Riverdale throwing game

ecu

That Childress man has been advised of this

The pressure is on Childress to take the appropriate action here. They should both be disqualified for the rest of the season and teach everyone involved a life lesson. Barrett needs to realize that he's not at little ole Hickman Co. anymore. He's on the national scene with a spotlight on his team every time they play. This spotlight isn't quite the spotlight that he was looking for though.

The pressure is on Childress to take the appropriate action here. They should both be disqualified for the rest of the season and teach everyone involved a life lesson. Barrett needs to realize that he's not at little ole Hickman Co. anymore. He's on the national scene with a spotlight on his team every time they play. This spotlight isn't quite the spotlight that he was looking for though.

There are no rules saying you have to play to win.  Why should anyone be disqualified or reprimanded?  It was a coaching decision.  Neither coach broke a rule.  Not much can be done if you didn't break a rule of the by-laws.  Shoot for next year if it is an issue at the next TSSAA meeting and get it ammended.  This year is done.  No rules broken.

Edited by WarriorFan

Why is this all about Coach Barrett at Riverdale?  All you guys do is focus on him because he is successful and you hate the Riverdale program for their tradition.  Smyrna won over 20 games as well this year along with beating Oakland, and came within 1 point of beating #4 in the nation (M A X P R E P S) Potters House.  Smyrna isn't a pushover.  If you listen to the radio podcast, the head coach for Smyrna (Middleton) pulled his starters first.  You all just make it about Riverdale because you cant stand them as only  2-3 teams in the state can possibly beat them year in and year out.  Riverdale has only 5 upper classmen, and they are loaded with athletes for years to come. It is not an issue of inferior talent and being scared of Blackman.  Riverdale has played Blackman twice competitively, and won 3 of the 8 quarters they have gone head to head with them.   They just chose to go about their road to the state on a different path.  Coach Barrett's character is beyond great.  He broke no rules, nor did Coach Middleton at Smyrna.  You are very naive if you think coaches don't strategize their positions in brackets.  It happens more than you think.  Until the TSSAA looks at how they do brackets, it is not a coaches fault for figuring out positioning.  As for what it teaches the kids, it teaches them teamwork.  When the team wins, they all win....when the team looses, all the kids loose.  They function as a team and everyone knows their role.  Kind of like a chess game.

You guys are making way too much out of this.   :bored:

I mostly watch 13 AA  ball so I can honestly tell you my comments on this issue don't come from any jealousy or hatred to Riverdale, and I don't know the coach's name or face.  But I can tell you this without knowing him.  If he is a man with any character he should be regretting the coaching decision he made in this game.  Totally disgraced himself, his girls, his school and the game of basketball.  I don't care if it happens all the time or not.  At least have enough respect to not make an open mockery of the game.  In 20 years of watching girls and boys ball in our district, I can tell you I've never seen a coach intentionally throw a game. What I have seen often is underdog teams or less-talented teams win big games and championships because of the heart and determination of its players and coaches.  Basketball games aren't played with chess pieces, they're played with human beings.  And gold balls are won with more than strategy and x's and o's of the game alone.  They are won because of a belief and passion and desire to be winners.  This coach missed the mark on this one. 

Just like in other life situations, there are often consequences for bad choices. This should be the case here regardless if a rule was broken or not.

Who is to quantify if it was a bad choice?  By whose rules was it a bad choice and where does it say in the by-laws that if you chose to lose, it is a bad choice.  We are a country made of laws and rules.  The rule must be written and agreed upon by all members who choose to abide by TSSAA membership for it to be decided there is a rule infraction and there should be a reprimand.  You cannot reprimand/punish someone if they did not break a rule that was agreed upon.  That is overstepping official boundaries and becoming the morals police on issues that no one agreed to in the first place.  You cannot make up rules as you go or hold a coach accountable for rules not even in existence.

Edited by WarriorFan

Rutherford County has taken a beating lately by bad press. First the whole shad issue and now two teams throwing a basketball game. Complete disgrace to the good of high school sports. Rules may not have been broken but etchics and life lessons were compromised. Usually coaches talk of winning and losing with Grace as a team. Unfortunately for these two teams the adults were poor excuses of a role model and no team member was strong enough to do the right thing and play ball.

Whether you guys see this or not, Riverdale got the worse end of the stick.  They now have to go thru the District 8-AAA Champion and #1 seed from 8-AAA instead of playing the District 8AAA Runner-Up and #2 seed.  Riverdale is the #4 team in District 7-AAA.  They entered the District Tourney the #3 seed to begin with and was not given preferential seeding for the Region.  If Riverdale advances, they will have to play Oakland.....a team who earlier in the year was ranked a top 10 team in the US.  If they get past Oakland, then they will play Blackman....reigning National Champs and State Champs.  Riverdale is seeded lower than any team in Region 4-AAA.  They do not have it easy in any capacity.

Edited by WarriorFan

Who is to quantify if it was a bad choice? By whose rules was it a bad choice and where does it say in the by-laws that if you chose to lose, it is a bad choice. We are a country made of laws and rules. The rule must be written and agreed upon by all members who choose to abide by TSSAA membership for it to be decided there is a rule infraction and there should be a reprimand. You cannot reprimand/punish someone if they did not break a rule that was agreed upon. That is overstepping official boundaries and becoming the morals police on issues that no one agreed to in the first place. You cannot make up rules as you go or hold a coach accountable for rules not even in existence.

Warriorfan is trying too hard to defend these allegations. I'll ask a few questions and answer honestly warriorfan.

1- Have coaches been fired or reprimanded for running up the score? Is there a rule for that?

2- Have coaches been reprimanded or fired for acts that "paint the school in a bad light?" This is a broad "catch all" for poor conduct right?

I'm curious to read your reply. I hope you don't continue this charade. Your comments in defense of this are neither factually correct or tactically strong. I'm not sure what you do but I'm certain is doesn't involve debate or defense of a position or person.

Whether you guys see this or not, Riverdale got the worse end of the stick. They now have to go thru the District 8-AAA Champion and #1 seed from 8-AAA instead of playing the District 8AAA Runner-Up and #2 seed. Riverdale is the #4 team in District 7-AAA. They entered the District Tourney the #3 seed to begin with and was not given preferential seeding for the Region. If Riverdale advances, they will have to play Oakland.....a team who earlier in the year was ranked a top 10 team in the US. If they get past Oakland, then they will play Blackman....National Champs. Riverdale is seeded lower than any team in Region 4-AAA. They do not have it easy in any capacity.

Get out of here with that!!!!!