Boyd Buchanan 2015

reaction

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 7 on 7 circuit has started. Boyd went down to Lafayette, Ga. for an event with 7-8 teams there. LFO, Lafayette, Christian Heritage, Sonoraville, Walker Valley, North Murray, etc. were there. Played 7 games. Went 6-1 losing first one to North Murray. Good to watch some football although it was the touch variety.  

How does the Boyd passing game look? The primary receiver guy from last year is gone, correct?  Boyd looking to use #86 more instead of a last option this year?  That guy is dangerous when he gets the ball... big and fast... Any other receiver guys stepping up?  Boyd has good QB that can throw it around, and would be shame if they don't use the right concepts for the individuals they have.  I know Boyd has historically been a smash mouth type football team, but I did not see any big type lineman that can move people around when the defense knows you are going to run every play.

How does the Boyd passing game look? The primary receiver guy from last year is gone, correct?  Boyd looking to use #86 more instead of a last option this year?  That guy is dangerous when he gets the ball... big and fast... Any other receiver guys stepping up?  Boyd has good QB that can throw it around, and would be shame if they don't use the right concepts for the individuals they have.  I know Boyd has historically been a smash mouth type football team, but I did not see any big type lineman that can move people around when the defense knows you are going to run every play.

You nailed it. #86 is 6' 2" 233lbs. and can fly. He is rated the #1 TE in Chattanooga by the River City Sports site. Probably a hybrid TE/WR. In  the 7 on 7s, things tended to work better when he was split like a receiver and had some space away from the LBs. They have another kid that can function well at TE #44 so you can split #86 out then bring him back in for a two tight end set to run the ball. #1 played safety last year but will be a main option at WR. He is 6' 2" also and can go get the football plus makes the tough catches in traffic. Just a real tough kid. QB has plenty of arm so deep ball should be a weapon to just let those guys go get it. They are working on developing the #3 and #4 receiving options in these 7 on 7s. Offensive line is relatively small but very quick and experienced. Have more depth this year with 8-9 guys that can play in the line. In my opinion to be successful, the pass will have to be used to get people out of the box then run the football with the lead later. Schedule is filled with teams bigger than us so can't afford to get into the grinding 14-12 4th quarter type slugfests. The formula will be to use the pass to get ahead and make the other teams get out of their comfort zone throwing it to catch up. Think you can still pound it just as much but with the lead. Defense looks to have a lot of potential if they can stay healthy as well.           

It sounds like Boyd is going to rely on the pass more this season. I hope you're right because in lower classifications running the football usually wins games. If they don't line up and try to cram it right at our undersized team then maybe we can make it a game later in the year. BTW, I think Boyd has a very good RB coming back this year. I hope you don't give the ball to him.

It sounds like Boyd is going to rely on the pass more this season. I hope you're right because in lower classifications running the football usually wins games. If they don't line up and try to cram it right at our undersized team then maybe we can make it a game later in the year. BTW, I think Boyd has a very good RB coming back this year. I hope you don't give the ball to him.

No, there will not be more passing than in the past. #5 is a good back and will get a bunch of carries this year. When we play Meigs, Polk, Bledsoe, Tyner, and Marion, we probably can't line up and pound those teams without throwing the ball to loosen things up. I think it will be 75% run in the other games. Most teams in 2A can't throw it that well so that advantage will have to be used for us to win. You normally have substandard defensive back play in 2A as it is not very well coached at that level. Can't remember last DB to play any type of higher level college football out of 2A Tennessee football.      

No, there will not be more passing than in the past. #5 is a good back and will get a bunch of carries this year. When we play Meigs, Polk, Bledsoe, Tyner, and Marion, we probably can't line up and pound those teams without throwing the ball to loosen things up. I think it will be 75% run in the other games. Most teams in 2A can't throw it that well so that advantage will have to be used for us to win. You normally have substandard defensive back play in 2A as it is not very well coached at that level. Can't remember last DB to play any type of higher level college football out of 2A Tennessee football.

i disagree about pounding it out against those teams. I think Marion's specialty this year will be team speed in the secondary. Your best bet against them would be 4-5 yards at a time and score in the red zone

If you can't pound it at Bledsoe, Meigs and Polk then Boyd can't make much noise in the east. The good Boyd teams over the years ran the ball 75% of the time. If you want to be good then they better be able to do it in 2015. JMO

If you can't pound it at Bledsoe, Meigs and Polk then Boyd can't make much noise in the east. The good Boyd teams over the years ran the ball 75% of the time. If you want to be good then they better be able to do it in 2015. JMO

My point exactly.  Just because Boyd could run and smash in years past does not mean they need to do it all the time.  Times changes, players change, etc.  Who cares what Boyd did over the years?  A good coach and program will adjust to the type players they have, regardless. Boyd has a good passing team. Why not use it?  Because they have not in the past?  Makes no sense to me.  As Sqatch says, use the passing game to it's advantage, and the defense will never know what is coming at them.  From the few games I saw last year, any subpar coach could figure out what Boyd was going to do on offense.  Without the dominate line, smashmouth running the football just will not work.   Perplexes me why if you have the athletes to have a dominate passing game, why it would not be used.  I'm old and grey, but you guys sound even more old school than me! 

I'm an old school single wing dinosaur. It sounds like you don't like the play calling. LMBO. Glad to see that exists at more than just SP. Maybe Reaction should call the plays instead of Coach Reynolds. Reaction must be in hybernation. Which night and who do you guys play in the Chattanooga jamboree this season.

God bless all the single wing dinosaurs. My Dad played guard with no face mask in the single wing. He just had someone break his nose before the season so he could control when it happened. It is easy to sit and evaluate the play calling from the stands. My offensive coordinator days lasted one year so obviously not an expert. I called plays one year for some 12 year olds, and it is one of the most stressful things you can do. Luckily, I was not paid as that would have been taken away and moving signs placed in my yard. 

Everyone makes good points but this is really an injury issue. We have 6-7 guys going both ways so it is critical to keep them helathy over the course of the season. You want to win every game but we really need some games where we can strike early to get a lead then rest our guys to maintain them for the rest fo the season. If you know a running team has to pass, I guarantee there will be some turnovers and the game get out of hand. Maybe you can win some 21-14 physical blood baths but those games wear on a smaller team over time. With our 195lb linemen blocking 240lb guys when we have two 6' 2" guys on the perimeter who can make big plays, you have to exploit those matchups. Most teams have one kid that can cover (Marion might be the exception - think they are solid across the board) but then you have a good matchup on the other guys back there. When you establish that you can throw the ball, defenses have to take one guy out of the box and go two deep safeties and widen those linebackers out to cover the flat game. Then, you have big holes for the running backs and blocking angles get easier. #5's 15 carries now get him 150 yards rather than 75 yards.     

Central is our jamboree game. Not sure of the night yet. Need to check that. 

I'm an old school single wing dinosaur. It sounds like you don't like the play calling. LMBO. Glad to see that exists at more than just SP. Maybe Reaction should call the plays instead of Coach Reynolds. Reaction must be in hybernation. Which night and who do you guys play in the Chattanooga jamboree this season.

Its almost time.