Webb not Playing Knox Cath any longer.

Bravey

I find it interesting that with Dave Meske being the A.D. at Webb, that they decided to ONLY discontinue the football series because it had become "an unhealthy environment for their community."  Why would they not cancel all future athletic events with Catholic?  Anyone with some common sense can see, it is all about winning.  And on top of that Meske supposedly scheduled a game date (w/ Catholic) for the next 2 year series as recently as a week or two ago (w/ Coach Matthews), only to cancel this week via text message.  Now that's classy!  So, Coach Meske and Webb either have to cancel all rivalry games (in all sports) with Catholic, or it just looks like they are taking their football (and the probability that Catholic would dominate them for the next 2 years as well) and going home!

And with Coach Rankin and Coach Bradley being finalists for the Catholic job, you can see why they would be bitter.  

To my knowledge, Coach Matthews is the only former NFL QB, currently coaching in the Knoxville area.  Being a former NFL QB doesn't automatically equate to being a future coaching genius, but it certainly would be an asset to any future high school coach.  He proved at siegel that he is a brilliant offensive mind, and I can't help but think his experience with many different elite NFL offensive coaches, prepared him to be a step or two ahead of the average high school coach.  I just looked it up on coacht, and during Coach Matthews's last year at Siegel (as the OC), they were 13-1, and they dominated in almost every game that they won.  How did Siegel do without him for the 2nd year?  They were 3-7 this year.  So, piling on Coach Matthews in this case of Webb (and Coach Meske) being cowards and taking the easy way out, seems very odd to me.  He is a great coach who built a great program at Siegel and is doing the same at Catholic.

The bottom line is the best teams have the hardest times finding games.  And it displays the true character of Webb to turn their nose up at an opponent when they are walking away from a battle, instead of telling the truth.  And don't say, "it's not about wins."  Everyone should know by now that a loss to Alcoa or Maryville is not nearly as painful to Coach Meske and the Webb community as a loss to the Fighting Irish of Catholic.

as far as Webb getting kids I believe they can recruit , offer and give scholarships and money for school, they are listed private I think. As far as all those coaches not getting the job they may not have been qualified, it may take special qualifications to land that job and just don't know if those other guys had the same quals, anyway say what you will about Webb being scared of losing, Webb wasn't the school BEGGING to not be required to play Maryville, in fact they ask for the game, have to give it to their coach on lining up a schedule like they are talking for next year, that for sure is murder's row. anyway the link may shed light on the lofty requirements to be the man at Catholic HS.

http://www.wsmv.com/story/14819189/nfl-qb-turned-hs-coach-faces-dui-charge-3-10-2011

• Upvote 1

The forward pass was legalized in football around 1905.  Webb still runs an old school, antiquated offensive system that has seen its better days.  The Spartans are more like the Army teams of the early 20th century that got pasted by teams that were more progressive in their balanced running and passing attack.  Instead of evolving with the times, Webb & Coach Meske are stuck in their ways, and instead of admitting they are taking a break from the rivalry because they are outmatched both athletically and coaching-wise, they want to throw, better yet, RUN,  jabs at Catholic.

I would love to see Coach Meske at one of this winter's basketball games between Webb & Catholic and ask him why the "rivalry" between these 2 schools is apparently healthy in all sports, except football.  Like most years, both schools will attract capacity crowds, and unlike football, the basketball fans sit very close to the benches and the court.  It is a much more "intimate" setting than a football game.  I guess we should assume that the students, parents and other fans of  these 2 schools that attend these basketball games are different than the ones that are creating the "unhealthy environment" for the Webb community at the football games.  Or maybe it's the fact that Webb beat Catholic in basketball once (maybe both times) last year, and the chance to win those games is a "healthier" proposition for Meske and the Webb administration.  

To take it a step further, I would love for someone with more knowledge of the recent history of these two schools to rate how healthy the rivalry is in each sport.  And, of course, I'm using Webb's definition of healthy as your present and future prospects of defeating your neighborhood, private school rival. 

Ex:    Lacrosse          Advantage Webb                            Extremely Healthy

Girls Soccer     W lost to KC 3-2 this year              Moderately Unhealthy

I find it interesting that with Dave Meske being the A.D. at Webb, that they decided to ONLY discontinue the football series because it had become "an unhealthy environment for their community."  Why would they not cancel all future athletic events with Catholic?  Anyone with some common sense can see, it is all about winning.  And on top of that Meske supposedly scheduled a game date (w/ Catholic) for the next 2 year series as recently as a week or two ago (w/ Coach Matthews), only to cancel this week via text message.  Now that's classy!  So, Coach Meske and Webb either have to cancel all rivalry games (in all sports) with Catholic, or it just looks like they are taking their football (and the probability that Catholic would dominate them for the next 2 years as well) and going home!

And with Coach Rankin and Coach Bradley being finalists for the Catholic job, you can see why they would be bitter.  

To my knowledge, Coach Matthews is the only former NFL QB, currently coaching in the Knoxville area.  Being a former NFL QB doesn't automatically equate to being a future coaching genius, but it certainly would be an asset to any future high school coach.  He proved at siegel that he is a brilliant offensive mind, and I can't help but think his experience with many different elite NFL offensive coaches, prepared him to be a step or two ahead of the average high school coach.  I just looked it up on coacht, and during Coach Matthews's last year at Siegel (as the OC), they were 13-1, and they dominated in almost every game that they won.  How did Siegel do without him for the 2nd year?  They were 3-7 this year.  So, piling on Coach Matthews in this case of Webb (and Coach Meske) being cowards and taking the easy way out, seems very odd to me.  He is a great coach who built a great program at Siegel and is doing the same at Catholic.

The bottom line is the best teams have the hardest times finding games.  And it displays the true character of Webb to turn their nose up at an opponent when they are walking away from a battle, instead of telling the truth.  And don't say, "it's not about wins."  Everyone should know by now that a loss to Alcoa or Maryville is not nearly as painful to Coach Meske and the Webb community as a loss to the Fighting Irish of Catholic.

You absolutely hit the nail on the head smoltz...the truth hurts. Webb would rather lose to anybody other than Catholic.

It seems awfully unprofessional to cancel a long-standing rivalry via a TEXT message. Webb's AD sends a text then informs the TV stations and newspaper that the series is coming to an end due to an "unhealthy relationship". You would think professional courtesy would at least warrant a phone call. You would think the AD or Interim President would have made that call. Interesting that they want to continue in all sports except football. I think several factors are in play. Webb only had 30 something footballers with 8 seniors and a small junior class. Three kids have transferred from Webb to Catholic and two would start for Webb. Webb's numbers are shrinking and Catholic's are rising. Not a good combination! This has been a passionate rivalry with long winning streaks by both teams. It's a game that the kids from both schools look forward to in every sport. These kids have grown up playing against each other in multiple sports since they were in grade school so there is a lot of pride involved with the games. Has it gotten crazy at times...sure but then again so have Farragut/Bearden, Fulton/ AE, Halls/Powell etc.