Whitehaven 'The Haven' Tigers 2015

kwc

from the Commercial Appeal

COLLEGE FOOTBALL

Dodson leaving Memphis for Murray State

From staff, wire reports

Former Whitehaven High and Ole Miss running back Mark Dodson, who enrolled at the University of Memphis in January, is leaving the U of M for Murray State.

Murray State coach Steve Adams confirmed the move on his Twitter account by welcoming Dodson as “a new addition to the family.â€

Dodson was announced as a member of theU of M’s 2015 signing class in February after rushing for 373 yards and five touchdowns in two seasons at Ole Miss. Dodson appeared in all 13 games for the Rebels last season and averaged 6.9 yards per carry. He would have had to sit out the 2015 season for Memphis per NCAA transfer rules involving Football Bowl Subdivision programs. He will have to sit out a year at Murray State, a Football Championship Subdivision team, since he will have transferred twice to fouryear schools.

Tiger coach Justin Fuente had said he wasn’t certain what position the 5-10, 198-pound Dodson would have played for the U of M. When asked about Dodson on signing day, Fuente responded that Dodson has “a lot of work to do so I don’t know where he’ll fit.â€

Dodson would have been behind Doroland Dorceus, Jarvis Cooper and Robert Davis had he remained at Memphis, all of whom are listed as sophomores entering this fall.

Dodson was chosen the 2012 Tennessee Gatorade Player of the Year after leading Whitehaven to a 15-0 record and the Class 6A state title.

Edited by kwc

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

COLLEGE FOOTBALL

From staff, wire reports

Former Whitehaven High and Ole Miss running back Mark Dodson, who enrolled at the University of Memphis in January, is leaving the U of M for Murray State.

Murray State coach Steve Adams confirmed the move on his Twitter account by welcoming Dodson as “a new addition to the family.â€

Dodson was announced as a member of theU of M’s 2015 signing class in February after rushing for 373 yards and five touchdowns in two seasons at Ole Miss. Dodson appeared in all 13 games for the Rebels last season and averaged 6.9 yards per carry. He would have had to sit out the 2015 season for Memphis per NCAA transfer rules involving Football Bowl Subdivision programs. He will have to sit out a year at Murray State, a Football Championship Subdivision team, since he will have transferred twice to fouryear schools.

Tiger coach Justin Fuente had said he wasn’t certain what position the 5-10, 198-pound Dodson would have played for the U of M. When asked about Dodson on signing day, Fuente responded that Dodson has “a lot of work to do so I don’t know where he’ll fit.â€

Dodson would have been behind Doroland Dorceus, Jarvis Cooper and Robert Davis had he remained at Memphis, all of whom are listed as sophomores entering this fall.

Dodson was chosen the 2012 Tennessee Gatorade Player of the Year after leading Whitehaven to a 15-0 record and the Class 6A state title.

I wish he would have signed with Oregon, but I'm sure he'll set Murray St. on fire.

COLLEGE FOOTBALL

From staff, wire reports

BOOM!! Welcome to Racer Nation young man!

COLLEGE FOOTBALL

From staff, wire reports

from M A X Preps and CoachT

Mitchell ............................ Sat., Aug 22 (Whitehaven Classic - 8:00 PM) (H)

@ Florence, ALA ............. Fri., Aug. 28

Arlington .......................... Fri., Sept. 4 (H)

Ridgeway ........................ Fri., Sept. 11 (H)

@ Germantown ............... Fri., Sept. 18

@ Houston ...................... Fri., Sept. 25

Whitestation .................... Fri., Oct. 02 (H)

@ Bartlett ........................ Fri., Oct. 09

@ Collierville ................... Fri., Oct. 23

Cordova ........................... Fri., Oct 30 (H)

I see we are the road warriors this season with only 4 home games (Why am I not shocked at this!). That's ok because I don't mind going to watch us play at Germantown, Houston, Bartlett, Collierville, nor Cordova. As a matter of fact, I don't think I've ever watched a game in Cordova's stadium. Oh well, there is always a first.

The above schedule is corrected (The Cordova game is at Whitehaven instead of Cordova). I feel better knowing that we have 5 games at Whitehaven Memorial Stadium and 5 away games ... with one being a true 'Travel Game' where they have to pack their grip and hit the highway and do some extensive traveling.

Whitehaven had a scrimmage this past Friday vs. Memphis East... Memphis East scored 2 TDs to our 1. The Whitehaven Defense was good outside of 2 big plays. They created 3 TOs. We would have had a pick 6 but they blew it dead so I can't say it was 2 TDs all like I want to.

Offensively, we looked good running the ball (Huge Lineman and good RB depth both young and Old). The Short Passing game looked ok. I can tell it will be solid, but down the field passing left much to be desired.

Defensively, we are not as fast as I'm used to seeing us (Thus we had 2 Big plays happen ) But I can tell this Defense will Ball. They seem to have some good pass rushers and good synergy. We're not as fast but since we are back at playing in the "Rich Folks" league we'll be straight.

August 7 we are playing MUS, we'll see how good we really are. East didn't have the depth or physicality to give me the type of look we'd need to win our Region. MUS will. I hope the intensity level remains High against the Owls. Those mid game Lulls could kill us against the "Rich Kids." 

'Read The Signature'

Whitehaven had a scrimmage this past Friday vs. Memphis East... Memphis East scored 2 TDs to our 1. The Whitehaven Defense was good outside of 2 big plays. They created 3 TOs. We would have had a pick 6 but they blew it dead so I can't say it was 2 TDs all like I want to.

Offensively, we looked good running the ball (Huge Lineman and good RB depth both young and Old). The Short Passing game looked ok. I can tell it will be solid, but down the field passing left much to be desired.

Defensively, we are not as fast as I'm used to seeing us (Thus we had 2 Big plays happen ) But I can tell this Defense will Ball. They seem to have some good pass rushers and good synergy. We're not as fast but since we are back at playing in the "Rich Folks" league we'll be straight.

August 7 we are playing MUS, we'll see how good we really are. East didn't have the depth or physicality to give me the type of look we'd need to win our Region. MUS will. I hope the intensity level remains High against the Owls. Those mid game Lulls could kill us against the "Rich Kids." 

'Read The Signature'

I got a report on the East scrimmage as well. Seems to be a consensus about both of our lines ... DEPTH, DEPTH, and more DEPTH. Actually ... we have depth at every position. But it is blatently obvious in the OL and the DL positions. I'm told we are at least 2 deep at each position, and possibly 3 deep in some others. I'm just talking OL and DL in that regard.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the vertical passing game. We still have Kerrick and we all know he is a 'Go-getter'. We are replacing two very big WRs from last year's squad. We'll be fine in that department as well. With the run game we posses ... that point may be moot anyway. Besides, I'd like for us to utilize Mr. Rudd (TE) more in the passing game this season anyway. He's due for a breakout season and he's put his time in. From what I've seen of him, he's got very good hands.

I'll be at the MUS scrimmage. You already know that one will be well attended. They could charge admission if they wanted ... LOL.

I got a report on the East scrimmage as well. Seems to be a consensus about both of our lines ... DEPTH, DEPTH, and more DEPTH. Actually ... we have depth at every position. But it is blatently obvious in the OL and the DL positions. I'm told we are at least 2 deep at each position, and possibly 3 deep in some others. I'm just talking OL and DL in that regard.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the vertical passing game. We still have Kerrick and we all know he is a 'Go-getter'. We are replacing two very big WRs from last year's squad. We'll be fine in that department as well. With the run game we posses ... that point may be moot anyway. Besides, I'd like for us to utilize Mr. Rudd (TE) more in the passing game this season anyway. He's due for a breakout season and he's put his time in. From what I've seen of him, he's got very good hands.

I'll be at the MUS scrimmage. You already know that one will be well attended. They could charge admission if they wanted ... LOL.

Yeah, I hope the run game can be that tight. However, being one dimensional is never good when playing against quality Referees  (see what I did there) and teams... The first Whitehaven possession was a Maul fest. We ran the ball Smooth down East throat There were some missed holding calls (like 2). On the subsequent possessions (I'll say three 10 play drives) Whitehaven was called for at least 3-4 holds/block in the back on each possession (Some were real but most weren't). Not being able to score fast leads to phantom holding calls that can derail drives. Kerrick is all that and a bag of chips, but he can't throw himself the ball. MUS will be a good test to see how easily we make it out of the Area to the Semifinals

Edited by BlackHavenSenator

Yeah, I hope the run game can be that tight. However, being one dimensional is never good when playing against quality Referees  (see what I did there) and teams... The first Whitehaven possession was a Maul fest. We ran the ball Smooth down East throat There were some missed holding calls (like 2). On the subsequent possessions (I'll say three 10 play drives) Whitehaven was called for at least 3-4 holds/block in the back on each possession (Some were real but most weren't). Not being able to score fast leads to phantom holding calls that can derail drives. Kerrick is all that and a bag of chips, but he can't throw himself the ball. MUS will be a good test to see how easily we make it out of the Area to the Semifinals

Our run game is tight. It's not perfect ... that's why we practice and scrimmage ... but we have the road graders and the stable of RBs to be successful doing what we do best. Which is run the ball. However, we do posses a viable short passing game, which is a very good thing to have in order to 'move the chains'. The vertical game comes with time when breaking in a new QB to a new system. You'd much prefer perfecting the short passing game first anyway ... that and a potent running game will open the vertical passing game. It's all a matter of timing. Besides ... we have to develop some other WRs to go along with Kerrick. That's why I like Marvin Rudd so much ... he's able to fill a void in that regard.

I'm not worried about scoring fast. As a matter of fact, I'd much prefer if we learn to become disciplined enough to grind it out. That is always the best course of action. Refs will be refs. You can't let them get into your head. You do your job and let the chips fall where they may. We have to work on the hold/blocks in back ... real or imaginary ... it's an area of concern. Shooting ourselves in the foot because of those types of calls will only frustrate drives. It's a never ending battle for perfection. The real ones we can address. the imaginary ones we can do nothing about. Let's just address the things we can. Learn patience. I know the fan base wants instant gratification ... big plays ... but it's learning to grind that's what is necessary.

Edited by kwc