Turf at Cleveland

fooseball96

My question is, this county open zoned? Would have to be because lots of HS coaches also run the jr feeder programs. I know at say Macon Co and Smith Co,the head coach at the HS's might not be the head coach at the jr highs but they run the program and hand pick the coaches. Macon has RBS in the same county, Smith has Gordonsville. Now if this county is open zoned, I could see why the rules are in place. Jr High kids could go to either hs, so state doest want the high school coach influencing those kids on school choice.

If you live in the city limits, you can go to whatever school you want. But if you live in the county you have to pay tuition to go to a city school

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My question is, this county open zoned? Would have to be because lots of HS coaches also run the jr feeder programs. I know at say Macon Co and Smith Co,the head coach at the HS's might not be the head coach at the jr highs but they run the program and hand pick the coaches. Macon has RBS in the same county, Smith has Gordonsville. Now if this county is open zoned, I could see why the rules are in place. Jr High kids could go to either hs, so state doest want the high school coach influencing those kids on school choice.

If you live in the city limits, you can go to whatever school you want. But if you live in the county you have to pay tuition to go to a city school

Bradley County / City of Cleveland would be considered Open Zoned. You can go from Middle School to any of the High Schools.

The only caveat is the tuition if you are a county student wanting to go to Cleveland High, which used to be the difference between the what the City gets from the county to help fund city schools and the actual cost per student the city spends. The county is required to supply a portion of the funding to city schools based on student populations. If you are a city student there is no tuition to go to a county school.

The rules the TSSAA has, basically says all information has to flow through guidance counselors and coaches can have no contact with the student athlete outside of that process. That is my understanding at this point.

Edited by alt1958

oridgecat--According to the TSSAA there are NO FEEDER SCHOOLS in Tennessee. NONE. NADA. ZILCH. NIL. If a high school coach contacts a middle school student in any way concerning sports at their school, then he or she is in violation of the TSSAA policy. It is a very unfortunate rule that is violated repeatedly probably about every day in the state of Tennessee. This is the very reason that both these schools have been cited for breaking the TSSAA policy. At least that's what the letter from the TSSAA has reported to each school. 

^^^^ Well that's stupid because every high school (except the privates) has feeder schools. If a student goes to Carpenters Middle or Union Grove Middle they are zoned for William Blount High School. I think its dumb that a WB coach could get in trouble for talking to kids at those schools. I mean those kids are going to be at WB anyways.

^^^^ Well that's stupid because every high school (except the privates) has feeder schools. If a student goes to Carpenters Middle or Union Grove Middle they are zoned for William Blount High School. I think its dumb that a WB coach could get in trouble for talking to kids at those schools. I mean those kids are going to be at WB anyways.

And it's even worse in this situation because Cummings is a teacher at cleveland middle school lol.

So if a high school coach comes and watches spring practice and encourages the kids, not actual coaching, that is a violation? What about all of the high schools that are doing the signing days for 8th graders at the kids school to sign up to be an athlete at the high school? What about 8th graders that are voluntarily working out with their sport at the high school? Can coaches not talk to them? This all seems ridiculous and there needs to be more clarification in the bylaws that states what's permissible and what isn't.

oridgecat--According to the TSSAA there are NO FEEDER SCHOOLS in Tennessee. NONE. NADA. ZILCH. NIL. If a high school coach contacts a middle school student in any way concerning sports at their school, then he or she is in violation of the TSSAA policy. It is a very unfortunate rule that is violated repeatedly probably about every day in the state of Tennessee. This is the very reason that both these schools have been cited for breaking the TSSAA policy. At least that's what the letter from the TSSAA has reported to each school. 

There are NO FEEDER SCHOOLS. None, Nada, zilch, nil.  Yeah right.  T$$AA.  It's embarrassing for the state of TN. Pathetic