Best QB's in Tennessee you have ever seen?

SweetScience

I remember watching Cedric Wilson (Melrose) in the playoffs when Gibson Co. came down there for the first round of the playoffs. He was one of the most explosive HS football players that I have seen at that level. I still remember those gold cleats like it was yesterday....

GCPioneer:

That must have been Ced's Jr. year because his Sr. year they had to forfeit 3 games and they entered the post season as a 4 seed. I distinctly remember thinking ... "Man, I sure feel sorry for the 1 seed that's about to get their heads handed to them, at home, in the first round of the playoffs because Melrose has to be a 4 seed!" It was pure carnage.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GCPioneer:

That must have been Ced's Jr. year because his Sr. year they had to forfeit 3 games and they entered the post season as a 4 seed. I distinctly remember thinking ... "Man, I sure feel sorry for the 1 seed that's about to get their heads handed to them, at home, in the first round of the playoffs because Melrose has to be a 4 seed!" It was pure carnage.

It was his Jr. Year... They went 12-1... Lost to Humbolt in the playoffs. I Just looked that up lol. They scored 46 on Gibson

Thank you kwc. I am not going to lie, when we had to play Ridgeway in the playoffs I was a little nervous that he would play much better but we were just poised to get another ring last year. I am excited to see him again this year especially since we have lost a bit from our defense last year.

I agree completely with this comment. 

I would add that it doesn't help the quarterback when the receivers consistently get their breath knocked out trying to catch passes.  I just hope our new defense can get up to speed this year.

GCPioneer:

I like that word "carnage".  I'm going to start looking for opportunities to use it.

It was his Jr. Year... They went 12-1... Lost to Humbolt in the playoffs. I Just looked that up lol. They scored 46 on Gibson

Losing to Humboldt means you ran into a freight train by the name of Kelsey Williams... Melrose was fun to watch. Athletes and speed all over the field... I want to say there were 2 others from Melrose that year that played in the SEC...

Losing to Humboldt means you ran into a freight train by the name of Kelsey Williams... Melrose was fun to watch. Athletes and speed all over the field... I want to say there were 2 others from Melrose that year that played in the SEC...

GC:

Good memory. Cedrick's Sr year saw three players off of that team sign with Tennessee. (Ced, Andre Lott, and a WR who I thinks was named Kevin or Calvin something or other) The following year is when Kendall Morehead signed with Alabama. (That really ticked off ole' Phillip Fulmer, to say the least) I can't remember the name of the OL on that team who signed with Arkansas. The following year is when David Payne came out. He was the number 1 recruit in the nation. Didn't do his course wwork and couldn't enroll into Bama. Those are ones that I can remember!

I have followed football pretty extensively the last 15 years or so and have seen QBs from most all parts of the state, includng West TN but not as much in Memphis although I am familiar w/ a few of those guys.....

The guys I want to mention are those who are good leaders and good passers, not just great athletes or play in offenses where all they do is run, basically a RB taking snaps.....

The 1st guy on my list is Randall Cobb, he could beat you running or throwing the ball, he was a very accurate passer and a strong arm.....

The next guy was Brian Davis of Riverdale in the early 90s and went on to play at MTSU I think, this guy was a beast and won a couple state titles.....

As far as a pure drop back passer goes I would say Jeff Speedy of Brentwood Academy who went on to play at Kentucky.....

Also Chris Snorton of Springfield, the year b/4 they won the 3A title in 93, he had a similar skill set as Cobb and could throw the ball on a rope, tight spiral and accurate. He also was very smooth running the ball, almost like he was gliding whivh earned him the nickname "Snake".....

I know there are some great QBs in the Memphis area over the years, I just never really saw any of them play until college, I am curious about T-Money and if he is getting an opportunity to play QB at APSU.....

Other guys that come to mind are Bo Wallace, Patton Robinette, and Clay Head from Joburns.....

I have followed football pretty extensively the last 15 years or so and have seen QBs from most all parts of the state, includng West TN but not as much in Memphis although I am familiar w/ a few of those guys.....

The guys I want to mention are those who are good leaders and good passers, not just great athletes or play in offenses where all they do is run, basically a RB taking snaps.....

The 1st guy on my list is Randall Cobb, he could beat you running or throwing the ball, he was a very accurate passer and a strong arm.....

The next guy was Brian Davis of Riverdale in the early 90s and went on to play at MTSU I think, this guy was a beast and won a couple state titles.....

As far as a pure drop back passer goes I would say Jeff Speedy of Brentwood Academy who went on to play at Kentucky.....

Also Chris Snorton of Springfield, the year b/4 they won the 3A title in 93, he had a similar skill set as Cobb and could throw the ball on a rope, tight spiral and accurate. He also was very smooth running the ball, almost like he was gliding whivh earned him the nickname "Snake".....

I know there are some great QBs in the Memphis area over the years, I just never really saw any of them play until college, I am curious about T-Money and if he is getting an opportunity to play QB at APSU.....

Other guys that come to mind are Bo Wallace, Patton Robinette, and Clay Head from Joburns.....

Jeff Speedy. Lawd I ain't heard that name in years. Just about as long as the last time I heard Austin Kemp. The biggest bust in BA history.

GC:

Good memory. Cedrick's Sr year saw three players off of that team sign with Tennessee. (Ced, Andre Lott, and a WR who I thinks was named Kevin or Calvin something or other) The following year is when Kendall Morehead signed with Alabama. (That really ticked off ole' Phillip Fulmer, to say the least) I can't remember the name of the OL on that team who signed with Arkansas. The following year is when David Payne came out. He was the number 1 recruit in the nation. Didn't do his course wwork and couldn't enroll into Bama. Those are ones that I can remember!

Antwone Lias signed with UK but he was after those cats, maybe. You can't for get the top 5 draft pick Dewayne Robertson. He was with Moorehead and Payne... That mid 90s run Melrose had some Stud Lineman... I mean they had some guys that went to HBCUs that were just as good as the SEC guys. 

Edited by BlackHavenSenator

As far as I have heard T-Money should be getting some major PT this season at QB. I thought he played some last season.

Edited by BlackHavenSenator