Sonny Moore 9/17/14 1A & 2A TOP 10 computer power ranking poll

gtripledip

One more version to muddy the water......... This is 1A from M-A-X-P-R-E-P-S.  Sorry for the hard-to-read layout - can't get the formatting to look any better.

# School Rec. Dist Rec. Rating Str.

1 Union City 4-0 2-0 36.6 -1.2
2 Nashville Christian (Nashville) 4-0 1-0 29.9 -7.7

3 Greenback 4-0 1-0 19.4 -0.1

4 Columbia Academy (Columbia) 3-0 1-0 11.7 -5.2

5 Cloudland (Roan Mountain) 4-0 0-0 10.3 -12.8

6 Wayne County (Waynesboro) 3-1 1-0 7.7 -4.3

7 Coalfield 2-2 1-0 5.8 10.4

8 Hollow Rock-Bruceton Central (Bruceton) 3-1 0-1 2.4 -8

9 Dresden 1-3 0-1 2.1 11.5

10 Midway (Kingston) 3-0 0-0 1.9 -31.9

11 Humboldt 2-1 1-0 1.6 -2.8

12 Copper Basin (Copperhill) 3-1 1-0 1.6 -4.8

13 Jo Byrns (Cedar Hill) 2-1 1-0 -0.5 -15.5

14 Huntland 2-1 1-0 -2.4 -4.7

15 Lake County (Tiptonville) 2-2 1-1 -2.5 -1.3

Edited by NCSdad1962

Yeah not a fair or good way to do it. And actually it really don't gotta be done. Rankings doesn't prove anything and only leads up to a let down IMO. Yes I'm sure some kids feel better and get pumped about their rank and that's not a bad thing but it can also make a team feel as if they are invincible, and that's bad any way you look at it. I'm a Die hard Cloudland fan and yes we do have a somewhat weak schedule but that's out of the players hands. But I really honestly don't see us a top 5 team in 1a. Hope they prove me wrong tho. But then again I havnt seen the likes of GB, Coalfield, or any middle TN or West teams play so I cant judge. I really think we have the grit and heart to be in at least top 10 but that don't always win the game for us. Hats off to the Blue n Gold squad tho, they are playing hard right now. Got to get by tomorrow night with a W first and foremost.

I don't understand how a 1-3 sp team is ahead of a 3-1 WC team that has played two 1a schools a 2a school and their only loss was to a 3a school which WC played missing 4 starters on defense and three on offense and still only lost by four points. If WC had not turned the ball over inside the ten yard line I feel they would have won it. And I'm not bashing sp, they don't do the rankings and are a very respected team.

We should not be that high.. We are not a very good football team but we are good enough to play with any 1A team in the East. This team must develop some confidence or the season will end much quicker than it should.

I don't understand how a 1-3 sp team is ahead of a 3-1 WC team that has played two 1a schools a 2a school and their only loss was to a 3a school which WC played missing 4 starters on defense and three on offense and still only lost by four points. If WC had not turned the ball over inside the ten yard line I feel they would have won it. And I'm not bashing sp, they don't do the rankings and are a very respected team.

Maybe because that 1a team you are griping about lost to a 4a team and 2 3a teams. 

Anyone know how M-a-x does it's ranking?

Anything is better than how A-p does it!

This is from their website, so don't shoot the messenger.

The MP Freeman Rankings

(The Freeman Rankings will determine the teams selected for the MP Tournament of Champions.)

MP National and State Freeman Ratings are the result of our collection of enormous amounts of information from teams throughout the country and the application of a computer model developed by our associate Ned Freeman. The most important thing to understand about how the ratings system works is that it is 100% objective.

The size of the schools, their division, the league they're in, how good the school or league are historically, their geographic location, how well liked the school is, how good the league is in other sports do not matter and therefore, none of these factors are programmed into the system. Those subjective factors inevitably bias humans saddled with the daunting task of trying to figure out who the best teams in the nation, in a state, or a region really are?

Instead, Ned's system just takes into account the facts. Cold, hard, and unfeeling fact - but as accurate, objective and fair as possible.

How It Works! 

(A brief explanation of the factors that affect the MP Rankings system...)

MP uses a computer program to determine team rank. We do not poll coaches, sportswriters, or fans. Nor does our staff make any judgments on the merits of any individual team. Prior season history, school size, and comments on message boards are not considered in the MP

The system utilizes the huge number of game results stored in the MP database. Generally, the more a team wins the higher the ranking, but the system takes into account quality wins (against other highly ranked opponents) and strength of schedule.

For example, a team's ranking is hurt more by losing to a team that is ranked below them versus a team ranked ahead.

Other factors that will affect the rankings are times when unapproved website has incomplete or inaccurate information. We will correct errors when they are reported to us. If we are missing a score, report it to us on the team's unapproved website page. If we are missing a game on the schedule, send us a correction request.

Generally, the more games that are played the more accurate the rankings, so if a team that you perceive as being very strong has played substantially fewer games than other ranked teams it may reflect the fact that we have less data to work with.

Playoff games are weighed 2.1 times what a regular season game is.

Movement indicates the up or down movement within the rankings when compared to our previously published rankings.

MP football rankings are updated once a week, other sports will be updated three times a week during the sport season.

Im not making a big deal because we all know polls are meaningless anyway, I was just curious as how they figure them. WC only loss was to a undefeated 3a team by four points is what I was getting at. No disrespect intended.

SP's power rating is taking a hit because of Boyd going 0 - 4.  However, it is still up because of the 3 teams they lost to.