Alcoa @ Maryville

SweetScience

I agree that generally a 3A team has a disadvantage in numbers against a 6A team. However, Alcoa traditionally has more quality athletes than most 6A teams in the state. The Alcoa coach chooses to start players both ways and special teams instead of developing the other 70 kids on the sidelines is my point. I saw several fresh 2nd teamers for Alcoa that were more effective than the tired starters.

I can't argue with you there. I know Catholic dresses 77 kids (because they dress everyone for game day) but play probably play about 25-30 kids on offense, defense, and special teams. Edited by QSouth89

I think if you asked the fans and players of Alcoa they would love to move up in classification. They are simply much better than the 3A teams they have to play. It means a lot of boring games for the fans and lack of a challenge for the players. Imagine Alcoa playing 5a ball they are more likely going to get a better game. I would think they still make deep playoff runs and even win championships. Unfortunately the opposite is about to happen   Alcoa is going to be 2a. seriously who wants to see this.. 

I think if you asked the fans and players of Alcoa they would love to move up in classification. They are simply much better than the 3A teams they have to play. It means a lot of boring games for the fans and lack of a challenge for the players. Imagine Alcoa playing 5a ball they are more likely going to get a better game. I would think they still make deep playoff runs and even win championships. Unfortunately the opposite is about to happen Alcoa is going to be 2a. seriously who wants to see this..

Can't they petition to move up? Edited by rebelwoman87

Is anybody else watching this game on tv? Every penalty on alcoa other than the first one has been terrible! The TV guys have both said on every penalty that it was a bad call. Maryville pushes alcoa db in the back in the endzone and its a no call. Maryville hops a ball to the reciever on 3rd down and its a catch! The tv announcer says, " well remember you are playing AT maryville!" I am by no means saying alcoa should be winning because that is not the case, but good lord...when the tv announcers have said you have missed every call??????

The TV announcers also said that Patton Robinette was Maryville's QB last season

Great win by Maryville last night. Defense was sensational. They were laying the lumber. I think before the year is over Tyler Vaught will be a great QB. He has a lot of ability and you know GQ will coach him up. Jalen Burgess is a bull. That run of his last night will be a run talked about 40 years from now. One of the best I ever seen. Kelby Brock makes it look effortless.

I do get tired of Gary Rankin making excuses about Maryville being 6A and Alcoa being 3A. Gary knew Alcoa was a small school before he got the job. He also knew Alcoa is loaded with athletes. Quit making excuses Gary.

Great win by Maryville last night. Defense was sensational. They were laying the lumber. I think before the year is over Tyler Vaught will be a great QB. He has a lot of ability and you know GQ will coach him up. Jalen Burgess is a bull. That run of his last night will be a run talked about 40 years from now. One of the best I ever seen. Kelby Brock makes it look effortless.

I do get tired of Gary Rankin making excuses about Maryville being 6A and Alcoa being 3A. Gary knew Alcoa was a small school before he got the job. He also knew Alcoa is loaded with athletes. Quit making excuses Gary.

That was a great run RR. I've watched it 3 times now. Up in our section we call him the J-train!

[quote name="REBELRON" post="3190105" timestamp=

Come on RR, Alcoa is like Maryville's little brother. We usually get beat up by you but we still fight anyway. When you beat us you want to beat us bad then you want to laugh and make fun of us and tell us you beat us bad. When we point out the obvious like how much bigger you are or you have an advantage you don't like it. You tell us we are just making excuses and we should just be quiet and take our beating. Honestly, thats just not that fun. I had hoped we could compete better but you guys were just too much for us. Now stop telling us we are making excuses because we don't loose the way you want us to.

Come on RR, Alcoa is like Maryville's little brother. We usually get beat up by you but we still fight anyway. When you beat us you want to beat us bad then you want to laugh and make fun of us and tell us you beat us bad. When we point out the obvious like how much bigger you are or you have an advantage you don't like it. You tell us we are just making excuses and we should just be quiet and take our beating. Honestly, thats just not that fun. I had hoped we could compete better but you guys were just too much for us. Now stop telling us we are making excuses because we don't loose the way you want us to.

Point is Gary knew Alcoa was a 3A school. It is different when fans say it. A coach should just take the high road. When Alcoa clobbered Maryville in 2009 Quarles made no excuses.

Point is Gary knew Alcoa was a 3A school. It is different when fans say it. A coach should just take the high road. When Alcoa clobbered Maryville in 2009 Quarles made no excuses.

They are both good men and both good for our communities. Good luck to Maryville and get another Gold Ball!