Riverdale throwing game

ecu

I don't believe for ONE second every player/parent/fan of these two schools would look these coaches in the eye and say they agree with the decisions made.  Tradertwo you are exactly correct by saying this is a cowards way out, plain and simple.  Many coaches might "think" of ways or scenarios to benefit their teams but most of them have enough respect for themselves and their players to not go about it the way these two did.  We could all argue forever on this discussion because warriorfan is only looking at the rules and strategies of the game and the others of us know that it is about SO much more.  What's really sad is that the two teams and coaches aren't gonna be recognized for the great things they may have done this year...............................they're gonna be remembered for blatantly disrespecting high school athletes and sports programs.

Someone needs to start posting videos/examples of teams that overachieved, teams that beat better opponents, teams with heart and desire, teams with coaches who go above and beyond to do the right thing.  Those are the stories of winners and the ones we all like to hear.  I'm gonna be looking for some to share.  Anyone got something?

I would be willing to put my last dollar on it that 99% of you guys here blasting these coaches and programs have no tie to either team as alumni, teacher, employee or administrator at the schools, on the Rutherford Co county school board, are a parent, fan or even live in Rutherford Co. Most of you with a few exceptions here have never even been in either schools gym. It is the coaches business what they did. The majority of you hated Riverdale before this even happened because they win consistently year after year and post 20 game+ wins even in down years. Both coaches did what they did for the better of their team in advancing toward the state tournament. I don't think either coach has a "character issue" like you guys are throwing around. We all have character flaws, but coming out and saying it before you have talked to or gotten to know either coach or know both sides of a story is pretty judging. I was at the game and cannot say at first I was understanding because I too like to win, and didn't want Riverdale to lose, but as I thought about both coaches strategy, I understood. It was no big deal. For the record...the fans I saw that were standing up booing the loudest had on Oakland colors or were wearing Oakland gear. They too had no dog in the fight except who they had to play in Region brackets.

Where were you all when 8-AAA teams used to throw games all the time to stay out of Shelbyville's bracket? Wasn't there a game Lawrence Co was involved in years ago that the score was under 10 pts? You guys are making mountains out of molehills. If you don't like what happened and you are a coach or athletic director, take it up with the TSSAA at the next session to lower the amount of teams that make it to Region to 2-3 per district. You can either gripe about it here and get nothing done or be proactive and make something happen to further your concern. Again...no rules of the game were broken by either coach.

I was born & raised & still live in RUCO... & have been in both of these gyms SEVERAL times. So your point is mute there.... And I PROMISE you, the fans sitting behind me booing were Smyrna fans - they were actually yelling and booing at their own coach. I'll finish this by saying, I am now the biggest Oakland/Blackman fan there is and I hope those are the two teams representing this district at the State Tournament.

I was born & raised & still live in RUCO... & have been in both of these gyms SEVERAL times. So your point is mute there.... And I PROMISE you, the fans sitting behind me booing were Smyrna fans - they were actually yelling and booing at their own coach. I'll finish this by saying, I am now the biggest Oakland/Blackman fan there is and I hope those are the two teams representing this district at the State Tournament.

Look... I know you have been in Riverdales gym after looking at your twitter videos and that is why I didn't say All.....I said 99%. I am glad u r an Oakland/Blackman fan BC you never were a Riverdale fan to begin with, so nothing has changed. Too much bad blood in AAU issues. BTW, which HS did you go to in RUCO? I didn't know you were from here. Edited by WarriorFan

Look... I know you have been in Riverdales gym after looking at your twitter videos and that is why I didn't say All.....I said 99%. I am glad u r an Oakland/Blackman fan BC you never were a Riverdale fan to begin with, so nothing has changed. Too much bad blood in AAU issues.

Lol!! Please educate yourself before you speak on issues you know nothing about.

I have been around Tennessee girls' basketball for a long time as a coach, parent, and fan.  I did not see this game and do not know anything about the coaches involved.  I do not cast any blame on the players.  To be the best, you have to beat the best.  Throwing a game to me is indefensible for any reason.  Cowardice and lack of integrity immediately come to mind as descriptions of the coaches' behavior in this game, apparently on both sides.  If I were the athletic director or principal at either school, I would consider suspending or even dismissing the coaches involved. 

• Upvote 1

LOL... Riverdale is a powerhouse, yes... No debate there. The problem is, this powerhouse backed down and took the easy way out. How do you play this game an have the Riverdale pledge hanging on the wall?... If people are okay with this going on in your program and community, then it speaks volume of the Riverdale community as well.

He is the only Riverdale fan saying what they did is ok and that tells me all i need to know.