Week 0: Oneida @ Hampton

crow

The coverage was blown on the play.  I ain't throwing any individual under the bus, but because of Long's ability the safety got caught too far up in coverage and he adjusted his route behind him.  With experience, the safety would learn he has to cover the deep route coming to him.  I think in a rematch the Indian Secondary will be well versed in knowing where #1 is and adjusting coverage to compensate for his ability while keeping the integrity of the coverage to account for other wideouts.  The over-under coverage would be effective against such a receiver.  With more threats in the passing game the secondary will just have to be on their toes for the recievers in their area.  Hampton will probably have multiple receivers they can throw to, so I would say we will see mostly zone coverage.  Of course, Mr. Lambert knows this and the boys will just have to get after it.

Kazzy

p.s.  Just my thoughts.....I expect the athletes we have will shore things up in short order.  Nothing beats learning from the mistakes......and ours were ALL correctable.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree it was no fluke but it was a blown assignment. The DB that got beat was looking & drifting outside & when the WR cut in the DB had already gotten out of position & was playing outside in. He still wasn't completely out of the area on the pass but the WR was behind him & it was a perfect pass. I agree, it was no fluke but I bet if Hampton runs the same route on the same DB after a week of "instruction" from TL the DB will play it differently. I'm not saying no one will ever complete another pass on him again but TL makes every effort to not have the same mistakes twice and he's a smart kid. I'm sure their will be plenty of mistakes made, the best you can hope for is to make new mistakes each week & not repeat the same ones.

The coverage was blown on the play.  I ain't throwing any individual under the bus, but because of Long's ability the safety got caught too far up in coverage and he adjusted his route behind him.  With experience, the safety would learn he has to cover the deep route coming to him.  I think in a rematch the Indian Secondary will be well versed in knowing where #1 is and adjusting coverage to compensate for his ability while keeping the integrity of the coverage to account for other wideouts.  The over-under coverage would be effective against such a receiver.  With more threats in the passing game the secondary will just have to be on their toes for the recievers in their area.  Hampton will probably have multiple receivers they can throw to, so I would say we will see mostly zone coverage.  Of course, Mr. Lambert knows this and the boys will just have to get after it.

I bet we make a mistake or 2,just gotta lean from it and go forward. Players and coaches both make mistakes. If everyone was perfect,this game wouldn't be so much fun. I'm sure the Injuns will be fully prepared.

Kazzy

p.s.  Just my thoughts.....I expect the athletes we have will shore things up in short order.  Nothing beats learning from the mistakes......and ours were ALL correctable.

Just thinking about OHS's pass coverage comments I went back and watched the video I posted and I saw some open pass plays that Rockwood missed good oppurtunities on.

The TE #2 didn't get picked up by the LB and was open at [8:20] & at [16:02].

At [9:32] WR #7 had his man beat but the QB made a bad pass, pause at [9:39] he had 3(I'm guessing) yards on the him and the QB threw way over the WR to the outside out of bounds instead of tossing straight or inside because he was on the move trying to throw.

At [10:10] the pass to #32 was covered but he only had one man to beat with inside position to make a possible catch in the endzone if not over thrown and if you look out to the far left side of the field #1 Long was wide open at the inside WR spot. Also at [17:39] Long was open at WR on a short/quick pass(WR screen?) because OHS's LB blitzed and no one picked him up but he dropped it.

Also TE #44 at [27:00] went untouched outside for a good gain but OHS made a good recovery and a mean tackle. They also had some success throwing to the FB who slipped out of the backfield for I believe 2 catches, 1 a decent gain on a screen pass for 10-15 yards.

IDK but imo some passes might have been blown coverage, some were good play calls and a couple of plays they beat OHS's DBs but the QB missed them.

I'm not saying OHS's pass defense was awful because they got to the QB, broke up passes, was quick to ball but there is definitely room for improvement, imho. I guess we'll see Friday, either way though I expect a close game.

Good luck to both teams, I wish I could make it to the game! I have a relative who plays for OHS.

Edited by TheOgre78

Excuse me.....pushed wrong button.   ALWAYS someone open until the DB or LB has a chance to close on the route.  The role of the defense is to close that distance while the ball is in the air and minimize the yards IF the catch is made.  Deep players must keep offensive receivers underneath them and support the corners if they are in zone.  I have no doubt....having seen film from time to time.....that there are spots where receivers are open, but that "window" is often smaller than you think.  We have a relatively experienced secondary and occasionally the younger ones are spell the primary starters. (2 Srs and 2 Jrs....I think)  Watch Scott Co. against Alcoa.....they spread the field well and they will have receivers seperate and get open against them, but I assure you that Alcoa will close on them pretty quickly and the QB won't always find that open guy because he may not be his primary.  Again, I let the knowledgable ones do the coaching, these are just observations from the seats.....Oneida is well coached.  They had their hands team in on the onside kick and we still didn't secure the ball even though the ball was first touched 20 yards down the field.

Kaz

Just thinking about OHS's pass coverage comments I went back and watched the video I posted and I saw some open pass plays that Rockwood missed good oppurtunities on.

The TE #2 didn't get picked up by the LB and was open at [8:20] & at [16:02].

At [9:32] WR #7 had his man beat but the QB made a bad pass, pause at [9:39] he had 3(I'm guessing) yards on the him and the QB threw way over the WR to the outside out of bounds instead of tossing straight or inside because he was on the move trying to throw.

At [10:10] the pass to #32 was covered but he only had one man to beat with inside position to make a possible catch in the endzone if not over thrown and if you look out to the far left side of the field #1 Long was wide open at the inside WR spot. Also at [17:39] Long was open at WR on a short/quick pass(WR screen?) because OHS's LB blitzed and no one picked him up but he dropped it.

Also TE #44 at [27:00] went untouched outside for a good gain but OHS made a good recovery and a mean tackle. They also had some success throwing to the FB who slipped out of the backfield for I believe 2 catches, 1 a decent gain on a screen pass for 10-15 yards.

IDK but imo some passes might have been blown coverage, some were good play calls and a couple of plays they beat OHS's DBs but the QB missed them.

I'm not saying OHS's pass defense was awful because they got to the QB, broke up passes, was quick to ball but there is definitely room for improvement, imho. I guess we'll see Friday, either way though I expect a close game.

Good luck to both teams, I wish I could make it to the game! I have a relative who plays for OHS.

Since you watch so much film and you are so knowledgeable about the secondary ......Did you notice that the majority of the pass plays the defense didn't roll to cover 3 when they got motion they stayed in cover 2 which is not how they are coached I can assure you that... So its not lack of coaching the DB's just don't have Cole West back there this year as your safety "Quarterback" of the DB's in charge

Since you watch so much film and you are so knowledgeable about the secondary ......Did you notice that the majority of the pass plays the defense didn't roll to cover 3 when they got motion they stayed in cover 2 which is not how they are coached I can assure you that... So its not lack of coaching the DB's just don't have Cole West back there this year as your safety "Quarterback" of the DB's in charge

I was just talking and looking at a film that didn't show the whole field. :roll: Sounds like you got bigtime butthurt over nothing. LOL. I never said they weren't coached well. My brother played under Lambert(he's a great coach) at Scott and Huntsville Middle under Diggs. playing free safety & RB and started as a freshmen, what grade their in is not an excuse. It's athlectic ability and "knowlegde" of the position.

the DB's just don't have Cole West back there this year as your safety "Quarterback" of the DB's in charge

I said, they "got to the QB, broke up passes, was quick to ball but there is definitely room for improvement," Cole West is gone, WTH does that have anything to do with this year?! Someone has to step up every season to lead the D.

Edited by TheOgre78