 2nd round of the playoffs to set a single game national record. Has the career td state record of 126. Missed 6 games his Jr season or that total would have been higher.

Edited by UpperCumberlandMan

In no particular order...Randall Cobb, TC Payne from Trousdale co...Cade Thompson, stockstill, Austin Henrik, Bo Wallace, Barry Brunetti, Charlie high, Brock McCoin.

seen TC Payne,Bo Wallace and Brock McCoin. By far at the HS level, Payne the hardest to defend of the three. Side note, McCoin show in front of Charlie High on depth chart at TTU. Edited by UpperCumberlandMan

We all know Cobb went to UK... Bo Wallace went to Ole Miss and kept Barry Brunetti on back up status... But some of these other cats I have the slightest Idea about and would truly like to know what makes someone great to you folks from the other parts of the state. To me SIGNING is a prerequisite but may not have to be for you. 

A great QB is one who could spin it and had some running ability... There have been some great ones in the Shelby Metro area that could do this... The best QBs I've seen with my own eyes are the following in no particular order:

Ced Wilson, Melrose: He signed with UT. He was the man that led Melrose to a state title back in the 90s ('96). He was a one man show. Had a solid NFL career. I think he won titles at every level HS, College (UT '99) and Pro (Steelers '05).

Maurice Harris, Whitehaven: He signed with Arkansas State. Currently on the Ole Miss staff. My former coach at Whitehaven. I didn't get to see his games as a child but I did see his game film. That man had a cannon and was super fast. He was recruited by Tom Osborne at Nebraska at one point.

Jason Harris, Whitehaven: He signed with U of Memphis. He still holds the record for most TD passes in one game in the Shelby Metro area I believe. He threw 7 against Memphis Southside. I saw his film and I may have got a chance to see a few of his highlights when I was in Elementary. 

Will Gross, Melrose: He signed with U of Memphis but I don't know if he ever got there. That young man had one of the Prettiest throwing motion I've seen on a HS kid. Not sure where he is now but I hope he makes it to the level of being a productive citizen.

Barry Brunetti, MUS: He signed with West Virginia, saw Geno Smith and transferred to Ole Miss lol. If MUS had let him be the starting QB for all 3 years he was at MUS I think MUS would have won 3 State titles in a row instead of just two. He was a true Dual Threat. Beautiful Throwing Motion and could Run like nobody's business.

'T-Money' Tamirious Mitchell, Whitehaven: He signed with Austin Peay. I Had the pleasure to coach this gentleman. Could tell he was gonna be a good one for us once I saw him. 

Antonio Heffner, Melrose: He Signed with South Carolina, then Steve Spurrier replaced Lou Holtz and Heffner rightly transferred to TSU (Spurrier was trying to make him an Option QB for some reason). He was a great Dual Threat QB that led Melrose to plenty of wins but couldn't quite get over the hump. I think they lost to Hillsboro in the Semis and/or Maryville in the Title game.

Braxton Conard, Ridgeway: Current QB at Ridgeway. Every time I see any highlights and film on this kid I'm impressed. He may be the best QB in the area right now and the best one since Gross and Brunetti.

HONORABLE MENTION (Guys that I've heard stories about AND they broke records): Kenton Evans, Westwood and Darrell Walker (Sp?), Westwood. 

^^^

Well, in my list Todd Helton signed with UT. Jerry Colquitt signed with UT and was drafted in the 6th round by the Carolina Panthers. Joey Matthews signed with UT, Erick Locke signed with Alabama, and of course Robinette signed with Vandy. Where did the ones you named sign?

I remember Locke was good for us at Bama... Jack of all trades type player.