Tennessee at Knoxville West

WestHigh4Life

Certainly not speaking for Cap (I don't even think we speak the same language), but TH played one 3A (playoff team), 2 really good 4As (both in playoffs), VA High (would be 3A in TN) and conference games (2-6As and 5-5As).

I understand. He brought up this SOS and if he knew anything about football, he would know you throw the schedules out the window this time of year. You beat who is in front of you.

I think THS has a solid team and if they can control the clock like they did against SH they definitely have a chance to win. But I think West has to much speed, depth and experience.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It will be too cold Friday and bring back memories of Cookeville for the Rebels! They will cash it in early! The cold combined with the hard nosed Vikings will be too much!

vul, I thought those Campbell County boys ran you off from the 5A-6A threads.  But you just had to keep your hope alive that West will get beat.  Some people think you really believe that which you post. 

vul, I thought those Campbell County boys ran you off from the 5A-6A threads. But you just had to keep your hope alive that West will get beat. Some people think you really believe that which you post.

I assure you ORK, CoachT or some other moderator will be the only folk to keep me off the boards! Nobody from CC or AC worry me. Exception might be Hog just because I think he is legitimately crazy! For the record, I do believe what I type. I think TH takes it to West!

Hey hey hey, I finally got around to making an account. Been reading up on these since I was a former player a few years ago...but I literally created my account to agree with what runninrebels said. With all due respect (some anyway) the difference in West's program began with Rang. That guy was an absolute genius. I know a lot of people who had serious problems with the way cummings handled the end of that state game and the way he treated those kids (especially the seniors) afterwards. Those kids worked hard for him for 4 long years, made it further than any west team had made it before and after the game what Cummings told them was "Grow up. Learn how to lose with some dignity." That was it. Also, when you have a guy that rushes for 15+ypc and a qb that can take it to the house at any point, why stop running the ball? I'm not even looking at this in hindsight, I knew tons of people who were screaming that from the stands while it was happening. West was not a passing team all year, yet when they were down by a point with a whole 6 minutes left, Cummings wanted to start throwing the ball....that's all I'll say on that. He also had a great coach, who was the wr coach a few years ago, that should have been OC. He was a smart guy, and from up in the box he dissected the game much like Rang used to...Cummings ignored him. Anyway, I came to talk about the game!

Here's the bottom line. It doesn't matter who west has or hasn't played. This is the same group of kids who have playoff experience from the last TWO seasons. They've played against maryville since they were freshman and most importantly, they beat these "bad" teams as they are expected to...actually they beat them worse IMO. All most every time west takes the field, they are up by 21 within 12 minutes. That's the game right there. If West wanted to, they could do that every quarter and beat teams by 75+ nearly every week, but they get young guys in and EVEN THOSE KIDS compete with these teams. West's scores are often not what they seem and coming from someone who has played against east Tennessee teams, you just aren't athletic enough. It doesn't even really matter how good you are as a team, all it takes is #5 to get behind you, #7 to run in circles till you get tired, and it's only a matter of time before 3, 15 or the safety (blanking on his number) to find a way to come up with the ball and before you know it, they're in your end zone. This game is not close, but West shows dominance that isn't justified in the score...

West 64- THS 21 (2 scores in the 4th against freshman. In essence it's 64-7)

Hey hey hey, I finally got around to making an account. Been reading up on these since I was a former player a few years ago...but I literally created my account to agree with what runninrebels said. With all due respect (some anyway) the difference in West's program began with Rang. That guy was an absolute genius. I know a lot of people who had serious problems with the way cummings handled the end of that state game and the way he treated those kids (especially the seniors) afterwards. Those kids worked hard for him for 4 long years, made it further than any west team had made it before and after the game what Cummings told them was "Grow up. Learn how to lose with some dignity." That was it. Also, when you have a guy that rushes for 15+ypc and a qb that can take it to the house at any point, why stop running the ball? I'm not even looking at this in hindsight, I knew tons of people who were screaming that from the stands while it was happening. West was not a passing team all year, yet when they were down by a point with a whole 6 minutes left, Cummings wanted to start throwing the ball....that's all I'll say on that. He also had a great coach, who was the wr coach a few years ago, that should have been OC. He was a smart guy, and from up in the box he dissected the game much like Rang used to...Cummings ignored him. Anyway, I came to talk about the game!

Here's the bottom line. It doesn't matter who west has or hasn't played. This is the same group of kids who have playoff experience from the last TWO seasons. They've played against maryville since they were freshman and most importantly, they beat these "bad" teams as they are expected to...actually they beat them worse IMO. All most every time west takes the field, they are up by 21 within 12 minutes. That's the game right there. If West wanted to, they could do that every quarter and beat teams by 75+ nearly every week, but they get young guys in and EVEN THOSE KIDS compete with these teams. West's scores are often not what they seem and coming from someone who has played against east Tennessee teams, you just aren't athletic enough. It doesn't even really matter how good you are as a team, all it takes is #5 to get behind you, #7 to run in circles till you get tired, and it's only a matter of time before 3, 15 or the safety (blanking on his number) to find a way to come up with the ball and before you know it, they're in your end zone. This game is not close, but West shows dominance that isn't justified in the score...

SIR NO OFFENSE TO YOU BUT WHAT YOU ARE SAYING IS EASY TO SAY COMING FROM EAST TENNESSEE.....THE SCHEDULE ALLOWS WEST TO RUN UP THE SCORE WITH LITTLE CHALLENGE...AND THE ONE CHALLENGE YOU HAVE RESULTS IN A LOSS..I SAW THE CHAMPIONSHIP GAME AND WEST CAME OUT WENT UP 2 SCORES QUICKLY....BUT IN THE END... THE WEAKNESS WAS EXPOSED ON A 3RD AND LONG SITUATION FROM A WEST TENNESSEE TEAM WHO COULD RUN, THROW, PASS AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, DEFEND.....

With all due respect....Rang is a good football and well respected, but West was finishing second in the district and winning playoff games before Rang came on board.  I seem to remember Rang coaching at SD and they went 1-9 and since he left SD they have gotten better. So both arguments can be made there!  I think that Coach Cummings has done and exceptional job and hiring the right guys is part of being a HC and with the help of the CEO Shaver they have really built a working ordered 5A powerhouse!

Along the lines of the the State championship game Henry County had really started playing well on both sides of the ball and with injuries to the defensive guys before and during that game really struggle to get the HC offense off the field.  So with 1 timeout and 2 drives that would have had to have been 80 + yards with 1:30 left on the clock you just cant take a chance on running the ball and having to use your only timeout! But oh well that is over now and with one comment I think the team is ready for a run and look for a good game on Friday.

Also I think the program was being built and when Rang got there he did a good job of continuing to build upon what had already been laid as far as attitude and work ethic etc...for the record the defense has been pretty good since Rang left, so was it really Rang or the players there that want the direction from good coaches and are really good athletes.  I think the combination of players and coaches there now are what makes West who they are and IT STARTS AT TOP! With Coach Cummings Period!

Ah. Glad to finally meet ya PA, been seeing you around for a long time...I'll letcha in on some knowledge. Actually no, I'll lead you to the answer. What needs to happen at half time? What should coaches do in order to be better prepared for the 2nd half? West WAS prepared for Henry County and I think that they athletically were the better team, but what happened?

@tortoiseandthehair you make some great points bud! I agree that Cummings has done a great job of building the program! He has traits of a good GM...not a coach though. I'm not trying to personally attack Cummings, I swear I'm not. But he is awful at in game adjustments. It's the reason that West lost to Henry County. West went in prepared, played well early, but as the game went on, HC adjusted and West didn't. You'd also be surprised how badly the veer as a system fits west's athletes. Over the last few years west has had some of the quickest and most athletic (though not biggest) athletes in the state at this level. A spread, or west coast scheme would make A LOT of sense. Instead, he's been trying to drive a cadillac like a dodge ram. Just a thought.

The year before Rang got there West went .500 or something like that... Huge jump up to 8-3 I think..lost to IMO what was one of the best teams in recent years in Columbia in like '11 or whenever that was

Edited by Inthestall