State Semi-Final GCA at Marion County

gcapride

Cool thing is that when he was the defensive coordinator at Calhoun, Buford beat them in the finals and he wondered why their athletes were faster than his. He went to Buford and asked them what they do and designed his program from them basically and ended up beating them when they were nationally ranked. He brought the elastic training bands with him and they were about $ 6000. We hope that we get the edge up on people by this training because we usually don't have the type kids that teams like sp have. We aren't always blessed with great athletes. Most folks around really think Ross is going to do big things and we hope he sticks around here and does big things. He is going to be a hot commodity in the coaching business and it will be hard for us to hang on to him.

An elastic training band costs $6000? Are they made out of gold or diamonds?

So they can actually practice football during school? They need to let all of the schools in the county do this. No wonder the kids are in such good shape. This is a great advantage if schools can work it out to make it happen.

Not sure when you graduated but when I was in school it would be called 7th period athletics. They just do it in the morning instead.

An elastic training band costs $6000? Are they made out of gold or diamonds?

There are fifty or so of them. Has a belt with them and straps that go on your ankles. I guess it is rubber, or surgical tubing. I'm sure he would show them to you and how they work if you wanted to see them. I'm not sure they do the block scheduling any more, so it may or may not be an hour n a half now per period

So they can actually practice football during school? They need to let all of the schools in the county do this. No wonder the kids are in such good shape. This is a great advantage if schools can work it out to make it happen.

Check out Havlock high school and Jim Bob Bryant, trust me you'll be impressed. This is more common than some might think. Alot of us are just unfortunate in this area.

There are fifty or so of them. Has a belt with them and straps that go on your ankles. I guess it is rubber, or surgical tubing. I'm sure he would show them to you and how they work if you wanted to see them. I'm not sure they do the block scheduling any more, so it may or may not be an hour n a half now per period

So they are around $100 each then. Definitely a nice luxury to have if you can afford it. Times have changed. Back in my day it pretty much consisted of coming and lifting weights if you wanted too, but it wasn't mandatory. High school nowadays is ran similar to college programs.

Cool thing is that when he was the defensive coordinator at Calhoun, Buford beat them in the finals and he wondered why their athletes were faster than his. He went to Buford and asked them what they do and designed his program from them basically and ended up beating them when they were nationally ranked. He brought the elastic training bands with him and they were about $ 6000. We hope that we get the edge up on people by this training because we usually don't have the type kids that teams like sp have. We aren't always blessed with great athletes. Most folks around really think Ross is going to do big things and we hope he sticks around here and does big things. He is going to be a hot commodity in the coaching business and it will be hard for us to hang on to him.

Unless he really likes it there, he'll be gone. I totally agree about the type atheletes you are talking about. There are 2 type teams who really win at a high level,its teams with great atheletes and fairly good coaching and teams that outwork the others with good coaching. Thats exactly why privates are near the top year after year. Once you've been around this as long as I have ,you start to realize how teams are what they are.

For years the athletes here always had their study hall last period and as long as their grades were good they could spend their study hall with their coaches lifting or whatever. 2 years ago the school cut that out. We're going backwards in this deal.

Edited by crow

For years the athletes here always had their study hall last period and as long as their grades were good they could spend their study hall with their coaches lifting or whatever. 2 years ago the school cut that out. We're going backwards in this deal.

I thought that was the situation. It really hurts small publics like ours because alot of kids don't show up if they have the choice. It really hurts the in season training because the only way they can work is after practice, its too late and they are killed. If they could train early in the day,they would have time to recover before practice.