Riverdale throwing game

ecu

kids know coach B believes in them. That is off the table. If they beat Tullahoma and Oakland they would have to play Blackman anyway to win the Region. Top 2 teams in each region advance. Gives Riverdale a different direction to advance to state tourney. Strategic planning. Business leaders and Generals at war do it all the time. Im sure you guys have heard the phrase "Win the battle but lose the war". No rules broken.

This really what you are going with...Strategic planning. When business leaders and Generals choose to "lose the battle" in an effort to "win the war", they don't tell their soldiers to fire their weapons just don't hit anything. They don't put a bad product in the market or employ bad marketing ideas. Good leaders don't ask their employees or soldiers to embarrass themselves in the name of strategy. Also, they are not using kids!

kids know coach B believes in them. That is off the table. If they beat Tullahoma and Oakland they would have to play Blackman anyway to win the Region. Top 2 teams in each region advance. Gives Riverdale a different direction to advance to state tourney. Strategic planning. Business leaders and Generals at war do it all the time. Im sure you guys have heard the phrase "Win the battle but lose the war". No rules broken.

So I guess you will be happy with a silver ball since your coach doesn't believe he can beat Blackmon. However you want to sugarcoat it, it is CLASSLESS!

This really what you are going with...Strategic planning. When business leaders and Generals choose to "lose the battle" in an effort to "win the war", they don't tell their soldiers to fire their weapons just don't hit anything. They don't put a bad product in the market or employ bad marketing ideas. Good leaders don't ask their employees or soldiers to embarrass themselves in the name of strategy. Also, they are not using kids!

lol, WarriorFan is doing everything he can to protect his "comrade" and to keep the Riverdale program from gaining a black eye from this one. At the end of the day, Riverdale is supposedly a national powerhouse, they purposely through the game because they are scared to death of Blackman and there's no way of defending the actions that took place here. Maybe a one year post season ban here for both teams would keep other programs from throwing games in the future... TSSAA would make a very strong statement by doing this as Murfreesboro, and Riverdale in particular, are among the elite when it comes to talking about girls basketball. Hopefully TSSAA does not sweep this under the rug or it will continue happening....

lol, WarriorFan is doing everything he can to protect his "comrade" and to keep the Riverdale program from gaining a black eye from this one. At the end of the day, Riverdale is supposedly a national powerhouse, they purposely through the game because they are scared to death of Blackman and there's no way of defending the actions that took place here. Maybe a one year post season ban here for both teams would keep other programs from throwing games in the future... TSSAA would make a very strong statement by doing this as Murfreesboro, and Riverdale in particular, are among the elite when it comes to talking about girls basketball. Hopefully TSSAA does not sweep this under the rug or it will continue happening....

I agree with you GC, but I believe the broom is already out and don't think anything will happen to either team.  Fans should have been allowed to get their money back!

Warriorfan can't seriously believe you condone what went on in this game?? What is the purpose of competitive sports? To teach life lessons. contrary to what "fans" think it isn't all about winning championships. Winning is important no doubt but your players should be taught how to win and win the right way. Yes coaches are hired and fired over wins and losses but that is another debate about high school coaching we can have because the pressure of that helps lead to this if you ask me. The ethics displayed in the game yesterday was terrible. I am a coach, been involved or coaching sports most of my life and I would NEVER intentionally lose a game EVER!! Have a son playing now and would not want him playing for a coach that would intentionally lose for whatever reason. As a coach don't know how you look your players in the face and say hey we gonna lose today because it is better for us in the long run. You keep saying no rules were broken but ethically the game was compromised. TSSAA may not due anything but schools that hired the coaches can. They were hired to win games and be positive role models for young people teaching them the right things. Never had one person hire me to intentionally lose. So interested to see how school administration handles it.

As a former coach, I admit considering "throwing" of a game for seeding in the region because we all know that some districts are stronger than others and 3 & 4 in some can beat 1 & 2 in others.  However, when it came game time - I could never do it and if I had, I SURE WOULD NOT HAVE INVOLVED KIDS. I could make coaching decisions that would affect the outcome without asking players to shoot at the side of the backboard or dribble back over the center court.  I am appalled that a coach would either ask or allow players to play in such a manner.  

This was not war. It was a high school basketball game.  I live here in Murfreesboro and am generally a fan of all the teams. I was only able to make the championship games yesterday and did not see the game in question, but if the videos I've seen are indicative of what happened, then the game was an utter disgrace.

The thing I cannot get over is the Coach asking his players to do what they did. What kind of coach does this? As a parent, I would have come down at halftime and probably removed my daughter if he were asking her to play that way. He embarrassed them.

I hope the teams are not punished. I think however, the coach should be severely reprimanded.

Just so there's no misunderstanding. I totally disagree with a coach deliberately throwing a game whether it is discreetly or openly as apparently this was done. The fact is this is nothing new. It's been happening for years.

The only difference is, most coaches are more discreet in how they throw a game. I have no less respect for a coach that openly shows their lack of integrity, such as was done here, than one who does it discreetly. Regardless of the rules, it is still being dishonest. Any coach who would do this is  cheating kids from not only one or more other teams but also his own players. It's too bad we have these type individuals influencing young lives, but that's the way it is and will continue to be!

Edited by rabbitranch