Whitehaven 'The Haven' Tigers 2015

kwc

I Really don't know much about who will be on top over there.It's probably been covered,but besides  the strong program you always have,who else might come from the west this year.The middle of  the state is up for grabs every year and pretty much one football program on the other side that will be there toward the end every year

Whitehaven is considered to be the favorite out of Region 4 simply because they were the number 1 seed last year and played in the semi-finals last season. However, I must state that seven (7) of the eight (8) teams in Region 4 were playoff teams last season. Arlington, Bartlett, Collierville, Cordova, Houston, Whitehaven, and White Station all played in the 6A playoffs last season. There is only one team remaining that didn't have as successful of a season as they would have liked last year. That's Germantown, who will be breaking in a brand new HC ths year; who was the OC at Blythville, AR last season. This is a very good and very deep region.

This will be a very interesting season this year. Very interesting indeed.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe

I don't know if I'm going to go either. I'd like to go to both.

As I've said earlier in this thread, I think this year the City has some schools that will be competitive in the lower classes. KIPP in 1A. Treazevent, Mitchell, and Manasses in 2A. Raleigh Egypt, Melrose and Hamilton in 3A. Craigmont, East, and Ridgeway in 4A. Central and Kirby in 5A. I'm  anxious se how all of this plays out.

Edited by kwc

Whitehaven is considered to be the favorite out of Region 4 simply because they were the number 1 seed last year and played in the semi-finals last season. However, I must state that seven (7) of the eight (8) teams in Region 4 were playoff teams last season. Arlington, Bartlett, Collierville, Cordova, Houston, Whitehaven, and White Station all played in the 6A playoffs last season. There is only one team remaining that didn't have as successful of a season as they would have liked last year. That's Germantown, who will be breaking in a brand new HC ths year; who was the OC at Blythville, AR last season. This is a very good and very deep region.

This will be a very interesting season this year. Very interesting indeed.

Thanks kwc,it sounds like a very strong competition over there.

I Really don't know much about who will be on top over there.It's probably been covered,but besides  the strong program you always have,who else might come from the west this year.The middle of  the state is up for grabs every year and pretty much one football program on the other side that will be there toward the end every year

Whitehaven should NOT lose to anyone in the Shelby Metro/West TN area. If we continue to get better and stay healthy throughout the season we'll be Semi-finals bound. 

Whitehaven should NOT lose to anyone in the Shelby Metro/West TN area. If we continue to get better and stay healthy throughout the season we'll be Semi-finals bound. 

Sounds like a very strong team once again over there.If so,it looks like 1 and 4 could be pretty much a lock for the semi finals.What team do you think will come out of region 3 to face you in the semi's if everything goes well and your team does stay healthy.Also from top to bottom how do you think region 3 and 4 compare for the playoffs.I would give region 2 all but 3 games in the first round against region 1.

Sounds like a very strong team once again over there.If so,it looks like 1 and 4 could be pretty much a lock for the semi finals.What team do you think will come out of region 3 to face you in the semi's if everything goes well and your team does stay healthy.Also from top to bottom how do you think region 3 and 4 compare for the playoffs.I would give region 2 all but 3 games in the first round against region 1.

I never know who's coming out of Middle Tenn. I was surprised at Mt. Juliet. I thought Hendersonville was supposed to be the team to beat but Ravenwood came to Whitehaven and beat us. So I have the slightest clue. 

There is a Jackson Sun article I. The coach T homepage today about scheduling problems with Memphis schools. The article definitely sounds like it has a bias and I wanted you guys thoughts on what it said.

I'll go check it out and get back to you on it.

From The Jackson Sun

SHIELDS COLUMN: Football scheduling problems started in Memphis

Brandon Shields, The Jackson Sun 8:56 p.m. CDT August 12, 2015

B9318437597Z.1_20150812215636_000_GLKBK2

Haywood’s football team, seen here in a game against Liberty last year, is among the list of local teams whose schedules have changed because of scheduling mishaps originating in Memphis.

(Photo: MEGAN SMITH/The Jackson Sun)

This past summer has seen a high number of football teams in the area scrambling to fill their schedules with not much time remaining before the beginning of the season.

We thought Middleton, Adamsville and Peabody were waiting a long time to fill their rosters in May before we found out Haywood had to fill its schedule in late July.

A little more than a week before the season begins, we’re adding another team to that list: Humboldt. And if that wasn’t bad enough, it’s the Week 1 opponent, which is next week.

Humboldt was scheduled to play Memphis Academy of Health Sciences (MAHS) on Aug. 21 to begin the season. The contract was signed, and as far as the Vikings knew, everything was ready to go.

But the problem was MAHS had also signed a contract to travel to Brighton that night, according to Humboldt officials. When MAHS had to make the choice last week (which apparently they already had because apparently someone forgot they signed a contract after they threw the legal document away), they chose Brighton.

Humboldt head coach Junior Reid confirmed Wednesday night the Vikings will open their season at home next week when Fairley comes to town.

This is the latest of the series of changes that were made:

• Woodstock was supposed to be in Region 8-1A with Middleton and was set to play Peabody in a non-region game. They decided in January not to start a high school yet (expanding from a middle school), and they didn’t tell anybody outside Shelby County. Middleton head coach Craig Harris found out when he saw a story about it on TV news in Memphis in May.

• W.E.B. Dubois was also supposed to be in Region 8-1A. It came to light they weren’t fielding a team this year when Peabody contacted them about filling Woodstock’s spot on the Golden Tide’s schedule.

• Houston backed out of the contract it signed with Haywood to play a home-and-home over the next two seasons. They told new Haywood head coach Steve Hookfin they were willing to pay the penalty established in the contract (which is a step above not telling anybody you’re not playing football or just signing a contract with someone else).

There’s a pretty obvious common thread among these problems, and they all start in Memphis. These problems had more of an effect than simply having to find another game.

Middleton had an unofficial agreement to renew its rivalry with Fayette Academy, but when Dubois and Woodstock were late adds to the region, the Fayette game was a casualty. Then four months later when they were no longer on Middleton’s schedule, Fayette Academy’s schedule was already complete.

“That would’ve been a good one with a neighboring team about our size that we’ve had good games with in the past,†said Middleton head coach Craig Harris.

Middleton replaced the pair with Peabody and Adamsville.

Harris didn’t comment on the possibility that some of the Tigers’ games in Memphis might be moved to different days of the week as late as the week of the game.

“We made the schedule for each game to be on Friday each week, so we’re working on that kind of a schedule,†Harris said. “If they do get moved, I hope they let us know before that week.â€

India Weaver, the director of the Shelby County Interscholastic Athletic Association who is responsible for scheduling games, didn’t answer multiple voicemails to discuss the matter.

Because more there are more teams than there are fields in Shelby County and Memphis, most teams play their games on neutral fields throughout the city from week to week, and those games are played anywhere from Thursday to Saturday.

TSSAA assistant executive director Matthew Gillespie said there are no regulations giving a minimum amount of time for a game to be officially scheduled, but he did admit he’d never heard of that situation happening.

Hopefully Weaver is able to sit down and put together a schedule for the teams in her county for the next 11 weeks so coaches aren’t forced to rework their practice schedule because they decided on Monday to move a game to Thursday that week.

%3

Edited by kwc

My comments about the above written story by Mr. Shields.

Scheduling problems happen often. Especially when you are adding new programs. But, his attempt to lump all of Memphis and the surrounding area schools/coaches/administrations into one category is just downright reckless and unprofessional. He was being incendiary with his broad brush stereotyping comments. Par for the course actually when you think about it. It doesn't suprise me one bit.

My comments about the above written story by Mr. Shields.

Scheduling problems happen often. Especially when you are adding new programs. But, his attempt to lump all of Memphis and the surrounding area schools/coaches/administrations into one category is just downright reckless and unprofessional. He was being incendiary with his broad brush stereotyping comments. Par for the course actually when you think about it. It doesn't suprise me one bit.

There is no doubt that some of his info is correct. It is a shame with the scheduling problems that have occurred with a handful of the Memphis schools. However I do agree with you KWC.... The article is unprofessional and uncalled for. There are a few dozen Memphis area schools so in reality this involves a very small percentage of the schools. I just don't understand what he has to gain by doing such an article? I mean if area coaches are upset about scheduling conflicts, printing a derogatory article surely isn't going to help. Now you no chance of scheduling these few Memphis schools in the future and probably others. Makes no sense to me. Edited by BIGPURPLEMACHINE

There is no doubt that some of his info is correct. It is a shame with the scheduling problems that have occurred with a handful of the Memphis schools. However I do agree with you KWC.... The article is unprofessional and uncalled for. There are a few dozen Memphis area schools so in reality this involves a very small percentage of the schools. I just don't understand what he has to gain by doing such an article? I mean if area coaches are upset about scheduling conflicts, printing a derogatory article surely isn't going to help. Now you no chance of scheduling these few Memphis schools in the future and probably others. Makes no sense to me.

It doesn't matter one way or the other actually. Next season when teams need to schedule games, the schools in Memphis will receive calls for games like they have in the past, and vice versa. This article changes nothing in that regard. It did, however, open eyes to others who didn't realize what an issue it is for a lot of schools that don't have their own feilds, which is most schools in the City of Memphis.