Blue Cross Bowl: Ravenwood vs Maryville

BigDave1967

Just about any coach worth 2.2 mil a year could beat those teams. the freshman argument is so stupid, some of these guys came in as if they were the best with hype that never showed to be fact, there is allot of freshman playing in every conference and its a fact that we had only one freshman that came close to living up to his hype, just a few teams playing freshman that lived up to the hype, GA,LSU,Clemson, OSU, just to name a few. Jones is great at hyping all he does but as the old saying goes , actions speak louder then words.

It's all smoke and mirrors with that guy. You see what happens when he gets off Brian Kelly's coattails, 2 straight NON winning records

Just about any coach worth 2.2 mil a year could beat those teams. the freshman argument is so stupid, some of these guys came in as if they were the best with hype that never showed to be fact, there is allot of freshman playing in every conference and its a fact that we had only one freshman that came close to living up to his hype, just a few teams playing freshman that lived up to the hype, GA,LSU,Clemson, OSU, just to name a few. Jones is great at hyping all he does but as the old saying goes , actions speak louder then words.

Yes, alot of teams have talented freshmen that perform well. But did any team have the amount of freshmen starting that UT did, and have all freshman on both sides of the line?No... Before this year started everyone knew that the vols had a very talented recruiting class coming in but they also knew the vols would be replacing all their linemen on both sides of the ball... It's tough to do that in the sec no matter how you wanna shake it.. You can say our recruits were all hype and no substance if you want to but you're overlooking a key factor in all of this... Our offensive line was inexperienced and we had guys in our backfield all season... It's kind of hard for RBs to make things happen when they got guys on top of them as soon as they get the ball and it's kind of hard for our QB to get the ball to our receivers when he is running for his life and getting sacked all the time. It's obvious that some of you guys are casual fans who just look at the win/loss records and can't see the big picture.

Its very funny listening to the reasoning on how butch has changed the program, the beginning of the season analysis of what any team will do is nothing more then speculation, even the so called experts are guessing with their predications saying a team will do this or that. Just as Jones made his rounds this week and saying people thought we would only win 2 to 4 games, the funny thing is even the pro butch radio shows around town called him out saying that they never heard that being said, lots and lots of feel good words and hype around a team that has made some progress but, still today does not have a win that you could consider special, many want to say well if the GA game would of should and all that stuff we could have beat them, well that goes both ways, if GA had this or that go their way they beat TN even worse then they did and really what has GA done that even makes them special, win nine, ten games in the east where a new team comes from a difference conference and wins the East not once but both years they have been here, come on get real the East is very bad, we had four teams lose to the ACC all on the same day and probably the East teams will have more loses then wins in the bowl games. to sum it up TN has got to get to the top of the East first and become the best of the worse that the conference has to offer, then once that happens they may have a win that justifies the butch jones statue. By the way being competitive is what all losers s,ay or they played their best, well at the end of the day if you lose you lost, the Alabama game was nothing more then a bunch of kids realizing that TN couldn't beat them so after making TN look silly for one quarter the players kicked in cruise control. Shape it how ever you like until TN is at the top of the very bad East then celebrating a bowl game is nothing more then celebrating a sub par season giving acceptance to being where you are.

Um.... Alot of sports analysts were saying Tennessee would go 4-8 or 5-7 again and not make a bowl. I heard nothing but doom and gloom in the pre-season... But that's not the point... The point is we won 6 games and are going to a bowl game for the first time since 2010. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that 6 wins is better than 4 or 5. And the vols are going to a bowl game with a team full of freshman that overcame key injuries and off the field issues. You can try to diminish the vols accomplishments if you want but it doesn't change the fact that were was lots of improvement this year.

it's his 2ND year here. If he doesn't have the talent or ability to coach up the freshmen he recruited, then he should of got some jucos. It's his team and his fault if they don't perform. Period. Of course you support mediocrity, you're a season ticket holder at William Blount. And I would lay down if I played for Dooley. Im sure you would of played your little heart out for that loser tho

I am not a supporter of mediocrity... I support my school through the bad and good times. I could be like all the casual fans in blount county who support maryville and alcoa because they are winning right now or all the Alabama fans you see in Tn right now because UT is down. Those types of fans make me sick to my stomach. I am behind my teams, win or lose, but that does not mean I'm content with losing.

Um.... Alot of sports analysts were saying Tennessee would go 4-8 or 5-7 again and not make a bowl. I heard nothing but doom and gloom in the pre-season... But that's not the point... The point is we won 6 games and are going to a bowl game for the first time since 2010. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that 6 wins is better than 4 or 5. And the vols are going to a bowl game with a team full of freshman that overcame key injuries and off the field issues. You can try to diminish the vols accomplishments if you want but it doesn't change the fact that were was lots of improvement this year.

I am not trying to diminish anything, I deal in facts and the facts are as one of the other post said allot of smoke and mirrors going on over there at the hill, your right they did play a bunch of freshman but correct me if I am wrong, any Sophomore or junior that played this year is two years under the guidance of the brick layer and his staff, so on one hand you say we don't have the talent but on the other you have players that has been under the new direction for two years and they haven't improved enough to make you competitive, isn't coaching about developing players not just trying to find all the all stars to win games for you, Alabama gets the stars then makes them fit their scheme in one year,  the fans bring up the inexperience , well you have players that have played for the layer for two years and have they improved? look at the numbers, look at where these players were when they got here and what have these same players accomplished. It can be said if Dobbs started every game maybe TN wins a few more, well Dobbs didn't start because you had a coaching staff saying he wasn't the guy nor ready, so which is it, the brick layer and his OC are great coaches on evaluating talent or they had no clue, oh wait you will say they were saving him for red shirt, take this to the bank, the Brick layers EGO is way to big to not have won more then six games, if he thought Dobbs wins games for him Dobbs would have been starting all along, Bottom line accomplish something then bang your chest, recruiting players is only part of the equation and lets not forget how many four and five stars never pan out, you don't here all these other coaches having gimmick saying to hype their teams they just show up and play.

If it rains what team would have the advantage. 

I think it might depend on just how much it is raining.  A light drizzle won't have much effect, but a heavy rain will make it pretty hard to pass the ball.  I think that will play into Maryville's favor.  Maryville has a big and solid defensive line with TD Blackman anchoring a good linebacking corp.  They will not be easy to run on, and anytime a team is or becomes one-dimensional against Maryville I like the Rebels' chances.  Throwing the ball will be a bit harder for Maryville as well, but they rely more on a shorter passing game, hitting people on curls, and outs, as well as in the flats.  That should make it a bit easier to handle than looking to go deep(er).  So, I think Maryville will still be able to be a little less one-dimensional with a shorter passing game. 

Ravenwood can certainly do the same thing, but the Maryville secondary has been quite good at handling shorter passes and making sure tackles in front of them.  That would mean that Ravenwood would have to dink and dunk their way down the entire field. Not sure that's a recipe to beat a Maryville team that will take advantage of any mistake.

An extra thought... a lot of ran makes for a slippery ball.  Maryville has had some issues with fumbling the ball this year.  So, that could definitely play into the hands of the Raptors.