criteria for hiring coaches

broadcaster54

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a young coach, and from my experiences there are two main criteria to get hired.

1. It's all about who you know. Connections are huge in any job because that lets your name spread from person to person. If someone with a good track record will vouch for you, that will greatly increase your chances of getting hired.

2. Being able to sell yourself. If you get an interview then you have to be able to sell yourself, as a coach, to the AD or whomever is doing the hiring. Make them believe you are the perfect fit for that program.

Thank you all for the advice. I have learned the "who you know" is very true and I have tried making connections. My principal/AD has been great by sending references and helping out with those type of things. I have interview for multiple jobs and it seems that I get to a second and third interview most of the time. I just always get beat out by a coach with years of experience. thanks again everyone.

As a former coach and P.E. Major I can tell you the first thing you need to do is get certified to teach a core subject such as science or math. With your PE certification its easy to add endorsements by taking a couple Praxis Tests. Im now an athletic director and if I am looking for a coach in any sport I will post the openning for other subject areas. Pe is usually going to a football coach at most schools.

more one can do does help..thanks Gailee for helping the other guy

good discussion. now who is the main person that does the hiring...the principal, athletic director or is the school director instrumental in the hiring process?

I would say that varies from school to school. First step is selling the AD in almost every case but the final approval is further up the line but I would say most are inclined to trust the recommendation of the AD.

good discussion. now who is the main person that does the hiring...the principal, athletic director or is the school director instrumental in the hiring process?

I have always heard principal, but it depends on the situation and the state of the program and history of it as well. Mostly principal though. 

I've wondered this for a while. I graduated college in 2013 and have 4 years experience coaching at the high school level as an assistant. I was on staff at a D1 school (2yrs as a manager, 1 as a student assistant). I keep getting the we want someone with more experience. i am certified in health,pe, and drivers Ed and cannot get a job in the district in which I coach bc none of them are leaving. Sadly I cannot even get a job somewhere without coaching. Any suggestions on what I may be doing wrong?

Hate to say it but you are in a very narrow window for job openings with your certifications.   Most wellness positions go to head coaching candidates that have experience.

I've wondered this for a while. I graduated college in 2013 and have 4 years experience coaching at the high school level as an assistant. I was on staff at a D1 school (2yrs as a manager, 1 as a student assistant). I keep getting the we want someone with more experience. i am certified in health,pe, and drivers Ed and cannot get a job in the district in which I coach bc none of them are leaving. Sadly I cannot even get a job somewhere without coaching. Any suggestions on what I may be doing wrong?

I would suggest getting a certification in another area. There are some programs that have a "fast track" for obtaining additional certifications. Your certifications generally go to the football staff. Your health certification may make it easier to get certified in science. I tell kids that ask for coaching advice to get certified in science, math or English. Those certifications will lead to teaching positions anywhere. Our school system is always looking for Spanish teachers too. Also, consider looking at a private school which may allow you to teach in another certification while your are pursuing your certification for that discipline.

Good luck!

Edited by IrishBBall