Do you feel it is right?

TNBBallFan15

I know many men that have coached their sons on the high school football team. If you are qualified and committed to doing what is best for the team without showing your child any favoritism, I see no problem.

Same here and in most cases were tougher on there kid than anyone else on there team.

I am several years away from this issue, but I think the answer depends on each father/daughter combination.  Here are the factors I plan on weighing.

#1-You are  parent first.  If you think that being your daughters coach is going to put a strain on your relationship that will hurt it forever, then you don't need to coach her.  If she blows a lay up that would have won you a game, will you be able to get into the car after the game and cry with her like a parent should?  Or will you be upset that the player next to you choked?

#2-How will the people around the program react?  If you are going to coach her, how will you respond to people that say she plays only because she is the coach's kid?  You have to be fair to her.  Don't be too hard because she's your daughter.  Don't be too easy because she's your daughter.

#3-Do you have good assistants?  You will need someone to be honest with you when you are in your blind spots.  The assistants need to be able to give you an honest assessment of your daughter.

#4-What does she want?  If she is scared of playing for you, figure out why.

Overall, I am very excited about potentially coaching my daughter.  I think the big key for us is drawing good boundaries about where the coach/player relationship starts and the father/daughter ends.

Good Luck.

The biggest issue is how good your daughter is. If she is obviously one of the best players it will not be a problem, but if she is average and she plays over average Suzy it will be a problem. When Al McQuire was told by a player that he was just as good as Allie (McQuire's son), his response was " you have to be better". 

Take the job and coach her like all the rest. The point of not being able to see her play if you don't is maybe the most valid one.

I would not trade coaching my daughter for anything. Being in a school that is a K-12 school in FL we moved there when she was in the 8th grade. She liked basketball from Oct.-Feb. not so much in the off season and that drove me crazy. We had one rule, I was coach at school, but when got in the car for the 30 minute ride home we would not talk basketball unless brought it up. We had our ups and downs for sure. It was all worth it to see her jump around when we won the State Championship. She turned down a JUCO scholarship to go to cosmetology school. It worked out just fine.

Do you feel it is right to coach your own daughter at the high school level? I am torn as I have been offered a position where my daughter will be playing in a few years (she is middle school now). I have a lot of mixed emotions and wonder if it works or if there are issues?

If anything if you coach your own child your usually harder on them than the rest of the team because you want them to do so well..But there is alot of accession when the coaches kid dont even need to be out there in any sport and it makes the coach look bad and people begin to talk about you and your kid..My advise is treat your kid the same as the rest of the team..Dont be no harder or easier on your child and things will work out..good luck