Whitehaven 'The Haven' Tigers 2015

kwc

It doesn't matter one way or the other actually. Next season when teams need to schedule games, the schools in Memphis will receive calls for games like they have in the past, and vice versa. This article changes nothing in that regard. It did, however, open eyes to others who didn't realize what an issue it is for a lot of schools that don't have their own feilds, which is most schools in the City of Memphis.

The only way the reporter could have gotten the info to write the article would be from coaches and schools that wanted to complain. If I am the coach of a Memphis school and one of these coaches calls me for a game in the future I probably don't take his call. There is a more professional way to handle things than to go crying to the media.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only way the reporter could have gotten the info to write the article would be from coaches and schools that wanted to complain. If I am the coach of a Memphis school and one of these coaches calls me for a game in the future I probably don't take his call. There is a more professional way to handle things than to go crying to the media.

BPM:

That would warrant the Memphis coaches caring about these coaches crying to the media. They don't. They have other things on their mind. Next year ... schedules will be made and games will be played and no one will care about or even remember this article.

Edited by kwc

The article was written in a fashion to get Clicks and likely have the message board under the real article some posts. Oh well. 

If I ever get on the School board my FIRST order of business would be to Allow more City schools to have their OWN Fields. That investment would create jobs for the city AND generate revenue for certain schools. Schools like White Station, Ridgeway, East and the like Should have their OWN stadiums. All is needed is two or three bleachers and a few poles for lights. Ticket gates and concession stands can be make shift and those schools and others like them such as Hilcrest, Mitchell, Hamilton, Westwood, etc. , can have more school pride and more importantly more of their OWN money. All these schools sharing fields has always been ridiculous imho. Some of these schools have ample room for everything to have their own field. 

The article was written in a fashion to get Clicks and likely have the message board under the real article some posts. Oh well. 

If I ever get on the School board my FIRST order of business would be to Allow more City schools to have their OWN Fields. That investment would create jobs for the city AND generate revenue for certain schools. Schools like White Station, Ridgeway, East and the like Should have their OWN stadiums. All is needed is two or three bleachers and a few poles for lights. Ticket gates and concession stands can be make shift and those schools and others like them such as Hilcrest, Mitchell, Hamilton, Westwood, etc. , can have more school pride and more importantly more of their OWN money. All these schools sharing fields has always been ridiculous imho. Some of these schools have ample room for everything to have their own field. 

Some of those schools use to have their own stadiums. Hillcrest I know because we (Whitehaven) plyed at their field my junior year. However, i don't see that happening. Ever.

From the Commercial Appeal

Shelby County sets football jamboree schedule

John Varlas

football_generic2_1407466288931_7268684_

You wouldn't know it by looking at the thermometer but high school football season is upon us.

The SCIAA Jamborees will take place Aug. 13-14 at Kirby and Whitehaven Stadiums. Admission for each night is $8.

Here are the schedules:

Aug. 13 at Kirby

6 p.m.: Oakhaven vs. Middle College

6:23 p.m.: Carver vs. MLK Prep

6:46 p.m.: Kirby vs. Northside

7:09 p.m.: Raleigh-Egypt vs. Overton

7:32 p.m.: Hamilton vs. Wooddale

7:55 p.m.: Craigmont vs. Cordova

8:18 p.m.: Bolton vs. Melrose

8:41 p.m.: Ridgeway vs. Germantown

Aug. 14 at Whitehaven

6 p.m.: KIPP vs. MAHS

6:23 p.m.: Westwood vs. Douglass

6:46 p.m.: Booker T. Washington vs. Fairley

7:09 p.m.: Sheffield vs. Mitchell

7:32 p.m.: Manassas vs. Hillcrest

7:55 p.m.: East vs. Southwind

8:18 p.m.: Central vs. Kingsbury

8:41 p.m.: Trezevant vs. White Station

9:04 p.m.: Central vs. Whitehaven

From the Commercial Appeal:

FOOTBALL JAMBOREE SCORES

At Kirby, Aug. 13, 2015

Middle College 6, Oakhaven 0

Carver 12, MLK Prep 0

Kirby 0, Northside 0

Overton 6, Raleigh-Egypt 0

Hamilton 12, Wooddale 0

Cordova 7, Craigmont 0

Melrose 14, Bolton 0

Germantown 14, Ridgeway 0

Edited by kwc

From the Commercial Appeal

Shelby County sets football jamboree schedule

John Varlas

football_generic2_1407466288931_7268684_

You wouldn't know it by looking at the thermometer but high school football season is upon us.

The SCIAA Jamborees will take place Aug. 13-14 at Kirby and Whitehaven Stadiums. Admission for each night is $8.

Here are the schedules:

Aug. 13 at Kirby

6 p.m.: Oakhaven vs. Middle College

6:23 p.m.: Carver vs. MLK Prep

6:46 p.m.: Kirby vs. Northside

7:09 p.m.: Raleigh-Egypt vs. Overton

7:32 p.m.: Hamilton vs. Wooddale

7:55 p.m.: Craigmont vs. Cordova

8:18 p.m.: Bolton vs. Melrose

8:41 p.m.: Ridgeway vs. Germantown

Aug. 14 at Whitehaven

6 p.m.: KIPP vs. MAHS

6:23 p.m.: Westwood vs. Douglass

6:46 p.m.: Booker T. Washington vs. Fairley

7:09 p.m.: Sheffield vs. Mitchell

7:32 p.m.: Manassas vs. Hillcrest

7:55 p.m.: East vs. Southwind

8:18 p.m.: Central vs. Kingsbury

8:41 p.m.: Trezevant vs. White Station

9:04 p.m.: Central vs. Whitehaven

FOOTBALL JAMBOREE SCORES

At Whitehaven, Aug. 14, 2015

KIPP 0, MAHS 0

Douglass 6, Westwood 0

Fairley 0, BTW 0

Mitchell 18, Sheffield 0

Manassas 14, Hillcrest 0

East 12, Southwind 6

Central 6, Kingsbury 6

Trezevant 6, White Station 0

Whitehaven 0, Central 0

• 1 month later...

Whitehaven DB’s commitment to Notre Dame is birthday gift to himself

By John Varlas of The Commercial Appeal

Posted: Yesterday 10:17 p.m.

On his 18th birthday, Donte Vaughn gave himself the biggest and best present.

Vaughn — Whitehaven's highly regarded senior defensive back — announced on Monday that he has verbally committed to play at Notre Dame. Verbal commitments are non-binding, but Vaughn is expected to make it official on National Signing Day in February.

"I planned it that way," said Vaughn of his birthday announcement. "It was a big-time decision and was something that I could give myself."

The 6-3, 195-pounder is ranked in seventh in the state according to Unapproved Website and is ranked as the 18th-best safety nationally in the Class of 2016.

Vaughn had several offers and said he chose Notre Dame over Texas A&M and Tennessee. He made his official visit to South Bend on Sept. 5.

"They're big on academics, plus they're a big-time football program, so really it's the best of both worlds," said Vaughn, who plans to major in business management. "It was hard to turn them down; you can really sense the tradition there."

Vaughn is the third player in Whitehaven's class of 2016 to verbally commit, joining wide receiver Kerrick Jones (Navy) and defensive tackle Michael Perry (Jacksonville State). He'll be the first local player to play for Notre Dame since Collierville's Matt Shelton, who played wide receiver there from 2001-2005.

If I remember correctly, big Delvin Salter (#66) has verballed to Jacksonville State, as well, along with Michael Perry.

Edited by kwc

Whitehaven DB’s commitment to Notre Dame is birthday gift to himself

By John Varlas of The Commercial Appeal

Posted: Yesterday 10:17 p.m.

On his 18th birthday, Donte Vaughn gave himself the biggest and best present.

Vaughn — Whitehaven's highly regarded senior defensive back — announced on Monday that he has verbally committed to play at Notre Dame. Verbal commitments are non-binding, but Vaughn is expected to make it official on National Signing Day in February.

"I planned it that way," said Vaughn of his birthday announcement. "It was a big-time decision and was something that I could give myself."

The 6-3, 195-pounder is ranked in seventh in the state according to Unapproved Website and is ranked as the 18th-best safety nationally in the Class of 2016.

Vaughn had several offers and said he chose Notre Dame over Texas A&M and Tennessee. He made his official visit to South Bend on Sept. 5.

"They're big on academics, plus they're a big-time football program, so really it's the best of both worlds," said Vaughn, who plans to major in business management. "It was hard to turn them down; you can really sense the tradition there."

Vaughn is the third player in Whitehaven's class of 2016 to verbally commit, joining wide receiver Kerrick Jones (Navy) and defensive tackle Michael Perry (Jacksonville State). He'll be the first local player to play for Notre Dame since Collierville's Matt Shelton, who played wide receiver there from 2001-2005.

If I remember correctly, big Delvin Salter (#66) has verballed to Jacksonville State, as well, along with Michael Perry.

I thought UT had a little hope. I guess I was wrong, can't say that I blame him tho. He should do great there all over that secondary.

I thought UT had a little hope. I guess I was wrong, can't say that I blame him tho. He should do great there all over that secondary.

UT had more then a little hope. They were the front runners in the Donte Vaughn sweepstakes. The way I understand things is that he was UT's to lose.