2015 Riverdale football schedule

davidlimbaugh

That's apples to oranges in my opinion. Got Siegel, Blackman, and Stewart's Creek splitting up talent now. Tough to make those runs Coach Rankin made now. Tough for anybody to do it. Yeah, Blackman and Oakland have been the best two over the past two seasons. Siegel prior to that with Stockstill. It goes in cycles. Offense had some new wrinkles last season. It just don't think that's a fair comparison. Rankin was/is a legend in High School football hard to hold anyone to those standards.

It may be apples to oranges but coaches will always be compared to successful predecessors. Calvin Short, Louis Thompson, Tommy Owen, Ken Netherland etc.

My friend LOD does not like the way the program, strength program, etc is conducted.  and the direction of the program. I like Coach A and thinks he is a good coach. I have known him for a long time. I do not come on here and make many opinions on the coach or program.

LOD is my Coach T friend. I respect him, but my opinions and thoughts are different. I won't slam LOD. He is a good man who has served our country and helped a lot of folks. Hope his health improves and I send prayers for the Clone

Wow, Wingman.  Longest post I've seen by you.  I failed to see where I was "slamming" anyone.  Only defending a guy based on his record.   I respect anyone who served in the military for this fine country.  Just not a fan of bashing anyone on a public forum, but hey, that's me.  No law against it.

That's apples to oranges in my opinion.  Got Siegel, Blackman, and Stewart's Creek splitting up talent now.   Tough to make those runs Coach Rankin made now.  Tough for anybody to do it.   Yeah, Blackman and Oakland have been the best two over the past two seasons.  Siegel prior to that with Stockstill.   It goes in cycles.   Offense had some new wrinkles last season.   It just don't think that's a fair comparison.  Rankin was/is a legend in High School football hard to hold anyone to those standards.

I agree Coach A is a 'nice' and dedicated man.  That's a given.

What I disagree with is his almost total lack of attention to the weight program, a dedicated Freshman team, total lack of depth except at RB and QB.

I also was not really down on him HARD until he gave us our first LOSING season in twenty years.

As to the Wing T, it by itself is not the problem.  It was his lack of use of the pass with it that gave other teams the defense advantage of loading the box on us every down.  Combine this with weak linemen that were exhausted by the second half due to no relief and HAVING to play both ways.  Add to this HIS choice of a Coach as  DC from a rival school that had NEVER beaten R'dale.  Luckily that problem is gone this year as DC.

Before Coach A came the ONLY school that had beat us in the county was Oakland.  Now they ALL have except LaVergne and Stewarts Creek!

I will now resume being bored and keeping quiet so I won't upset the faithful followers.

Wingman10, Thank You.  I think the world of you too and value your insight.  We just disagree on this man as a Coach, but not as a person as he IS a very good man.

I understand that.  I'm just saying the landscape has changed and no school is in a position in Rutherford County to be as fruitful as Coach Rankins Warrior teams.

Then how do you explain the 'other' schools here in the county going so far as they have to make do with what they have.

I keep hearing it is the lack of talent due to other schools opening.  The talent is there, but there is NO trying to get them out for football now.  Term I heard was the team was 'too big' when he got there.  Well it is NOT too big now.

Then how do you explain the 'other' schools here in the county going so far as they have to make do with what they have.

I keep hearing it is the lack of talent due to other schools opening.  The talent is there, but there is NO trying to get them out for football now.  Term I heard was the team was 'too big' when he got there.  Well it is NOT too big now.

I still feel it's been in cycles like I said.   Oakland had a couple of off years (6-5 in 2011 and 2012) after there championship under McDaniel.  Shadowens really didn't miss a beat once he got Blackman up to speed, so I'd agree with you there.  Bottom line for me is even if Aydelott isn't your guy, you have to understand there's no guarantee you improve with a different Coach.  How can you justify running off a guy who's won more games than any other team in his region during his tenure?  Just don't understand your logic I guess.  Again, I don't have ties to Rutherford County, Riverdale, or any other team over there.  I'm just playing Devils advocate here.

Edited by FreeAgent11

I still feel it's been in cycles like I said.   Oakland had a couple of off years (6-5 in 2011 and 2012) after there championship under McDaniel.  Shadowens really didn't miss a beat once he got Blackman up to speed, so I'd agree with you there.  Bottom line for me is even if Aydelott isn't your guy, you have to understand there's no guarantee you improve with a different Coach.  How can you justify running off a guy who's won more games than any other team in his region during his tenure?  Just don't understand your logic I guess.  Again, I don't have ties to Rutherford County, Riverdale, or any other team over there.  I'm just playing Devils advocate here.

The only cycle we see a Riverdale is the downward spiral this program has undergone over the past 10 years and the sprial of our support dollars going down the drain with no improvement.Even the sucess this staff has had only came from individual talent and not player developement. Just look up and down the sideline this year and see what the lack of player development and weight traing has done. This team looks like a freshman team. Lets face it, Coach A has been on cruise control and its time for a major tune up or overhaul..

Can someone post Aydelott's year to year record at Riverdale.  It seems that we're just on pretty steady downward trend.  If someone can post the records we can graph that and see what the trendline shows.  Rankin left some amazing talent for Aydelott and he had a lot of regular season success early on. Probably most fair to judge Aydelott's record from the 4th year post-Rankin to present.

During Aydelott's tenure every season has ended embarrassingly in one of the following ways:

1.  Team did not make the playoffs - twice I think

2.  Upset at home in the playoffs - three times that I can think of

3.  Blown out on the road in the playoffs. -- the rest i guess

That's apples to oranges in my opinion. Got Siegel, Blackman, and Stewart's Creek splitting up talent now. Tough to make those runs Coach Rankin made now.

This. I understand that the Riverdale fans have alot of nostalgia for Rankin seeing as how he was there during their golden age for football. Having said that, they are delusional if they think he would still be having the same success that he had then. I would also add that Rankin is not some world beater coach. He is just a decent coach that has been in great situations. As far as discipline and preaching fundamentals goes he is top notch but he is not going to win games with his Xs and Os and playcalling. Case and point.... In 2010 when they last beat Maryville they won the game on a TD in the final seconds. How? A simple run play on 4th and long from the 40. Is that a genius and creative play call? No... That is the type of play that only works if you have an overwhelming advantage in talent. Which is lucky for Rankin because they have an overwhelming talent advantage in most of their games every single year. He is not winning all of these games with his coaching skill by any means. He would not even come close to this level of success if he was coaching at the 6A level and running the same vanilla and one dimensional offense he runs at Alcoa. Edited by Governors91

This. I understand that the Riverdale fans have alot of nostalgia for Rankin seeing as how he was there during their golden age for football. Having said that, they are delusional if they think he would still be having the same success that he had then. I would also add that Rankin is not some world beater coach. He is just a decent coach that has been in great situations. As far as discipline and preaching fundamentals goes he is top notch but he is not going to win games with his Xs and Os and playcalling. Case and point.... In 2010 when they last beat Maryville they won the game on a TD in the final seconds. How? A simple run play on 4th and long from the 40. Is that a genius and creative play call? No... That is the type of play that only works if you have an overwhelming advantage in talent. Which is lucky for Rankin because they have an overwhelming talent advantage in most of their games every single year. He is not winning all of these games with his coaching skill by any means. He would not even come close to this level of success if he was coaching at the 6A level and running the same vanilla and one dimensional offense he runs at Alcoa.

You do not understand what was happening behind the scenes. You had the county super of schools, who was a Riverdale backer, allowing zone exemptions. (I was told when he left office that you would see a change and it happened. Rankin left soon after). Also Rankin actively got jobs at Nissan for families of players who "moved" into the area. (Knew a guy who knew a girl who worked in his office). Rankin is also a lot better than you give him credit for with maintaining a good program top to bottom. To his credit he made Riverdale a powerhouse.

Rankin is also a lot better than you give him credit for with maintaining a good program top to bottom. To his credit he made Riverdale a powerhouse.

I did give him credit. I specifically said he is top notch when it comes to maintaining team discipline and teaching fundamentals. I am talking about him from a play calling and Xs and Os standpoint. Most of the time Alcoa just has an overwhelming talent advantage over the team they are playing. But when Alcoa plays a team that has a similar or higher level of talent they almost always lose. I cant recall a time where I have seen Gary Rankin outcoach another coach to win a game. And I'm not familiar with Riverdale but from what I have heard he always had stud athletes there too. My point? Having stud athletes and playing against inferior competition will make any coach look good. Edited by Governors91

Here is the big difference in simple terms. Rankin knew the players names from 7th grade on up and participated in their development from year to year. Coach A has to tape players names on their helmets until their seniors....Its the level or should I say lack of level of development that has caused the downward spiral of the program, not rezoning or the lack of students or facilities. I seen it first hand. Three sons over the years with 2 state championships and its been a consistent downward spiral since...