CLASS A STATE CHAMPIONSHIP: UNION CITY VS. COALFIELD

JDOGG80

There seem to be a lot of questions about why UC is 1A. Let me try to help. There's always been a lot of friction between the county and the city here. Also UC has a sizable black population whereas the county is virtually all white. Several years ago the county built new grammar schools. Trying to exploit the situation, they built 1 school within 1 mile of the south city limit and another within 2 miles of the northwest city limit. Then to top it all off they started running county buses in the city. UC protested to the state. The state ruled it was okay for the county to run buses in the city but the city couldn't run buses outside the city limits. Sadly it worked. Over the next few years our high school dropped from around 550 students to a low of 260 students. It was at this point that we were dropped to 1A.

Now things are changing. People have decided that a good education is more important than the racial makeup of the school. The next time schools are classified I'm sure we'll be 2A, but for now we are were we are. 1A hasn't been always good. We won championships in 2009 and 2013 but in between there were 2 losing seasons. This years team is the result of a lot of hard work by a group of exceptional kids. We'll come down a notch next year.

This is not what we wanted, but we played hand we were dealt. Hope this helps explain the situation.

Outstanding post that is the absolute best explanation / summary of why uc is in single a.

Tell me O&B how do u think the 87 Greenback state champs would stack up against this UC squad. They had one of the most dominant lines I've seen to date.

Very hard to say rt,we had a very dominating line for sure on both sides and 1A was alot tougher in the 3 class system.Hanley was an outstanding back also.This UC team doesnt even look like a 1A team so it would be hard to say.We beat a good Heritage in the jamboree when teams actually tried and we domimated a Sevier county team before season started we were legit,but again very hard to compare.

Rest assured they will give it all they have after seeing the way they played us and knowing how bad Bible was hurting I AM SURE they will give em all they have!

I saw highlights of the greenback game and bible wasnt getting hit that hard and he was looking like he hit by a truck. Lets see what happens when gets hit by this UC team; will he be able to handle the hits.

I saw highlights of the greenback game and bible wasnt getting hit that hard and he was looking like he hit by a truck. Lets see what happens when gets hit by this UC team; will he be able to handle the hits.

Watching highlights and knowing the truth is two seperate things, so let's try not to make assumptions.

• Upvote 1

I will be honest after seeing the way your D plays and we had a solid D but no big hitters by any means and i dont think he played against Catholic or ND so he hasnt been hit like he will Fri.34 please dont think i am knocking him he played the whole game hurting as bad as i have ever seen any kid and he kept playing he is a tough kid.I have a feeling 1 half is a out all they will get out of him(IF HE HAS TO CARRY THE LOAD) the way your LBs hit.Knowing some other things i dont think they will let him get punished for 4 quarters if it gets out of hand.At least as a parent i wouldnt! Edited by orngnblk

I will be honest after seeing the way your D plays and we had a solid D but no big hitters by any means and i dont think he played against Catholic or ND so he hasnt been hit like he will Fri.34 please dont think i am knocking him he played the whole game hurting as bad as i have ever seen any kid and he kept playing he is a tough kid.I have a feeling 1 half is a out all they will get out of him(IF HE HAS TO CARRY THE LOAD) the way your LBs hit.Knowing some other things i dont think they will let him get punished for 4 quarters if it gets out of hand.At least as a parent i wouldnt!

I know your not knocking him...and I know how tough UC is, I just think its a little premature to judge a young man based on watching a highlight film and not knowing the whole truth.

I know your not knocking him...and I know how tough UC is, I just think its a little premature to judge a young man based on watching a highlight film and not knowing the whole truth.

I agree with you but he was having a tough night you could see that.The second half he looked like he had took some "aleve" and didnt look to be hurting as bad.Anyone would have to vive the boy credit for not folding!

I'm happy for my son and the rest of our players and coaches and fans to have the opportunity to get to play this Friday. The players and coaches are part of something special for the high school...first time in school history that they have played for a state championship in football...I told him to enjoy this week and have fun...

Edited by jackets34

If he is playing hurt im like them; it gets out of hand early he will need to be pulled or he could seriously get hurt and no one wants that. UC is very physical and will hit you hard.

Jacket34.....without adding to OB's thoughts on whether the kid answers the bell or not for the second half, you should understand the implication here.  Your kid has done an exceptionally good job through the course of this season and I'm certain you are exceedingly proud of where he went this year. (Heck, who wouldn't be!!!)  I don't think anyone is trying to ruffle any feathers or take away from what the kid has done this year.  He is a warrior.  The only favorable match-up in this game is whoever lines up across from Stewart......no one is taking what you guys have done as any less of an achievement than any other team before it.  Heck, you people realize Coalfield has basically a school, couple of small businesses, and a gas station.  No knock on the community but you could easily drive right by and never know you missed it. (I think our bus driver did one year and he has been driving down there close to 25 years...!) :huh: 

Fantastic accomplishment this year Jackets.....much respect from the Bros up North.  I hope you all go all Hickory Hoosiers on UC.  I think if Coalfield were to win, it might be right up there because absolutely no one thinks they got a chance....!  Not even Roy down at Ronnies Redneck Bar....!  Much less Bass.

Kazanity :thumb:  :thumb: