Tennessee at Knoxville West

WestHigh4Life

Ok!..Ok!...all trash talking aside.even though it is fun. :popcorneater:  I know what kind of team West is.. I've seen them play on TV couple times this season, Lenoir city game and I can't remember the other right off hand,but anyway.

It's gonna be a tall task for us to go into K-town and beat you guys.. i know that .And I remember you sending us home a few times before in the play-offs over the years. So i respect your program.. it is top notch... one of the best in the state IMO.And I know you guys can't help who you play anymore than we can..bottom line is there are just not many 5A school up this way anymore.

But with that said were still coming and your gonna get our best shot whether that will be good enough or not remains to be seen (probably not) but this team won't quit i can promise you that and they will try and take it to ya.

Will we be out manned? Of coarse we will..we were out manned against the Hill and DB and to here them tell it AC(till after the fact). And you speak of speed ..i doubt you have anymore speed than Science Hill or DB does for that matter.

I remember Powell saying some of the same thing's before our quarter final game a couple years ago..we were up 10-0 then our starting qb went down with a broken collar bone  in the 1st Quarter(hope that officiating crew is in Memphis or somewhere else....WOW!)..so you never know what can happen...just saying. So win or lose we'll still be proud of our Vikings and even though we will be the second smallest school in 5A next year, we will just keep striving to get better and better...after all that's all one can do right!

Good luck to you guys and hope's for a safe game.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Losing to maryville should be irrelevant to the 5a playoff picture. West isn't scared of any team, and they give it their best shot but when it comes down to it, maryville is head and shoulders above any competition in 5a.

IT PROVES THAT YOU HAD NOT GOTTEN BETTER ENOUGH TO BEAT THEM..BUT...THE SCORE WAS BETTER.....AND UNTIL EVERYONE IN 5A PLAYS THEM..BETTER COMPETITION IS YOUR OPINION ONLY BECAUSE THEY CONTINUE TO BEAT YOU.....BUT THAT'S EAST TENN FOR YA...

Hey hey hey, I finally got around to making an account. Been reading up on these since I was a former player a few years ago...but I literally created my account to agree with what runninrebels said. With all due respect (some anyway) the difference in West's program began with Rang. That guy was an absolute genius. I know a lot of people who had serious problems with the way cummings handled the end of that state game and the way he treated those kids (especially the seniors) afterwards. Those kids worked hard for him for 4 long years, made it further than any west team had made it before and after the game what Cummings told them was "Grow up. Learn how to lose with some dignity." That was it. Also, when you have a guy that rushes for 15+ypc and a qb that can take it to the house at any point, why stop running the ball? I'm not even looking at this in hindsight, I knew tons of people who were screaming that from the stands while it was happening. West was not a passing team all year, yet when they were down by a point with a whole 6 minutes left, Cummings wanted to start throwing the ball....that's all I'll say on that. He also had a great coach, who was the wr coach a few years ago, that should have been OC. He was a smart guy, and from up in the box he dissected the game much like Rang used to...Cummings ignored him. Anyway, I came to talk about the game!

Here's the bottom line. It doesn't matter who west has or hasn't played. This is the same group of kids who have playoff experience from the last TWO seasons. They've played against maryville since they were freshman and most importantly, they beat these "bad" teams as they are expected to...actually they beat them worse IMO. All most every time west takes the field, they are up by 21 within 12 minutes. That's the game right there. If West wanted to, they could do that every quarter and beat teams by 75+ nearly every week, but they get young guys in and EVEN THOSE KIDS compete with these teams. West's scores are often not what they seem and coming from someone who has played against east Tennessee teams, you just aren't athletic enough. It doesn't even really matter how good you are as a team, all it takes is #5 to get behind you, #7 to run in circles till you get tired, and it's only a matter of time before 3, 15 or the safety (blanking on his number) to find a way to come up with the ball and before you know it, they're in your end zone. This game is not close, but West shows dominance that isn't justified in the score...

West 64- THS 21 (2 scores in the 4th against freshman. In essence it's 64-7)

Thats what everybody said about Elizabethton and Catholic as well...we ain't Skeeerd.  so SHOW ME YOUR WAR FACE!!! ..ARRRRRHHHHH!!!   :blink:

I beg to differ..,..check out the D11 scrimmage against Ensworth...

the only difference between 5a ans 6a is what? a couple hundred kids??? If I was the big fish in the pond feeding off guppies year after year my trophy case would be full too.......I would be comfortable stayin in my lane....

I was going to refute your analysis - but I really can't figure out what in the world you are trying to say.  I'm not sure if I agree or disagree with you - does this have to do with fishing, football or driving?  I do enjoy all three.   

Edited by MeritIII

Will we be out manned? Of coarse we will..we were out manned against the Hill and DB and to here them tell it AC(till after the fact). And you speak of speed ..i doubt you have anymore speed than Science Hill or DB does for that matter.

For the record, I thought we would be out manned before the game, and I was right.  I took us to win by 3 points only because I can't predict against the Mavs.

Edited by MavMaximus

I was going to refute your analysis - but I really can't figure out what in the world you are trying to say. I'm not sure if I agree or disagree with you - does this have to do with fishing, football or driving? I do enjoy all three.

He is saying he thinks Ooltewah could beat Maryville. :popcorneater: Edited by Governors91

He is saying he thinks Ooltewah could beat Maryville. :popcorneater:

WE WILL NEVER KNOW.....AND WE COMPETITORS WILL NEVER REVERENCE AN OPPONENT WE HAVE NEVER PLAYED FOR THE SAKE OF BEING IN THE LOSING LINE WITH THE OTHERS...#LOP :popcorneater: JUST BECAUSE A TEAM BEATS THE SAME TEAMS YEAR AFTER YEAR DON'T MEAN THEY CAN AUTOMATICALLY BEAT A TEAMA THAT THEY HAVE NEVER PLAYED.....WE WILL NEVER CONCEDE TO THAT....AND THE ONES THAT DO....DON'T BRING THAT SPIRIT TO MY TEAM....

Just saying what exactly - this is the West vs Tennessee  board - do you have anything you would like to add?  It's the second round of the 5A playoffs - try to keep up. 

I WISH THAT FOLKS WOULD STOP REFERRING TO MARYVILLE AS THE STANDARD OF FOOTBALL....RIGHT THIS IS 5A FOOTBALL AND TAKING THE LOSS TO THEM AS A "GIVEN" IS ABSURD TO ME AS A COMPETITOR...HEY THIS RACE IS TIGHT AND WE HAVE SOME GREAT TEAMS COMPETING....IT'S ALL ABOUT MATCH UPS AND ALOT OF FOLKS ARE JUMPING THE GUN BASED ON WHAT THEY DID LAST SEASON....WHAT A BIG MISTAKE...

WE WILL NEVER KNOW.....AND WE COMPETITORS WILL NEVER REVERENCE AN OPPONENT WE HAVE NEVER PLAYED FOR THE SAKE OF BEING IN THE LOSING LINE WITH THE OTHERS...#LOP :popcorneater: JUST BECAUSE A TEAM BEATS THE SAME TEAMS YEAR AFTER YEAR DON'T MEAN THEY CAN AUTOMATICALLY BEAT A TEAMA THAT THEY HAVE NEVER PLAYED.....WE WILL NEVER CONCEDE TO THAT....AND THE ONES THAT DO....DON'T BRING THAT SPIRIT TO MY TEAM....

You are confused (again) - you play Rhea County in 5A this week.  Maryville is playing in the 6A bracket.  Again, please keep up.  The IML games are being played in January.  I'm sure you can get the that game scheduled in week 2 of the IML but I'm pretty sure Fulton signed up for week 1. 

It has nothing to do with a CoachT poster's spirit. If my mindset had a direct effect on the Govs they would quit underachieving every year. You believing the Owls could/would beat maryville would have zero impact on the game should ya'll play. The fact is Maryville may have not beaten the owls on the field yet but they have beaten teams that are objectively better than the owls every year. So it's safe to put money on Maryville beating the owls like they do everyone else. I have lived here in Blount County most of my life and I can't tell you how many good teams have come into maryville cocky and confident thinking they were going to win and they ended up getting destroyed. I used to think that WB had a chance to beat maryville every year but after seeing so many lopsided games I know better now. And you would come to see things that way too if the owls got a few butt whoopings from them.