State Semifinal:Rhea County at Knox West

BigDave1967

Let's just say it this way - can we all agree for whatever reason - there was no valid reason for that crew to be officiating anything in the TSSAA?

I will also point out that Seth Marshall #7 refuses to accept defeat. With the game on the line - #7 steps up once again and says no worries guys - I got this.

Couldn't have said it better. West goes as far as #7 takes them. What baffles me is that no one wants this young man for college ball. He's a player!

What you all fail to recognize or admit is that while the interception call was not the correct call - the play had to be replayed due to the offsetting penalties. And yes there was a penalty - it happened right in front of us on the Rhea sideline and the penalty was the correct call. So if you want to blame anyone for that missed opportunity - blame West player number 11 for choosing a bad time to pick a fight not the refs.

I agree the officiating was bad and both sides are complaining about it. Unfortunately it is taking away from what was good game on both sides - West in the first half and the great comeback by the Eagles to tie the game.

I may be wrong but the pass looked like a screen pass was being set up. Your QB threw the ball up in desperation because he didn't want to take a sack. The receiver in question was actually blocking for said screen pass. Linemen were down field on said play. Get over it dude it was blown all the way around. Speaking of #11's, let's not act like yours was so innocent. I love how everyone but Rhea County fans can see it. Again, I have no ties to West with exception of them being in the same county. Bad calls on both sides? Sure. But if you are being honest with yourself, the big hitters went against West and could have cost them the game. By far the worst group of officials I have EVER seen!

First let me say great job Eagles on a special season and on never giving up in the game last night, you guys left it all on the field. Very proud of these guys.

Second I would like to say awesome job by West, you guys are very impressive and will represent East Tennessee well in the championship game, Go West! bring the gold ball back to this side of the state!

Lastly I would to say my piece on the officials last night. I have been watching high school ball for almost 30 years and I have seen some horribly called games and this was one of if not the worst I have ever seen. There were bad calls all over the field last with the majority of them going against West but to insinuate that this was home cooking is absurd and classless and very insulting to the Rhea County players, coaches and fans. Obviously everyone is entitled to their own opinion and you have the right to post it on this or any other public forum but if you know anything about high school football you know that the officials for each playoff games are always brought in by the TSSAA including the chain crew. So again to suggest the Rhea County somehow paid off the TSSAA is laughable. The officiating we witnessed last night was incompetence not "home cooking" and it was a shame it happened in a semifinal game or any game of this importance. The good thing is that the game was televised and streamed last night so the TSSAA shouldn't be able to act like it didn't happen and will hopefully address this issue and react accordingly.

Good luck next week West, take it to Hillsboro!

I may be wrong but the pass looked like a screen pass was being set up. Your QB threw the ball up in desperation because he didn't want to take a sack. The receiver in question was actually blocking for said screen pass. Linemen were down field on said play. Get over it dude it was blown all the way around. Speaking of #11's, let's not act like yours was so innocent. I love how everyone but Rhea County fans can see it. Again, I have no ties to West with exception of them being in the same county. Bad calls on both sides? Sure. But if you are being honest with yourself, the big hitters went against West and could have cost them the game. By far the worst group of officials I have EVER seen!

I THINK ALL THE UNSPORTSMANLIKE CHATTER ON THE WEST SIDELINE TICKED THE REFS OFF..

The winning West coach still needs to report the refs to the TSSAA...just pure incompetence. And also once TSSAA decides who's incompetent and who's not concerning that crew they should only see high school football games by buying tickets for now on. There's no way they should be given another chance to have input in a game. Yes I've had bad days at work but nothing like that...I'd be fired if I did.

Excellent post! Anyone should be fired for that performance regardless of profession. I'm glad West won but I'm complaining that these refs tried to make this game about them instead of letting two teams of young men decide it on the field. Both teams deserved better especially w what was at stake.

Congrats to Rhea County on a phenomenal year and good luck next year in your new region.

As for West, we have to play a beast next week! Definitely have to bring it next week for 4 qtrs.

So, all of the impartial fans think this was the worst called game ever. We believe the calls were heavily slanted in favor of Rhea County. Most of us watched it on TV with multiple replays.

A few homers who were at the game are saying it was just as bad for both sides. AND defending the no interception, replay the down.

Total screw job!!!! So glad the West kids didn't have to go home after this game. Rhea County played their hearts out. They should be very proud. Too bad the officiating was the worst in the history of football. I never seen a game where  someone might have gotten paid until last night.

To address some of these blatantly bogus accusations I would like to begin with the fact that we are in the semifinals of the state football championships.  To imply refs would openly cheat for a team is asinine in and of itself.  Refs miss calls in every game at every level.  I for one think they made some bad calls both ways and I will list a couple that went against Rhea County. 

On one of West's first three drives there was a big pass interference call that went against Rhea County where the safety timed his hit perfectly and was called for a bogus penalty.  That was 3rd down and 15. 

West scored a touchdown on a quarterback tuck and run on a 3rd and 17, where I counted at least 2 blatant holding infractions. 

So while you are saying the score should have been 35-0 at the half minimum, I would respectfully like to disagree and say it should have been maximum 14-0.  Did I mention that Rhea County lost 3 fumbles in the first half as well.  West completely outplayed Rhea County in the first half, but they had some assistance on their way to the 28-0 half time lead.

On to the second half and the calls in question. 

We fumbled a kick off and due to your incompetence in the special teams as you committed a substitution infraction resulting in a re-kick.  That is not cheating that is making you follow the rules. 

The only really strange call was on the interception that West would have eventually returned for a touchdown.  The call was the correct call.  It should just have not been blown dead.  There was a offsetting unsportsmanlike conduct on both teams which meant the down would be replayed.  That doesn't seem like cheating to me either.  

A touchdown thrown to a tackle?  Number 85 plays end and also had two touchdowns against Oak Ridge. 

Finally.. Rhea's last first down was obvious pass interference, and we run the wing-t, so the motion penalty you are looking for is actually a back in motion.

Also if you want to complain about losing your best defensive player on the first play of the game go ahead.  Rhea lost it's most dominating physical presence on both sides of the ball in Jacob Williams in the first half.  He didn't play after half time.

Why can't you people just give all the credit to the kids on both sides of the ball, for playing their guts out for a chance to win it all.  Refs didn't win or lose this game it was decided by the coaches, and their preparation for this moment. 

Congratulations West and good luck next week.

Its neat how your allegiance skews your view point. I am a fan of neither team and have no ties to either team. I simply wanted to watch a good football game. The calls in Rheas favor were huge and definitely resulted in the comeback. Obviously the inadverdent whistle was one of the worst calls I have ever seen but there were many others on your scoring drives in the second half. on the middle screen you threw in the second half that got you to the goal line, one of your blockers tackled the defender. Not only did he tackle him but as he hit him he spun and was falling backwards with his back towards the ground and just pulled the defender down right on top of himself. It was right at the point of attack and right in front of the official. They played it over and over on the online replay and the commentators were even laughing it was so blatant. The pass interference call you received on #24 was not even close to being pass interference but those things are sometimes called wrong as its the officials judgement. The td pass to your #85 everyone was complaining about was horrendous. Im not sure how well you understand the rules but it doenst matter if hes listed as a tight end in the program or if he had caught passes previously in the game. On that play he wasn't lined up as the end man on the line of scrimmage. He was ineligible as he was lined up as a tackle for all piratical purposes. They showed this numerous times on the replay as well. He ran right by the defenders uncovered as they were confused as to why he was going out for a pass. They even immediately ran to the refs saying he was lined up at tackle. On offense Rheas running backs were offsides on about half the plays and they were only called once for it. All that being said, Rhea showed a lot of heart and came out and played hard. They cant control what the refs call but anyone whos not biased will tell you that it made a huge difference in the game.     

Edited by drewpearson

Let's just say it this way - can we all agree for whatever reason - there was no valid reason for that crew to be officiating anything in the TSSAA?

I will also point out that Seth Marshall #7 refuses to accept defeat. With the game on the line - #7 steps up once again and says no worries guys - I got this.

West is very good, but Marshall is the trigger man that makes it all work, he is very impressive.