TSSAA to look at open zones, privates, new classifications possible

GWAVE1

I'm glad we are teaching our kids that life is fair and that they will always have a level playing field. If they don't, somebody will insure that they do.  Good job Tennessee adults.

The purpose for TSSAA's existence is fairness and a level playing field in athletics...if you have one goal, do the best job that can be done. The whole "little Johnny gets a trophy", and "life isn't fair" response from those who hold the obvious advantage is petty and cheap. The argument that a rural school who's student body is comprised of every child within a limited geographical range should be placed in the same category with an urban school who's enrollment number is controlled and selected by administration, just because enrollment numbers are similar is ridiculous. 

When did Hillsboro fall into that elite group?

Hillsboro has made alot of appearances in state title games. Also they handily defeat most schools they play in middle Tennessee. Hillsboro is located in a great area for a school with a favorable zone and a program that allows people to transfer there if a school doesn't offer one of the courses in the program they have. Burro football is back on the rise and kids will continue to find a way to attend.

I think the TSSAA will spend all their time chasing OOZ players if open & closed zone schools are split. Heck, there might not be but a just few closed zone schools when it's all said and done. Might have to get the FBI to handle all the investigations.

FBI is tied up in Rutherford county right now

I think the TSSAA will spend all their time chasing OOZ players if open & closed zone schools are split. Heck, there might not be but a just few closed zone schools when it's all said and done. Might have to get the FBI to handle all the investigations.

FBI is tied up in Rutherford county right now

The purpose for TSSAA's existence is fairness and a level playing field in athletics...if you have one goal, do the best job that can be done. The whole "little Johnny gets a trophy", and "life isn't fair" response from those who hold the obvious advantage is petty and cheap. The argument that a rural school who's student body is comprised of every child within a limited geographical range should be placed in the same category with an urban school who's enrollment number is controlled and selected by administration, just because enrollment numbers are similar is ridiculous.

There are quite a few rural schools that are open zoned too. In your system were would they play? Against other rural schools or with a multiplier and move up?

Hillsboro has made alot of appearances in state title games. Also they handily defeat most schools they play in middle Tennessee. Hillsboro is located in a great area for a school with a favorable zone and a program that allows people to transfer there if a school doesn't offer one of the courses in the program they have. Burro football is back on the rise and kids will continue to find a way to attend.

They mostly play other metro schools who are not the best competition. Look at the past when they have played other non metro schools they do not fare as well. I agree they are a quality program with a good coach but I think it is wrong to put them in the same category with those teams that were listed. Only time will tell if they are on the rise or if last year was the exception. They will have a much tougher time with the Sumner Co schools just like they had with the Williamson Co ones a few years back. We will see I guess.

Scrap D1 and D2 have three divisions: Class AAA can be all large schools, urban/metro schools, all open boundry schools, magnet schools and private schools. Class AA Medium sized boundry zoned schools and Class A small rural schools AND small boundary zoned schools. In football split the privates and publics in AAA for playoffs. There would be 4 classes for football, privates play their own title, small or rural schools play each other. That should level the playing field. Edited by QSouth89

Scrap D1 and D2 have three divisions: Class AAA can be all large schools, urban/metro schools, all open boundry schools, magnet schools and private schools. Class AA Medium sized boundry zoned schools and Class A small or rural boundary zoned schools. In football split the privates and publics in AAA for playoffs. There would be 4 classes for football, privates play their own title, small or rural schools play each other. That should level the playing field.

Do you know how many teams that would put in AAA? So your saying North Greene High school that is open zoned and has 300 kids would play against DB, Science Hill, etc. would level the playing field? Not a smart move at all

Edited by Swipes

Do you know how many teams that would put in AAA? So your saying North Greene High school that is open zoned and has 300 kids would play against DB, Science Hill, etc. would level the playing field? Not a smart move at all

North Greene would be considered rural I should have elaborated more. AAA would be all LARGE schools URBAN/METRO and privates. Class A rural AND small non boundry schools. Like someone said earlier there is no way you can't make everyone happy and this state is too small for so many classes in football. Edited by QSouth89

North Greene would be considered rural I should have elaborated more. AAA would be all LARGE schools URBAN/METRO and privates. Class A rural AND small non boundry schools. Like someone said earlier there is no way you can't make everyone happy and this state is too small for so many classes in football.

That would get into what would you classify as rural then. Opening up a bag of worms. I would consider all of Greene. Co. Rural but other would say it wouldn't be. All of Greene Co. is open zoned. What people are missing is open zones came about for academic reasons not athletic reasons. I lived in Greene Co. But always attend the city schools ever since I started school for a better education. My parents went to 2 different county schools and sad enough when it comes to education city schools have always had higher test scores and more kids to go to college.

That would get into what would you classify as rural then. Opening up a bag of worms. I would consider all of Greene. Co. Rural but other would say it wouldn't be. All of Greene Co. is open zoned. What people are missing is open zones came about for academic reasons not athletic reasons. I lived in Greene Co. But always attend the city schools ever since I started school for a better education. My parents went to 2 different county schools and sad enough when it comes to education city schools have always had higher test scores and more kids to go to college.

I lived in the tri cites area for 10 years so I'm familiar with Greene County. Greeneville (in my system) would classify as AA all other schools class A. I don't have any solution to this just giving an idea. Once they split the privates and publics I believe it's going to get messy because of the number of teams in the state and the level playing field. When the TSSAA put the 32 largest schools together people started complaining about that and a lot of teams really wanted Maryville placed there too. It won't end because you can't satisfy everyone Edited by QSouth89

I lived in the tri cites area for 10 years so I'm familiar with Greene County. Greeneville (in my system) would classify as AA all other schools class A. I don't have any solution to this just giving an idea. Once they split the privates and publics I believe it's going to get messy because of the number of teams in the state and the level playing field. When the TSSAA put the 32 largest schools together people started complaining about that and a lot of teams really wanted Maryville placed there too. It won't end because you can't satisfy everyone

I understand were your coming from that you can't please everyone. Just didn't know exactly what you would classify as rural or not. Not a bad little plan but like always you will have people upset