TSSAA to look at open zones, privates, new classifications possible

GWAVE1

East Nashville is the only Paideia high school in metro making it an academic school whiteshadow. It's also a lottery school.

How many national merit finalist and semi-finalist at East Nashville compared to Hume Fogg & MLK? Edited by cbg

In reality you have four different groups involved in this

1. D2 Privates - They aren't going back into D1.  They dont want to0 and have a good system.

2. D1 Privates- They dont want to play in D2 and give financial aid.  Most couldn't compete with D2 schools.

3. Open Zone public schools and magnet schools- In many ways they have more of an advantage then Private schools in getting athletes with no tuition.  However those that win are doing things right and if you took the open zone away then people would still move into the district to play.  

4. Closed zoned rural schools- They will struggle to compete due to population base.  However every now and again they have a talented group that can beat anyone in their class in D1.  

5.  Urban public schools- They can get athletes from a large school zone as well as those athletes that move around.

As far as a plan the TSSAA wants to what is best for all parties involved which is hard to deal with based on the differences.  All things aside it does take alot of money to run a quality association and Tennessee athletics and their organization are far better than most neighboring states.  Therefore here is my thoughts with the new plans.  

The D2 financial aid schools problem was solves along time ago so leave them alone.  Do not force the D1 privates into D2 because then you will form a new associaotion and I think everyone loses due to what that would force private schools to become.

My answer is allow D1 privates to play in D1 for the regular season and then have their own state tournament.  This allows the schools to continue to operate as they are and solves the championship issue.

As for open zoned/magnet schools move them up one class.  As for closed zone urban and rural schools obviously they fall into classification of their enrollment.  However since D1 privates are no longer participating in post season play go back to a 5 class system with in football 5A being the super 32 which I think is a great idea.  In my opinion this keeps the positive points of the current plan in place as well as allows schools to continue operating as they desire.  In the end high school athletics is still about participation for kids not just titles.  Lastly I will say this in regard to football.  Milan, Maryville, Alcoa, Hillsboro, Trousdale County, Knox Fulton will continue to win football championships regardless of the classification set up.  The best teams and programs will always win and players will find a way to attend those schools.  

Ahh that's not quite true, but you're point is valid. Metro Atlanta has a population of 5.6 million, which is a little more than half of the entire state of Georgia's population of 10.1 million. Tennessee as state has a population of 6.5 million.

my numbers were a few years old off wiki...point is with a rough 4 million more residents, why would TN crown 1 more state champion than they do? It waters it down.

In reality you have four different groups involved in this

1. D2 Privates - They aren't going back into D1. They dont want to0 and have a good system.

2. D1 Privates- They dont want to play in D2 and give financial aid. Most couldn't compete with D2 schools.

3. Open Zone public schools and magnet schools- In many ways they have more of an advantage then Private schools in getting athletes with no tuition. However those that win are doing things right and if you took the open zone away then people would still move into the district to play.

4. Closed zoned rural schools- They will struggle to compete due to population base. However every now and again they have a talented group that can beat anyone in their class in D1.

5. Urban public schools- They can get athletes from a large school zone as well as those athletes that move around.

As far as a plan the TSSAA wants to what is best for all parties involved which is hard to deal with based on the differences. All things aside it does take alot of money to run a quality association and Tennessee athletics and their organization are far better than most neighboring states. Therefore here is my thoughts with the new plans.

The D2 financial aid schools problem was solves along time ago so leave them alone. Do not force the D1 privates into D2 because then you will form a new associaotion and I think everyone loses due to what that would force private schools to become.

My answer is allow D1 privates to play in D1 for the regular season and then have their own state tournament. This allows the schools to continue to operate as they are and solves the championship issue.

As for open zoned/magnet schools move them up one class. As for closed zone urban and rural schools obviously they fall into classification of their enrollment. However since D1 privates are no longer participating in post season play go back to a 5 class system with in football 5A being the super 32 which I think is a great idea. In my opinion this keeps the positive points of the current plan in place as well as allows schools to continue operating as they desire. In the end high school athletics is still about participation for kids not just titles. Lastly I will say this in regard to football. Milan, Maryville, Alcoa, Hillsboro, Trousdale County, Knox Fulton will continue to win football championships regardless of the classification set up. The best teams and programs will always win and players will find a way to attend those schools.

When did Hillsboro fall into that elite group?

All Privates to D2.

All Public Schools to D1.

The TSSAA is throwing in the open zone issue because it muddies the water about the issue at hand. I think it is going to stay as is even though the majority of schools want the split.

For those that say the D2 schools will leave the TSSAA, who cares? The organization will continue to be in existence and run. What is really lost by the privates splitting away? Are they going to start recruiting kids to come to their schools? Wait, that is already happening so I don't understand the big worry about private schools leaving the TSSAA. Am I missing the elephant in the room?