Combined rankings

MatWiz

we have wrestled father ryan the past 3 years in duals and at thier tournament, wrestled baylor last year, saw cleveland at ooltewah a week ago, see soddy at thier tournament and will see mcallie and bradley at Halls.  the last 2 years the only div 1 AAA or a/AA school to beat us was cleveland so i think we are doing alright. and I  think we have been fairly tough at the end of the year. IS there room for improvement? sure. but not bad for a bunch of kids from the mt juliet/lebanon area.

Congratulations coach on building the Wilson Central wrestling program to where they are even in the discussion as being one of the better teams in Tennessee.  When you say "not bad for a bunch of kids from the Mt. Juliet/Lebanon area" what are you talking about?  IMO, your kids are the same as the kids at any other school in Tennessee and should be able to win a state championship just like Cleveland or Bradley. 

• Upvote 1

Congratulations coach on building the Wilson Central wrestling program to where they are even in the discussion as being one of the better teams in Tennessee.  When you say "not bad for a bunch of kids from the Mt. Juliet/Lebanon area" what are you talking about?  IMO, your kids are the same as the kids at any other school in Tennessee and should be able to win a state championship just like Cleveland or Bradley. 

just that you cant compare us to private schools like baylor, father ryan and christian brothers.  those are all very  well coached teams but not all the kids are from that area and thats just how private schools work which is fine and why there is a seperation between the public and private schools.  But i do enjoy wrestling them especially father ryan becasue of proximity and  because it is a good measuring stick on where the program is and what needs to be worked on and i think Pat is a class act. 

. As far as a state championship we're working towards that goal and im proud of how far the program has come in the 6 years ive been here in TN.  If it happens great if it doesnt I have nothing but pride and respect for the kids in the program and the knowledge that they are doing their best.

I also do not believe the last statement that any school can win a state title.  to do so everything has to fall into place for a program : the right kids on the team: the willingness to do what it takes to be good ,  quality coaching at all levels( youth, Middle and high school), budget : having enough money to travel and go face the best competition, support from the school administration and community, facilities and equipment. there are so many factors that need to fall just right. and im pretty sure thats not the case with all schools in TN.

im sure there are some teams that even with Dan Gable coaching them wouldnt be able to compete at a high level, they just might not have the athletes.  But thats wrestling and coaching - you play the cards you are dealt and  win the ones you can and lose the ones to the teams that are better than you and try and figure out why you lost and try to fix it and do better next time.

just that you cant compare us to private schools like baylor, father ryan and christian brothers. those are all very well coached teams but not all the kids are from that area and thats just how private schools work which is fine and why there is a seperation between the public and private schools. But i do enjoy wrestling them especially father ryan becasue of proximity and because it is a good measuring stick on where the program is and what needs to be worked on and i think Pat is a class act.

. As far as a state championship we're working towards that goal and im proud of how far the program has come in the 6 years ive been here in TN. If it happens great if it doesnt I have nothing but pride and respect for the kids in the program and the knowledge that they are doing their best.

I also do not believe the last statement that any school can win a state title. to do so everything has to fall into place for a program : the right kids on the team: the willingness to do what it takes to be good , quality coaching at all levels( youth, Middle and high school), budget : having enough money to travel and go face the best competition, support from the school administration and community, facilities and equipment. there are so many factors that need to fall just right. and im pretty sure thats not the case with all schools in TN.

im sure there are some teams that even with Dan Gable coaching them wouldnt be able to compete at a high level, they just might not have the athletes. But thats wrestling and coaching - you play the cards you are dealt and win the ones you can and lose the ones to the teams that are better than you and try and figure out why you lost and try to fix it and do better next time.

Coach, it was great seeing your kids this past weekend. They are and will be a force in the future of westling. You have done a great job with your program! Kudos to taking 3rd at the Indian Classic

UPDATE 12/17:

After a crazy weekend, these are my opinions with substantial evidence to support who is the top wrestlers in the state. Remember, this is largely based off my opinions and as the season continues it will continue to gain support and become more clear who the top dog is in each weigh. Please cut me some slack as this is a hard time because of major changes in weight and kids still adjusting to weigh classes

Team Rankings:

1. Baylor

2. Cleveland

3. Father Ryan

4. Bradley

5. McCallie

6. Wilson Central

Before you go trying to rip my head off for this one. I do realize that on 8th criteria, Father Ryan beat Cleveland. However, i believe with their full line ups that Cleveland would be able to edge out the win. "Cashville135" was trying to make an argument that Garstin was a major loss to the FRHS team but not nearly as much of a loss as Kennedy and Debian. I believe that by January this is how it will play out.

This week many rankings became clear but i think the ranking that became the most evident was this one:

Most testosterone on CoachT:

1. WesternWrestler

106:

1. Christian Simpson - (Father Ryan)

2. T.J. Hicks - (Bradley)

3. Trent Nelson - (TN High)

4. Sean Sesnan - (Lebanon)

5. Tucker Gill - (Notre Dame)

113:

1. Gabriel Elkin - (MBA)

2. Torribio Novarro - (Bradley)

3. Jack Shrader - (Franklin)

4. Raymond Eason - (Father Ryan)

5. Trevor Milling - (Baylor)

This week: Gabriel Elkin wrestled 113 at Tullahoma and defeated Torribio Novarro 5-1, Raymond Eason defeated Cody Mathews 15-7

120:

1. Trey Chalifoux - (Father Ryan)

2. Michael Elkin - (MBA)

3. Luke Mullin - (Notre Dame)

4. Nick Crawford - (Heritage)

5. Justin Becci - (Brentwood Academy)

This Week: Chalifoux got upset by Colton Landers, Michael Elkin moving up due to having strong performances so far.

126:

1. James Westbrooks - (McCallie)

2. Knox Fuller - (Bradley)

3. Colton Landers - (Cleveland)

4. Deven Cyree - (Tullahoma)

5. Jack Reynolds - (Baylor)

132:

1. Chris Debian - (Cleveland)

2. Kirby Simpson - (Father Ryan)

3. Lane Dickeson - (Wilson Central)

4. Tanner Tidswell - (Christian Brothers)

5. Sam Bellett - (MBA)

This Week: Kirby Simpson defeated Lane Dickeson

138:

1. Eli King - (Father Ryan)

2. Ethan Dendy - (McCallie)

3. Michael Murphy - (Baylor)

4. BamBam Feuerbacher - (Blackman)

5. Chris Rowland - (Ravenwood)

This week: Eli King defeated Michael Murphy

145:

1. Ezra Taylor - (Cleveland)

2. Caleb Powell - (Baylor)

3. Chris Wesnofske - (Father Ryan)

4. Tommy Bracket - (Christian Brothers)

5. Packy Mullin - (Notre Dame)

This week: Ezra Taylor with a big W over Wesnofske, Caleb Powell beats Wesnofske 

152:

1. Luke Hamilton - (Brentwood)

2. Mike Binns - (Wilson Central)

3. Mathew Sells - (Blackman)

4. Caleb Canada - (Baylor)

5. Nick Naughton - (Father Ryan)

This week: Luke Hamilton suffered a loss to Aaron Oliver however Luke was wrestling up and i believe is the man to beat at 152

160:

1. Blake Sutherland - (Baylor)

2. Tyler Garrison - (Blackman)

3. Tucker Russo - (Soddy Daisy)

4. Palmer Bagley - (Dobyns Bennett)

5. Aaron Oliver - (Cleveland)

This week: Jonathan Martin defeated Marcello Morrice, this is a stacked weight and i don't believe a 1-0 victory changes this weight class much. Very honorable mention to Jonathan Martin but i do not see this happening again and i see Marcello winning a D2 state title unless Sutherland goes 160 then he takes it.

170:

1. Sean Kennedy - (Riverdale)

2. Cayman Seagraves- (Baylor)

3. Zach Linton - (Wilson Central)

4. Dallas Broughton - (Christian Brothers)

5. Austin Hammonds - (Cookeville)

This week: Linton beat Hammonds in the finals of Ooltawa

182:

1. Chad Soloman - (Maryville)

2. Kaleb Rippy - (Beech)

3. Alex Omessi - (Ravenwood

4. Noah Kurtz - (St. Benedict)

5. Tyler Dean - (Dobyns Bennett)

195:

1. Ryan Parker - (Baylor)

2. Kiel Russell - (Clarksville)

3. Hunter Bagley - (Science Hill)

4. Clay Strawn - (Maryville)

5. Trel Phillips - (McCallie)

220:

1. Jon Gaither - (Cleveland)

2. Jon Schmissrauter - (Baylor)

3. Ben Stacey - (Father Ryan)

4. Josh Filbey - (Franklin)

5. John Kramer - (Wilson Central)

This Week: Stacey beat Gaither, Baylor beat Stacey, Gaither beat Baylor, Gaither beat Kramer

220 is a mess, it is a total shot in the dark and all these guys are neck in neck. Anyone could be the top guy as well as the #5 guy. Only time will tell who will stand on the top!

HWT:

1. Nick Boykin - (Riverdale)

2. Koran Kennedy - (Cleveland)

3. John Kelly - (MBA)

4. Devol Whitfield - (Beech)

5. Jonathon Ruth - (Dobyns Bennett)

Please inform me if there are any other corrections that need to be made. I believe i got most of them. After this next weekend and then heading into the holidays we will have more clear rankings. Especially after the holidays when wrestlers will receive the 2 pound allowance. A few big tests this weekend with the Bradley tournament, McCallie Invitational, and the Beech Invitational. 

Edited by MatWiz

just that you cant compare us to private schools like baylor, father ryan and christian brothers.  those are all very  well coached teams but not all the kids are from that area and thats just how private schools work which is fine and why there is a seperation between the public and private schools.  But i do enjoy wrestling them especially father ryan becasue of proximity and  because it is a good measuring stick on where the program is and what needs to be worked on and i think Pat is a class act. 

. As far as a state championship we're working towards that goal and im proud of how far the program has come in the 6 years ive been here in TN.  If it happens great if it doesnt I have nothing but pride and respect for the kids in the program and the knowledge that they are doing their best.

I also do not believe the last statement that any school can win a state title.  to do so everything has to fall into place for a program : the right kids on the team: the willingness to do what it takes to be good ,  quality coaching at all levels( youth, Middle and high school), budget : having enough money to travel and go face the best competition, support from the school administration and community, facilities and equipment. there are so many factors that need to fall just right. and im pretty sure thats not the case with all schools in TN.

im sure there are some teams that even with Dan Gable coaching them wouldnt be able to compete at a high level, they just might not have the athletes.  But thats wrestling and coaching - you play the cards you are dealt and  win the ones you can and lose the ones to the teams that are better than you and try and figure out why you lost and try to fix it and do better next time.

Coach Kramer, great post; however, a couple of issues:

Private schools can take students from all areas; however, metro and other public schools have taken students from other areas not zoned for their school due to many issues.  Also, tuition at Wilson Central is probably a lot less than it is at a private school.  Just saying....  I would also think it helps when a school district is open zoning.  It helps in getting kids who would be zoned for one school to go to another because of the open zoning in the area.  Also, just a question, is it cheaper for a home school student to participate in a public school athletic program than it does for a private school?  I do not know the answer to this question.  Can somebody answer this?

I applaud you for wrestling Ryan and the other private schools in Nashville.  It only makes your program better to wrestle the best competition.  The public schools in Nashville wrestling has been going down for years so it is great to see you going outside of it.

The split between public and private was not because of getting students from all the areas as you stated.  The split became because Brentwood Academy beat Riverdale in football.  

You have done a great job with Wilson Central and should be proud.  I am.  Keep up  the great job and keep pushing your program to the top.   

UPDATE 12/17:

After a crazy weekend, these are my opinions with substantial evidence to support who is the top wrestlers in the state. Remember, this is largely based off my opinions and as the season continues it will continue to gain support and become more clear who the top dog is in each weigh. Please cut me some slack as this is a hard time because of major changes in weight and kids still adjusting to weigh classes

Team Rankings:

1. Baylor

2. Cleveland

3. Father Ryan

4. Bradley

5. McCallie

6. Wilson Central

Before you go trying to rip my head off for this one. I do realize that on 8th criteria, Father Ryan beat Cleveland. However, i believe with their full line ups that Cleveland would be able to edge out the win. "Cashville135" was trying to make an argument that Garstin was a major loss to the FRHS team but not nearly as much of a loss as Kennedy and Debian. I believe that by January this is how it will play out.

This week many rankings became clear but i think the ranking that became the most evident was this one:

1. WesternWrestler

106:

113:

1. Gabriel Elkin - (MBA)

5. Cody Mathews - (Cleveland)

This week: Gabriel Elkin wrestled 113 at Tullahoma and defeated Torribio Novarro 5-1, Raymond Eason defeated Cody Mathews 15-7

120:

1. Michael Elkin - (MBA)

2. Luke Mullin - (Notre Dame)

3. Nick Crawford - (Heritage)

4. Justin Becci - (Brentwood Academy)

5. Ryan McElhaney - (Bradley)

This Week: Chalifoux is wrestling 126 for now and got upset by Colton Landers, Michael Elkin moving up due to having strong performances so far.

126:

4. Trey Chalifoux - (Father Ryan)

5. Deven Cyree - (Tullahoma)

132:

5. Sam Bellett - (MBA)

138:

4. BamBam Feuerbacher - (Blackman)

145:

2. Chris Wesnofske - (Father Ryan)

3. Tommy Bracket - (Christian Brothers)

4. Blake Solarek - (MBA)

This week: Ezra Taylor with a big W over Wesnofske

152:

3. Nick Naughton - (Father Ryan)

4. Mathew Sells - (Blackman)

5. Will Patton - (McCallie)

This week: Luke Hamilton suffered a loss to Aaron Oliver however Luke was wrestling up and i believe is the man to beat at 152

160:

1. Tyler Garrison - (Blackman)

2. Tucker Russo - (Soddy Daisy)

3. Palmer Bagley - (Dobyns Bennett)

4. Marcello Morrice - (Father Ryan)

This week: Jonathan Martin defeated Marcello Morrice, this is a stacked weight and i don't believe a 1-0 victory changes this weight class much. Very honorable mention to Jonathan Martin but i do not see this happening again and i see Marcello winning a D2 state title

170:

2. Blake Sutherland - (Baylor)

3. Austin Hammonds - (Cookeville)

5. Zach Linton - (Wilson Central)

182:

2. Cayman Seagraves - (Baylor)

3. Kaleb Rippy - (Beech)

4. Alex Omessi - (Ravenwood

195:

220:

1. Jon Schmissrauter - (Baylor)

2. Ben Stacey - (Father Ryan)

3. Jon Gaither - (Cleveland)

This Week: Stacey beat Gaither, Baylor beat Stacey, Gaither beat Baylor, Gaither beat Kramer

220 is a mess, it is a total shot in the dark and all these guys are neck in neck. Anyone could be the top guy as well as the #5 guy. Only time will tell who will stand on the top!

HWT:

3. John Kelly - (MBA)

Please inform me if there are any other corrections that need to be made. I believe i got most of them. After this next weekend and then heading into the holidays we will have more clear rankings. Especially after the holidays when wrestlers will receive the 2 pound allowance. A few big tests this weekend with the Bradley tournament, McCallie Invitational, and the Beech Invitational.

I agree with you 100%

Actually I saw one high school national ranking where Garstin was listed nationally because of his tough placing at liberty two years ago earning him all American status. So I do believe they are of equal value. Also Sutherland is down at 160 and defeated Marcelo Morrice with blissful ease. And Russo went 0-2 before getting injured.

MatWiz please correct these rankings because i have accuratley found out the issue. You attend a public school therefore you leave out many private school kids deserving of a rank.

Edited by westernwrestler

UPDATE 12/17:

Team Rankings:

1. Baylor

2. Cleveland

3. Father Ryan

4. Bradley

5. McCallie

6. Wilson Central

1. WesternWrestler

106:

113:

1. Gabriel Elkin - (MBA)

5. Cody Mathews - (Cleveland)

120:

1. Michael Elkin - (MBA)

2. Luke Mullin - (Notre Dame)

3. Nick Crawford - (Heritage)

4. Justin Becci - (Brentwood Academy)

5. Ryan McElhaney - (Bradley)

This Week: Chalifoux is wrestling 126 for now and got upset by Colton Landers, Michael Elkin moving up due to having strong performances so far.

126:

4. Trey Chalifoux - (Father Ryan)

5. Deven Cyree - (Tullahoma)

132:

5. Sam Bellett - (MBA)

138:

4. BamBam Feuerbacher - (Blackman)

145:

2. Chris Wesnofske - (Father Ryan)

3. Tommy Bracket - (Christian Brothers)

4. Blake Solarek - (MBA)

This week: Ezra Taylor with a big W over Wesnofske

152:

3. Nick Naughton - (Father Ryan)

4. Mathew Sells - (Blackman)

5. Will Patton - (McCallie)

160:

1. Tyler Garrison - (Blackman)

2. Tucker Russo - (Soddy Daisy)

3. Palmer Bagley - (Dobyns Bennett)

4. Marcello Morrice - (Father Ryan)

This week: Jonathan Martin defeated Marcello Morrice, this is a stacked weight and i don't believe a 1-0 victory changes this weight class much. Very honorable mention to Jonathan Martin but i do not see this happening again and i see Marcello winning a D2 state title

170:

2. Blake Sutherland - (Baylor)

3. Austin Hammonds - (Cookeville)

5. Zach Linton - (Wilson Central)

182:

2. Cayman Seagraves - (Baylor)

3. Kaleb Rippy - (Beech)

4. Alex Omessi - (Ravenwood

195:

220:

1. Jon Schmissrauter - (Baylor)

2. Ben Stacey - (Father Ryan)

3. Jon Gaither - (Cleveland)

HWT:

3. John Kelly - (MBA)

Not  a bad start. I will add a few results I know for sure.

o

113- Trevor Milling ( Baylor) has defeated Cody Mathews ( Cleveland) multiple times this year rather comfortably. 

120- Trey Chalifoux ( Father Ryan) wrestled 120 at the Cleveland duals.he wrestled 126 the night before vs Cleveland. Jack Reynolds (Baylor) Defeated Mcelhaney (bradley) in their dual last week by 7pts .

145- Caleb Powell ( Baylor) has defeated Ezra Taylor (cleveland) and Wesnofske ( Father Ryan ) this year. By pin and major if I remember correctly.  

152- Caleb Canada ( Baylor) defeated Nich Naughton ( Father Ryan)  

160- Sutherland is at 160 not 170. He wrestled up at 170 in his first match of the season vs Bradley County last week and against Martin from Cleveland this weekend. He defeated Maurice ( Father Ryan ) at 160 this weekend.  Russo ( Soddy) wrestled 152 at the Cleveland duals.

170- Seagraves (Baylor)  is at 170 not 182. He wrestled up at 182 in a  couple of matches to help fill a void.