TSSAA to look at open zones, privates, new classifications possible

GWAVE1

If they don't have a complete split, I'd rather see MBA, Ensworth, etc brought back in one division. Have a 1.5 multiplier for non aid and 2.0 for aid schools.

The small and medium size schools would continue to have to play private schools unless there is a total split, the large schools shouldn't have to miss out on the fun.

One potential issue, if possible, try and make the regions so no single public school (or a couple) is in there with five or six private schools.

If they don't have a complete split, I'd rather see MBA, Ensworth, etc brought back in one division. Have a 1.5 multiplier for non aid and 2.0 for aid schools.

The small and medium size schools would continue to have to play private schools unless there is a total split, the large schools shouldn't have to miss out on the fun.

One potential issue, if possible, try and make the regions so no single public school (or a couple) is in there with five or six private schools.

Your plan about placing everyone back together is reasonable & doable. I would take it one step farther and have districts with 7 or 8 schools for football with the top two teams going to the playoffs. That would give each school the opportunity to go out and play who they want for 3 or 4 games each season. If they want to travel to Concord, California and play DeLaSalle on ESPN or stay at home and play Little Sisters of The Poor they would have those opportunities. The best part is the out of district games would have zero bearing on the playoffs. Edited by cbg

Your plan about placing everyone back together is reasonable & doable. I would take it one step farther and have districts with 7 or 8 schools for football with the top two teams going to the playoffs. That would give each school the opportunity to go out and play who they want for 3 or 4 games each season. If they want to travel to Concord, California and play DeLaSalle on ESPN or stay at home and play Little Sisters of The Poor they would have those opportunities. The best part is the out of district games would have zero bearing on the playoffs.

I like how you're thinking, but my question is how many classes would there be?

You would have about 340 teams. That would be ideal for 6 classes, 56-57 teams per class, 8 regions and avg of 7 teams per region. An Ensworth or Brentwood Academy moving up would require schools to move down to keep the classes equal in number.

I am still for a total split but if the private schools are in small and medium classes they should be in the large classes. Schools with 1500-2000 plus students should be able to field competitive teams, on the average, though some haven't done/wouldn't do well in either situation.

You would have about 340 teams. That would be ideal for 6 classes, 56-57 teams per class, 8 regions and avg of 7 teams per region. An Ensworth or Brentwood Academy moving up would require schools to move down to keep the classes equal in number.

I am still for a total split but if the private schools are in small and medium classes they should be in the large classes. Schools with 1500-2000 plus students should be able to field competitive teams, on the average, though some haven't done/wouldn't do well in either situation.

You will have 344 schools (D1 & D2) participating in football for the 2015-16 school year.

4 classifications would have 86 schools in each classification playing football.

If you had 16 districts across the state that would be 5.375 teams per district. Take the top 2 schools from each district to the playoffs to form a 32 team bracket. This would give most schools the opportunity to schedule 4 or 5 out of district games that would have zero impact on them getting into the playoffs.

If you went to 3 classifications and 16 districts you would have 7.16 schools per district with the top two schools going to the playoffs.

IMO, Tennessee would be better with 3 classifications but you will never get the majority of schools to vote for 3 classes for football.

You will have 344 schools (D1 & D2) participating in football for the 2015-16 school year.

4 classifications would have 86 schools in each classification playing football.

If you had 16 districts across the state that would be 5.375 teams per district. Take the top 2 schools from each district to the playoffs to form a 32 team bracket. This would give most schools the opportunity to schedule 4 or 5 out of district games that would have zero impact on them getting into the playoffs.

If you went to 3 classifications and 16 districts you would have 7.16 schools per district with the top two schools going to the playoffs.

IMO, Tennessee would be better with 3 classifications but you will never get the majority of schools to vote for 3 classes for football.

4 classes is better than 6.

4 or 5 would be better than 6 except some teams would have a hard time finding 6 non league opponents (5.3 avg in district). Also some loaded districts might have 3 or more really strong teams which is why I'd want four making the playoffs.

Another thing, if you have 4 classes, the cutoff for the largest class is lower, and the smaller the school, on the average, the less chance to compete with incoming Division II-AA teams.

4 or 5 would be better than 6 except some teams would have a hard time finding 6 non league opponents (5.3 avg in district). Also some loaded districts might have 3 or more really strong teams which is why I'd want four making the playoffs.

Another thing, if you have 4 classes, the cutoff for the largest class is lower, and the smaller the school, on the average, the less chance to compete with incoming Division II-AA teams.

I have made the following proposal several times on this board:

Everyone is placed back together in Tennessee.

1A Small schools (No private schools or magnet schools)

2A No financial aid giving schools (Not even the small ones)

3A

4A

* The only exception I would make is for the very small private schools that do not have football at the present time or they are playing 8 man football. I would consider allowing them to play in 1A for 1 enrollment period which would be 4 or 6 years to establish their program.

Again,

People keep saying we need to go back to 3 classes. Why? I have heard people argue that we have too many classes for the population. But that argument doesn't hold any water because Alabama has over a million less people than Tennessee and they have 7 classes. I personally think these people wanting 3 classes are old timers that are still living in the good old days. That... And some just like to complain. Going back to 3 classes would make things even more lopsided than they are right now. It just wouldn't work.

Again,

People keep saying we need to go back to 3 classes. Why? I have heard people argue that we have too many classes for the population. But that argument doesn't hold any water because Alabama has over a million less people than Tennessee and they have 7 classes. I personally think these people wanting 3 classes are old timers that are still living in the good old days. That... And some just like to complain. Going back to 3 classes would make things even more lopsided than they are right now. It just wouldn't work.

Gov91, I think part of the problem for us fans that were part of the system back then was that the system worked. There were over 100 teams in each class and besides one or two privates that refused to move up and play with the bigger schools even when they could the system was great. You had traditional rivalries and getting to the playoffs meant something. When the TSSAA jumped to 2 extra classes not just one things started to get cloudy. Tennessee should never have been a 5 class state in the 90's. Then instead of fixing the problem with going back to a 4 class system, which by the way not many would have opposed, they added yet another class. The TSSAA has been fighting to keep 6 classes and the extra money ever since. How many plans and changes do we have to go through to keep it? This current set up is only adventagious for large enrollment schools not the entire scope of high school football in this state. Now I realize a fan in your position who has not been accustomed to viewing the playoffs loves this because your team is guaranteed an eleventh game. However, no matter how you slice it or try to spin it, your regular season is lessened because you do not have to earn your spot like other smaller schools that do. It comes down to lost revenue by the smaller schools. 3 classes would not work anymore I agree, but 4 still would. Notice the changes that have been adopted by the privates since this change in the 90's. It is undeniable an advantage. Maybe if you had several large privates in your area you would understand that aspect. This current system is either gonna be revamped or done away completely in 2 years you watch and see. My main contention is teams with losing records and I mean undeserving bad records are going to make the playoffs. Let the top 16 get in from your 6-A class instead of all 32 get in and then you have a decent system. But it is going to change. What Alabama, Georgia, New York or whomever does is irrelevant simply because of the geography and school size in this state. Check the school sizes in Alabama and see if they have a larger disparity in school size. I do not know but I bet they do.

If we went back to 3 or 4 classes the rich would just get richer. Since it would be a whole lot tougher to get into the playoffs kids would flee their schools to go to nearby powerhouses like Maryville,Alcoa etc and those schools would be even more dominant. It wouldn't make things any more competitive. Secondly.. People keep talking about how more teams making the playoffs= blowouts which is stupid because there's always been blowouts in the playoffs. I guarantee you the majority of the 1st round matchups for 6a will be very competitive except for the 1 vs 8 matchups. I personally like the current set-up and didn't have a problem with the last one either. Heck I wouldn't even mind the old 5 class system. I just think 3 or 4 classes would be stupid.